Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

exodus

Efficiency Noob
Nov 2, 2016
Hey ! Nice looking case! I had an idea about a case, and i started to search internet for what i need. Then i found your case. it is really identical what i had in mind. Hope this will be available soon, so i don't even start to sketch mine at all. I tried to reach you also on another forum, but i am unable to activate my account.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Exodus,
Thanks for the post. I have an interest/pre-order list to see if there is enough people interested to do a first production run. PM me if interested and I'll add you to the list.

Thanks!
Firewolfy

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Status Update
Working with several new sheet metal houses on quoting, and feedback on design for manufacturability (DFM). Emphasis is on simplification and efficiency at low volumes.

FYI -- anyone interested in some of the background on this case can check it out over on H.

Be careful out there.
F

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Note -- I post on H and O forums as well, so for those who don't visit those forums out there, I'll try to cross post with updates and such to keep everyone up to speed. And for those who do visit those other establishments, you might run across a duplicate update every once in a while...

Well, I have been working on publicizing the case to determine interest. We are at about 15 on the interest/pre-order list.
The plan is to get to more than 30, maybe up to 40, then take the next step and kick off a first run.

A few more updates--
On the sheet metal quoting front, I have been working with 2 new potential shops. One ended up too expensive, but I visited the second shop and he is working on quote package. Should have that within a week.

PCIE riser: Case will have mounting hole patterns for 3M, ModDIY, Samtec and LiHeat. Have been using the ModDIY for a couple weeks full time, and It is working well. The plan is still to ship with the ModDIY riser, since LiHeat has not launched their new riser yet, and the others are more than double the price.

Prototyping: I have been thinking one more prototype is needed to make the final case in all its glory (instead of test versions), verify the design, and demonstrate that the supplier can make it correctly, before a production run. The current prototype 2 level hardware I used for fit checks and thermal testing is a bit long in the tooth. The design has been tweaked in several places (simpler divider, slotted cover, pci cover, simpler chassis) and both the cover and front plate were test configurations. Unfortunately the cost of 2 more prototypes is $600-800, so it may take some time to figure out how to fund that sort of thing. I do remember that the M1 had a prototype kickstarter, so that may be an option.

That's it for now!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
We are at about 15 on the interest/pre-order list.
The plan is to get to more than 30, maybe up to 40, then take the next step and kick off a first run.

I'd aim to get at least double the minimum order quantity needed on the interest list before moving too far, not all of the list will convert to actual purchases. Even 50% is optimistic, 20% is more realistic.

Unfortunately the cost of 2 more prototypes is $600-800, so it may take some time to figure out how to fund that sort of thing. I do remember that the M1 had a prototype kickstarter, so that may be an option.

If the cost of prototypes is too much to bear personally, then a crowdfunding campaign to fund it would be a good idea. It would give you practice and can generate media attention.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Technically not Kickstarter, but NCase used Indiegogo to fund both the prototype and the production run.

There is one notable benefit to using Indiegogo over Kickstarter for the prototype, because IGG does not require a physical proof of concept to launch a campaign, while Kickstarter does. NCase was able to bootstrap the prototype build for this reason on Indiegogo. So you can use IGG's plaform just providing some renders of the concept and providing a thorough description.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Aibohphobia and CC: Thanks for the info and ideas. Good point on the pre-ordering. Might be best to drum up significantly more interest then consider Indiegogo.

exodus

Efficiency Noob
Nov 2, 2016
I don't know is this appropriate comment. But, i was thinking, does it make any sense to to put the power on top? to blow out hot air. I am not sure would that stress the PSU too much tho. Then you could maybe also fit another fan with it too. What i have noticed on my own current small build, that blowing air out is needed alot. I don't know is this an issue, when you have all the important components taking air straight outside the case. But i could believe you still have to get rid of the hot air. Or will the excess pressure made with the components be just fine.
By that, it could have maybe 2 fans at top. if there is even room for 2 without stretching. Only say this because it might give some new ideas. i am sure you have think trough alot stuff already. It can be seen on the design. :)

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Exodus,
Yes, you are right that there can be component heating from all the hot air exhausted internally (cpu and gpu). I adjusted the case to fit a 92mm fan in the bottom. You can check page 13 I think for some thermal test data, that shows that works to keep hdd and backside M.2 temps down.
I'll check to verify that it is on p13.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015

Yes Aibohphobia, you are correct. Sorry about that exodus, I was thinking of another forum. Here is the test result:

I was testing the effect of both case fan (100% vs off) and openness of the top case ventilation. (G5 was a test of a damaged IS-60 CPU cooler, so you can ignore that line).
In both tests G1 and G4 with case fan on, the HDD temp was 5 deg lower than G2 and G3 where the case fan was off.
FYI, the case fan is located in the bottom of the case and is a Noctua 92mm slim.

EDIT: Here is test config: SF450 PSU, Fatality MB, i7-6700k, Gigabyte GTX1070, 1 SSD under MB, 1 HDD.

Reactions: Phuncz

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Sorry all. Been on a bit of a project hiatus with not much progress. --was chosen to participate in a RIF, so working on getting my primary job going again. Should be back working the Mi-6 within the month. Thanks for your patience.

Reactions: cmyk78 and Phuncz

equilni

Chassis Packer
Oct 7, 2016
Yes Aibohphobia, you are correct. Sorry about that exodus, I was thinking of another forum. Here is the test result:

I was testing the effect of both case fan (100% vs off) and openness of the top case ventilation. (G5 was a test of a damaged IS-60 CPU cooler, so you can ignore that line).
In both tests G1 and G4 with case fan on, the HDD temp was 5 deg lower than G2 and G3 where the case fan was off.
FYI, the case fan is located in the bottom of the case and is a Noctua 92mm slim.

EDIT: Here is test config: SF450 PSU, Fatality MB, i7-6700k, Gigabyte GTX1070, 1 SSD under MB, 1 HDD.
I am curious, I believe the original idea had vent holes in the front for the GPU exhaust. Would the temps have decreased if the vents were still present? I didn't read the entirety of the other forum, but I did see where it was removed partially because of costing:
https://hardforum.com/threads/firew...-a-65mm-cooler.1882784/page-4#post-1042193339

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=6046#kf

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I am curious, I believe the original idea had vent holes in the front for the GPU exhaust. Would the temps have decreased if the vents were still present? I didn't read the entirety of the other forum, but I did see where it was removed partially because of costing:
https://hardforum.com/threads/firew...-a-65mm-cooler.1882784/page-4#post-1042193339

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=6046#kf

equilni,
Well, I have not tested the effect of front exhaust vents. It would be interesting to test that at some point. I assume it would help with temperatures at least a bit, since it reduces the opportunity for hot air recirculation.

Although I think the case fan in the bottom of the case helps to drive out the hot GPU exhaust before it can get to the HDD or other nearby components. Since the GPU temps were acceptable in the extreme testing series, I hadn't given it another thought. Do you think the GPU temps would need to be lower for your situation?

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Looking for Your feedback....

Been a bit fidgety about the front face and it's lack of features, -may make it seem a bit, well, how best to put this: Huge and plain.
Been thinking of doing this to the front: A laser etched center line, and also round the bottom corners.

I must beg for forgiveness on the pic colors I have been showing. For some reason my renderer actually renders a black exterior as pitch black with no detail, so I have to lighten it to a more grey appearance to get details.

Note, the goal is still to produce these in black.

Thoughts?

Thx