Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Wow great job!
A tight fit, but the cooling fins run vertical, so the end being blocked shouldn't matter much for airflow and cooling, right?

Like you said Fire with the vertical fins I figured there would not be much heat exhausting out the end. I did some comparison between the 2070 and my MSI 1070, temps are the same with a max of 82C during benchmarks. The MSI was definitely quieter, the fans on the Inno3d max at 4300 rpm and sound like small fans that are running that fast. Up to 2500 rpm they are pretty quiet so I am going to keep an eye on actual gaming temps and set a lower fan profile if I can get away with it.

Performance increase aren't huge @Jello, bit better than a 1080. I went from 15246 to 18340 in Firestrike and 5985 to 8052 in Timespy. Stock clocks on both cards.

Big part of it was I needed to scratch that upgrade itch. ;)

Reactions: Jello

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Nice fit @rfarmer , I'm very jealous, but I'm going to wait until the next gen AMD gpus are released to see if upgrading from my 1070 will be worthwhile, ie. I'm waiting for real benchmarks, not these leaks that have been coming out slowly.

I'd like to stick with AMD GPUs for a while, but the lack of higher end mini cards makes it more of a test of loyalty. Also, given that they are still not as power-efficient as Nvidia cards. The upcoming RTX 2060 should slightly edge out the GTX 1070 in performance.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Yeah the lack of high end mini AMD cards is disappointing, hopefully that turns around with this generation. I too have the upgrade itch, but since I'm looking to upgrade my monitor, my first choice is a 1440p ultradwide with Freesync, which would be the main deciding factor to switch to an AMD card.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Yeah the lack of high end mini AMD cards is disappointing, hopefully that turns around with this generation. I too have the upgrade itch, but since I'm looking to upgrade my monitor, my first choice is a 1440p ultradwide with Freesync, which would be the main deciding factor to switch to an AMD card.

Freesync is the main draw for AMD for me, as it's cheaper to upgrade to a Freesync monitor than it is to G-Sync. Finding sub $150 monitors is a good deal (I am only needing 1080p) and even if you are using a Vega APU the benefits are still noticeable.

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
I swear I saw somewhere that someone asked Sapphire or Powercolor about mini cards for the future and they said they weren't adverse to it. If the rumours about the efficiency of Navi cards is true I think seeing ITX GPUs on the AMD platform will be fairly realistic.

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018

The Inno3d does in fact fit in the MI-6 and a lot easier to install than I had feared.

Had a chance to pick up the Inno3d and seeing as the Gigabyte and MSI are not yet available I decided to take a chance. The card is slightly too long, I would guess 2mm. But I was able to push the front of the frame over slightly and push the card into place. I did have to remove the riser mount and reattach after I had the card in place.

Nice to see that this GPU fits (somehow :)).
Is it possible to remove the shroud with the fans without damaging anything or without removing the heatsink?
If so, I think it would be awesome to mount 2 Noctua NF-A9x14 on the heatsink. This should increase the cooling power and also make the GPU 2-3mm shorter...

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Nice to see that this GPU fits (somehow :)).
Is it possible to remove the shroud with the fans without damaging anything or without removing the heatsink?
If so, I think it would be awesome to mount 2 Noctua NF-A9x14 on the heatsink. This should increase the cooling power and also make the GPU 2-3mm shorter...

I can't say for sure but I think so. I didn't remove the shroud but there are 4 screws that appear to hold it on.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Touché @rfarmer. I guess it helps to have the fan under the heat sink. I got the case cover on over my Pallas, but the fan rubbed against the case. I can't imagine getting a cooler that's 2mm taller than the Pallas in there, but apparently you can. I'd just get the NH-L12 to be safe--plus, better RAM clearance.

I'm late to the party. I ran the L12 and L12S in my MI-6. I had trouble getting good temps with the L12. The 92MM just didn't pull enough air. The L12S did fit with the fan underneath and pulling cold air in. The fins do touch the side of the case, but nothing is bulging. My temps drop substantially for both CPU and VRM.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'm late to the party. I ran the L12 and L12S in my MI-6. I had trouble getting good temps with the L12. The 92MM just didn't pull enough air. The L12S did fit with the fan underneath and pulling cold air in. The fins do touch the side of the case, but nothing is bulging. My temps drop substantially for both CPU and VRM.

My CPU temp with L12 has been OK (I'm running 84W chip & living in tropical area)

However, my drives temps are not great. I imagine the 92mm fan doesn't blow hot air out fast enough. My cabling and motherboard layout also not that great.

Perhaps a bigger fan, or a cooler where the fan sits closer to the case ventilation holes (like NH-L9x65 or thermalright AXP-100) can give better result on my drive temp, but this is not a urgent as of now.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
My CPU temp with L12 has been OK (I'm running 84W chip & living in tropical area)

However, my drives temps are not great. I imagine the 92mm fan doesn't blow hot air out fast enough. My cabling and motherboard layout also not that great.

Perhaps a bigger fan, or a cooler where the fan sits closer to the case ventilation holes (like NH-L9x65 or thermalright AXP-100) can give better result on my drive temp, but this is not a urgent as of now.

Still waiting on @firewolfy to offer the lofts for sale so we can install top exhaust fans, should help with the drive temps.

Any eta Fire?

Reactions: Engr62

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
And go bigger than 6.7L? Pffft :cool:

Normally I would totally agree with you but I need to find a way to lower the temps on my new 2070 by 4 to 5C. Up to 80C fan runs at 2500 rpm is very quiet, once it gets above 80C fan immediately ramps up to 4300 rpm and turns into a jet turbine. Tried a custom fan profile but had no effect. I am hoping with a top exhaust fan I can keep the temps below 80C otherwise I am going to have to try a fan mod.