Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Any updates on the next batch?
DKsystem,
I don't have timing yet. But I am working on a couple of things: 1) addressing the feedback from the Tekeverything review and hoping to resolve all (or most) concerns in the next run. 2) I want to put together a questionaire for the purchasers of the first batch and get their feedback on the case.

Thanks

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

My build is now complete, I finally manged to find a 1070 Aero for a reasonable price. This was the GPU I always planned on for this build, in fact the reason I went with white cables was to match the white stripe.

The GPU impresses me a lot, the 0 fan mode is great and even at load it is quieter than my previous 1070 FE. Ran Furmark and played some FF XV on highest settings and max temps I saw were 75C.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
So no problems with cpu or gpu cooling? Sweet

Not at all, so far max CPU temps running Prime95 are 71C and 75C on the GPU running Furmark or Firestrike. I have tested several games and CPU temps, depending on game, are mid 40C to low 60C on the most demanding games. GPU runs 65 - 75C.

Reactions: Jonny727272

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
What is the 8700k's all core turbo after sustained usage?

Also the MSI Aero is an awesome card. Love it.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
What is the 8700k's all core turbo after sustained usage?

Also the MSI Aero is an awesome card. Love it.

4.70 GHz. I am using mine at the motherboards defaults which are 4.30 to 4.70 GHz with adaptive voltage which is no higher than 1.20v. These setting I find plenty fast and I really like the temps. Idles at 31C and max I see, other than stress testing, are low 60C.

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Not at all, so far max CPU temps running Prime95 are 71C and 75C on the GPU running Furmark or Firestrike. I have tested several games and CPU temps, depending on game, are mid 40C to low 60C on the most demanding games. GPU runs 65 - 75C.

Hmm these are temps after delidding right? Do you have pre-delid temps for those of us opting not to go that route?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hmm these are temps after delidding right? Do you have pre-delid temps for those of us opting not to go that route?

I never ran the 8700k with the Scythe Big Shuriken prior to delidding, I was using a Dark Rock TF. Temps were 20C higher at 1.35v and 15C higher at 1.20v.

Reactions: renecop545

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Running Prime95 for 30 mins, I got 92C max temp.

My CPU was a Haswell 84 watt chip, ambient temp was around 27-28C. CPU cooler was NH-L12, single bottom fan at 1700 rpm.

No case fans installed at the moment.

Reactions: renecop545

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018

My CPU was a Haswell 84 watt chip, ambient temp was around 27-28C. CPU cooler was NH-L12, single bottom fan at 1700 rpm.

92C even with a NH-L12? Is that the 2nd version or the 1st version of the cooler?

Reactions: Limit Cube

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015

So normalized to 21-22C ambient, that is 86C.

Your temp does seem a bit high. You arent overclocking are you?
Maybe run test with cover and top off. If it is still high then maybe a cooler or hs problem?

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
So normalized to 21-22C ambient, that is 86C.

Your temp does seem a bit high. You arent overclocking are you?
Maybe run test with cover and top off. If it is still high then maybe a cooler or hs problem?

It is a bit high. Yes I plan to do another test, with cover & top off, probably later near / during weekend. Life is still quite hectic :/

I also plan to install Cooler Master 80mm slim case fan (It's quite hard to find a reasonably priced Noctua 92mm slim fan at the moment)

For now, I'm not really concerned because I still get totally acceptable temps for working & gaming (and pretty darn silent), so yeah.. no rush.

Reactions: firewolfy and Jello

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I've got a little design tweak I've been working on tonight. Because the MI-6 top exhaust flow area was sized using a 4-core i7, it seems to have higher temps with the i7-8700 type 6-core CPU. So I made a new top cover design that has 42% more total exhaust flow area than the standard one. Here is a comparison pic:

It is the same overall size and has the same mounting hole pattern as the standard top cover. I'm going to get this quoted to see about having this as an option on the next batch. It would also be available a la carte to those who have a case already.

Here is where I could use some help: I don't have a 6-core CPU to test the increased flow area, so if anyone has a 6-core or more CPU and could run a test for me, it would help me out.
I'd love to get some temperature data on this change when running prime 95 version 26.6 with large FFT for 20 minutes.

At first thought I'd drill out a top cover for more flow area and mail to whoever wanted to do the test, BUT I realized that the increased flow area can be simulated. The top cover just has to be loosened and shifted toward the GPU side, so there is a 5/8" gap (this is a bit conservative size since having a big open area flows better than a bunch of slots will).

Thx

Reactions: murrgz

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I've got a little design tweak I've been working on tonight. Because the MI-6 top exhaust flow area was sized using a 4-core i7, it seems to have higher temps with the i7-8700 type 6-core CPU. So I made a new top cover design that has 42% more total exhaust flow area than the standard one. Here is a comparison pic:

It is the same overall size and has the same mounting hole pattern as the standard top cover. I'm going to get this quoted to see about having this as an option on the next batch. It would also be available a la carte to those who have a case already.

Here is where I could use some help: I don't have a 6-core CPU to test the increased flow area, so if anyone has a 6-core or more CPU and could run a test for me, it would help me out.
I'd love to get some temperature data on this change when running prime 95 version 26.6 with large FFT for 20 minutes.

At first thought I'd drill out a top cover for more flow area and mail to whoever wanted to do the test, BUT I realized that the increased flow area can be simulated. The top cover just has to be loosened and shifted toward the GPU side, so there is a 5/8" gap (this is a bit conservative size since having a big open area flows better than a bunch of slots will).

Thx

Wait, as long as the TDP stays the same, the number of cores shouldn't matter, right?

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018

I like where you're going and I hope someone will be able to run this test for you. This is only the OCD side of myself, but on the proposed opened ventilation, what are your thoughts on having the "margins" or "where the vents end" be equal instead of the length/width proportion you have currently. As in...the distance from the edge of the case to the beginning of the vents be equal from all 4 sides.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Personally I feel that those extra vents breaks the design balance.

I understand that more vents = (almost always) better temps, but I suggest to measure properly the benefit VS the way it affects the design.