Production The First - Monsterlabo High Performance SFF case & Fanless CPU / GPU

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
yeah you updated the FAQ about a month after i bought the case and read all the compatibility-lists etc. :D that's the reason why i thought ATX with a fan would be possible^^ anyway i'll get a new SFX or SFX-L PSU. In the meantime i let the lowest part of the case open and the PSU outside, so i can use my PC to make you a compliment for your really awesome case (now it's super silent in here and i can literally hear the grass grow outside).

Is it normal, that you have to bend the cooler while mounting that much? otherwise the motherboard wouldn't fit in the case. Also on your pictures and videos the board looks really straight mounted on the cooler but in my case (haha) it's crooked as hell.

I will post pictures of that tomorrow.

Thanks for your great compliment !! I hope you will enjoy it for a long time.

Don't hesitate to come back to us to improve the case and if you have any ideas, any issue.
We have ordered new cables last week & modified back panel. I will create thingiverse account soon.

Can you remind me your configuration ? Normally for first buyers that has "standard configuration" everything should fit straight like in the video we made. But yes the cooling has been made so it can be slightly bended (it's why you have this heat pipe shape).
This is "the trick" for being able to mount all the GPUs with the Riser.
It doesn't affect at all the performance but it has to be done with care.
--> We will shoot the video really soon, maybe tomorrow night.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Dear First Fan ;),

You have been a lot to ask for pre-prod samples as described:

"
  • same performance - V3 cooling (production version)
  • Back panel fixture holes not made (DIY friendly) / will be provided.
  • Standard top grid or advanced grid (prototype)
  • Mechanical structure not painted
  • Aesthetical V2 in white only + stainless steel
    V3 modification possible -> DIY
    Panel skin support possible
  • Leadtime 7 days+
  • Others characteristics are same than production version.
  • special price :)
"

Please note that we will not reserved. First pay first gone. Our goal is to make space ;)

Also note that "premium" case are available. Orders being done now will be delivered end of february when batch 1 & 2 are all delivered.

Last edited:

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Update 21/02
  • We are delivering white version of the case tomorrow.
  • We will shoot video with Riser assembly today/tomorrow
  • We will also shoot thermal performance video with electronics mounted on the last video
  • Thingiverse has been updated

• Top 200mm Fan option is coming ;) few things to fix and we launch !!

• Pre prod version still available with special price (see previous post). Only 7 pcs still available.
  • Premium version available on our website.Only 20pcs available available this month.
  • We are starting electronics assembly on demand.
    --> We know this is not a simple case so some of you have asked for an assembly.
    --> Please don't hesitate to ask for a configuration also, we can quote complete configuration (EU only).
Also please share your assembly pictures with us. You can send it directly and we can share it on our website.
Many thanks for your support.

Have a good day,

Reactions: SombreSire

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017

cptarrr

Efficiency Noob
Feb 16, 2019
sorry for the late reply but i had a lot of stuff to do.

Now I want to share my experience with the Monsterlabo and all the love and hate i've experienced with it.

tl;dr

great case with a lot of cooling potential but you have to be very patient for your first build.

First of all my selected components:
  • Intel I7-8700K@stock
  • Zotac 1080Ti Mini
  • Asus Z370-I (Strix with fancy light stuff)
  • 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB (more fancy light stuff)
  • Seasonic Focus PLUS Gold 550W ATX Seasonic Focus SGX Gold 650W (f*ck yeah more power)
  • 1TB Samsung Evo 970 M.2

Meet&Greet with the case before it was built..

I wrote Monsterlabo and asked them for the compatibility for my Zotac 1080Ti Mini (i already bought the case!). I knew, that this card has a higher TDP and generates more heat than the ML could handle.. so i thought. But it was love at first sight so i had to ask. You guys answered me and told me that you can not guarantee the compatibility with my graphics card, because you had not such a piece to test it. I really laid down, tried not to cry.. cried a lot :'(

But your wonderful Elisa wrote me about a week later and told me, that you just bought Zotac 1080Ti Mini just to test it if the cooler would fit. I mean the card costs about 700$ back that time. I don't know any other manufacterer would do that.

One week later Elisa wrote me, that the cooler fits and it should be possible to use the card with the additional fan.

Then it started.. the long and painful journey of waiting. After several protests in France the delivery was delayed about 4-6 weeks and finally I got my ML in February.

Unpacking & Assembly

What should is say? Beautiful. I thought it would be higher but it is not. A really small case, if you notice, that you can cool high-end-hardware with that.

Much additional equipment in the package, like my Noctuah-Fan, Riser for my GPU, a lot of tiny screws etc.. it should be all there so let's start with the assembly.

I also watched your first 7 parts of your youtube-videos and thought i would be really fast at building this. I was not.

