Stalled The Gnome - A budget Thin Mini ITX HTPC case

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
At this point, I'm only looking to gauge interest in the case, and nothing about the case is set in stone.

With that out of the way....

I present to you, The Gnome, a budget HTPC case for Thin Mini ITX chassis.

Right now, my current computer chassis has a lot of wasted space that I figured I could get rid of. It has space for the motherboard, a single slot low profile expansion card, 2x 3.5" hard drives, 1x 2.5" hard drive, and a Blu Ray drive and more room to spare for fans. Seeing as how I don't really need all that space, I designed a chassis to get rid of as much of the unused space as I could and make a truly small chassis while retaining swapability of components.

The chassis has enough room for a thin mini ITX motherboard, a single low profile expansion card, a 2.5" HDD/SSD, and 1 60mm fan (2 fans if you use an mSata/mPCIe based storage drive). It is not intended to be used as a gaming machine, only low powered applications, so a 120W external power brick should be more than enough if you're using a 35 W TDP CPU.

If you take a look at the 3rd picture in the album, you can see how everything fits together. The bottom 60mm fan mount has 4 mounting screws around it. This is if you choose to use that space for an HDD/SSD. The graphics card/capture card will sit above the hard drive/fans. A riser of your choosing will be necessary.

I have designed this using Protocase Designer, specifically with the "extruded chassis" option. This significantly reduces the cost of the chassis. I have not factored in the cost of the power button, and I have left the surface of the chassis as "unfinished" (to further reduce costs), but as it stands, an order of 5 units will be $70/ea and 10 units will be $60/ea, excl tax and shipping.

Last edited:

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
By the reference cooler's design, if the motherboard I/O is facing upwards, then the fan would be sitting to the bottom and to the left of the motherboard and push air upwards. The case isn't designed with space below the motherboard. However, if the position of the fan can be reversed, then it would be blowing air towards the front of the chassis. Ventilation can be added to the front to accommodate this. I can't find the exact dimensions of the cooler, but some extra horizontal space may be needed to fit the width of the heatsink.

However, the case is meant for standard coolers such as the Silverstone NT07-115x, AR04, this OEM fan, the Alseye IO-SH15-75S, and the Alseye IO-SH15-65 . I do not have the exact height from the top of the CPU to the roof of the case, but my estimates put it at around 23-24mm.

Last edited:

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Also showing a few changes. Added images of fans/hard drive to verify fit. Since I will be using both a 60mm fan and an HDD, I will be using a left angle SATA power connector to fit into the small space.

Added some additional ventilation under the PCIe slot as well as slots for antennae.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Just a quick note: The expansion card will have its PCI adapter on the opposite side if you have the cooler on top (image 5 in the first post). The image of the PCB was mirrored because the Nvidia logo is wrong.

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
I know, I couldn't quickly find any images of the pcb side of a card so I just mirrored it to get it to its true size relative to the case and to check the fit.

If you look at the pic with the hard drive image, the hard drive is upside down as well. Only did that to verify that the mounting holes fit the real thing.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
How's progress with this? I might make a case with close to the exact layout like yours but just wondering if you're okay with that. However, it will be made of different materials from metal.

warfreak131

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Hey, so with the lack of GPUs available (I've seen GT 1030's go for $100+), my lack of funds for prototyping and buying all the additional necessary parts, as well as the discontinuation of any new TM-ITX boards, I've pretty much abandoned this project. However you design your case is cool by me. I can send you my Protocase designer file if you want to use that as reference.

I'm selling off my stuff here if you're interested
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/thin-mini-itx-htpc-game-build-everything-must-go.6993/