Stalled The ]M[ - Versatile: modular SFF casing from console size to much more

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I think you need to check obstruct between GPU power connector and frame, bending the riser may cause damage after long time using.
Design to use standard GPU is not good idea because it's not popular in market.

Thanks for the comments. The maximum gpu hight the casing can occupy is up to 128mm which a very common hight albiet a recessd power would be better in any circumstance. These numbers will be solidified after prototype testing.

As for the riser bend, any cable in general is prone to damage after long period of time. I have been using a riser that is bent and twisted for a couple of months and could not see any noticable damage. This is very dependent on the riser cable quality.

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
This is my current setup which basically is a mess, however you can see the riser cable being bent and twisted and it works just fine. in any case, usually laptop ribbon cables are are bent for better ergonomics albeit with different type of data delivery requirements but nevertheless.

I have received new samples of pcie risers that am testing. Thanks for all of your comments guys. please keep them coming.

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 30, 2018
Hi, nice case! I think I have something that might help you. I will be using a custom 90 degree thin cable in my Project Hybrid:

There are several suppliers. This one is from Aerialpixels:

https://aerialpixels.com/shop/audio...a-thin-hdmi-cables/custom-hdmi-cable-builder/

You can customize everything. Cable and connectors. So if you ship your case with something like this you can create a lot of volume. I need this in Hybrid because space is rare.

Perhaps that helps you.

Edit: Looking at your case I really like the design. But maybe you can rotate things so that a simple hard riser will be enough. Because riser cables are much more expensive.

Last edited:

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hi, nice case! I think I have something that might help you. I will be using a custom 90 degree thin cable in my Project Hybrid:

There are several suppliers. This one is from Aerialpixels:

https://aerialpixels.com/shop/audio...a-thin-hdmi-cables/custom-hdmi-cable-builder/

You can customize everything. Cable and connectors. So if you ship your case with something like this you can create a lot of volume. I need this in Hybrid because space is rare.

Perhaps that helps you.

Edit: Looking at your case I really like the design. But maybe you can rotate things so that a simple hard riser will be enough. Because riser cables are much more expensive.

Thanks a lot, I know of this type of cable. and it is in my plan to include it in the package. if I rotate things in side the case then the uniqueness of the design in total gets rather diminished which is an important factor. I wanted to escape the norm as much as possible. but thank you very much for the suggestion and for the cable source. Riser cable pricing might become very reasonable if things go well. Which is what am hoping for. thanks again.

Reactions: BernardoZ

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
As for the riser bend, any cable in general is prone to damage after long period of time. I have been using a riser that is bent and twisted for a couple of months and could not see any noticable damage. This is very dependent on the riser cable quality.
As standard they have maximum bending angle of cable, you bended 180 degree and it is in bottom of motherboard, under board press.
Any way good luck!

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
S
Thanx for the links!
I recall now having found this adapter earlier, but was aiming at something even smaller than 3cm in height, so if you see something...
Would be nice to find a flat ribbon cable for DisplayPort!
BTW may I ask what distance you have between the GPU I/O and the top of your frame?

Yes its high. Currently it's 15 mm the distance between GPU IO and the frame. I will ask the ribbon cable manufacturers if they can make one with display port connection.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Cool, fingers crossed for the DP ribbon cable!
Would be nice if you can keep us informed about it. :)

Reactions: Marwan

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hello Guys,

Its been a while for any update, I have been working on water-cooling mounts for the casing.

on the left is the mount for 120mm AIO which can be used with 17 cm long GPUs, on the right is for 92 mm AIO can be used with 21 cm GPUs.

I have asked for prototypes for them. The casing prototype is finished, just last week but i added these two mounts plus a hdd plate for 2 2.5" drives to fit with the mounts.

Wish me luck.

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hi All,

it's been very long since my last update of the casing. I have completed the assembly of the casing all together with the components inside. still working on a better photo shots. My current job however is taking rather to much of me and my time this why it took me so long to get the case completed. it has some small things needs to be fixed nothing major.

have a look at the final results of the prototype, I believe it looks good, I will update the first post once I complete the photo shooting and system testing all together it has been working fine the total period of three weeks. below are shots with phone. I hope you guys like it. looking for possible reviewers for the case if you know any let me know.

So ... What do you think??

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
That's pretty awesome! Not a huge fan of the io out of the top. But it does leave a clean aesthetic if nothing is plugged in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marwan

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
What a nice proto! :thumb:

How did you finally manage to have the GPU ports (HDMI and DP) at the back? Any picture?

Last edited:
Reactions: Marwan and br3nd0

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Hey its looking nice!

I realize now that the vent pattern is quite long. did you have any warping issues with the fins? I'd recommend splitting the opening into smaller sections for a next prototype, but I do like how the front light is looking.
quite pleasing, good work

Reactions: Marwan and br3nd0

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
What a nice proto! :thumb:

How did you finally manage to have the GPU ports (HDMI and DP) at the back? Any picture?
Hello there, thanks a lot am glad you like it. I will provide photip of the whole assembly, maybe a short video on YouTube to make like an indie ad for the case. As for the DP cable unfortunately there's no thin ribbon cable like in HDMI. I am working on my own solution. Will see where it goes.

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Hey its looking nice!

I realize now that the vent pattern is quite long. did you have any warping issues with the fins? I'd recommend splitting the opening into smaller sections for a next prototype, but I do like how the front light is looking.
quite pleasing, good work

Thanks for the comments coming The Lazer3D it's a privilege.
Not sure what do you mean by wrapping with the fins ? If you don't mind explaninex it?

But I am thinking of shrinking the the vents because even with a 1mm steel thickness they can still look bendy slightly which can be unpleasing a bit.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Thanks for the comments coming The Lazer3D it's a privilege.
Not sure what do you mean by wrapping with the fins ? If you don't mind explaninex it?

But I am thinking of shrinking the the vents because even with a 1mm steel thickness they can still look bendy slightly which can be unpleasing a bit.
exactly that, this bending.
one of my early cases had some long vents and had this problem as well.