Together with my best buddy (he is called 'Augustiner' - you should google him, he is very famous) i started to assembly all the components. We recognized very fast that i had to bend the cooler really hard. Otherwise my mainboard would'nt fit inside. It was a fight like David (me) vs. Goliath (ML). Goliath won. Twice. Alright - let's do it again. Last time and i sweared to 'Augustiner' it would be the last time! With a lot of love and tenderness and a little hate my board and graphics card fitted. Finally it is done. So thought I -.-

I told you before, that i watched your youtube-assembly-videos.. I hate you for your videos! Really i do. Dear ML. DO NOT make a test-assembly in your videos and then dissasembly all your parts, because you know, that you have to reassembly it in an other rearranged way! This is not helpful! We are all nerds. Geeks. We don't to wait for a full video series that is available two weeks later after the case is still at home to see how you first make a test-assembly and after that you finally start the real productive assembly.. Not cool Monsterlabo.

So i had to made all the steps backwards, otherwise my cables etc. would not fit (maybe a little bit my fault). After a long long time i had it all back in position and could go on. As earlier posted before i have noticed, that i really had to bend and push the cooler 'into the case'. I mean it was really hard. Not a little finger push. Only the silver part of the case holds the mainboard inside it. You will see this at the screenshots.

I really saw an end for my build. I thought I could finish it in a few minutes. Then I noticed, my PSU would not fit inside, because of the fan. Some of you may have read my comment before. Monsterlabo changed the notice about the fan and ATX-PSU's after i bought case (i don't check every time every single site on your homepage). Another hate i had to go trough :/

So i ordered a new SFX-L PSU, thought i could assembly it and wtf it did not fit :eek:

ML is gonna try to fool you - be prepared. Just turn the frame for the PSU 180 degrees. Trust me I'm an engineer.

What should Monsterlabo change at this case?
  • make this tiny hexagon-screws magnetic.
  • better quality management for your parts of the case for example:
a) the power button gets stuck every time, because the metal grid frame is non-planar
b) you have to push and pull back the cooler too hard that your hardware stays in the case
c) provide 3D-Templates for the backplate so we can print ourselve the backplate we need for our cables
d) the paintjob could be a little bit better. It looks like that there is a 'orange peel effect' if you know what i mean. especially visible on the silver frame of the case
e) there was no mini-baguette inside the package

Conclusion

• Case was very safe packed.
  • Great case where high-end-hardware fits and will be cooled really fine.
  • USB-Ports are fine (speed etc.)
  • No more noise
  • It is very small. Thougt it would be bigger
  • Use a good thermal paste. The Noctua inside is good (had it before in my other builds) but if you want to make a build with hardware like mine with this case every Kelvin counts. I used the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. You will remark the difference especially on your graphics card compared to the Noctua
  • be sure your PSU is silent!

What will I do in the future?

Undervolt my CPU for lower temperatures (they are already ok but i wan't to go lower)
Make some improvements for the cable-management and the backplate.
Print a new backplate
Optimize the fan-settings for an unhearable experience (while office-usage)

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello @cptarrr

Many thanks for your feedback. I love your seconde sentence !
You are right This is not an easy build ... at all ! It's like the Rubiks included. If you finalize The First, you may have the chance to try the rubiks.
See you in few years ;)

So my feedback:
  • Wonderful Elisa --> OK +1 for her
  • Sorry for the video. Indeed there were so late and still not finalized. We will find also an other way to improve quality and put a lot more material on youtube. We also deeply hope the media should help to do that.
    I propose to do live video for some assemblies. What do you think ?
  • It will not easy to have this screws magnetic. But I can consider it and ask the supplier.
  • The power button need definitely to be changed. I will update it
  • The cooler is flexible and I will show in a very nice video ;) how to do it.
    Again sorry for the late explanation but it comes ...
  • Thingiverse account is already done : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3438076
    If you have any ideas or any needs for the back panel I can update the design and provide it on thingiverse
  • For the orange peel effect, it was our choice. You really don't like it ?
    But If you are not happy with the middle U please contact me, we always find a solution.
  • No mini-baguette ? We are more like huge beers here ...

Please don't hesitate to come back to us for any needs, suggestion and comments.
Thanks also for your time sharing you experience, this is really useful.
I hope you will enjoy your First for long time.

Also I have some questions:
  • could you share pictures where you had to bend the pipes ?
    This is indeed needed when you use the riser but this should have fitted withtout that for you.
  • also can you send us the reference of the small copper heatsinks for memories ?

Last edited:

SombreSire

Cable Smoosher
Oct 17, 2018
Hello,
I have the First for one week now and I wanted to share my feelings about it.

The story
I was looking for a long time to replace my computer, an HP Z820, with something that was silent, the Z820 has more than 10 fans and they are not the quietest ones.
After the debacle of Calyos, we had to find something else and that's when I came across MonsterLabo.
I was immediately seduced by the case and I pre-ordered one as soon as it was possible.
I had a lot of email exchanges with MonsterLabo (thanks Elisa and Nicolas :-) ) because I wanted to build a higher config than MonsterLabo had indicated.
In the end we agreed to give it a try and so, here are the components :
- motherboard : Asus ROG Strix Z390-I
- cpu : Intel i9-9900K
- memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB
- graphics : Zotac GAMING GeForce RTX 2070 AMP Extreme
- storage : one m2 Samsung EVO 1TB, one Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, one Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
- power : Seasonic Platinum 750W
- rgb : CableMod CM-LED-15-M30KRGB-R
It was for power supply that the choice was the most complicated.
MonsterLabo recommended a fanless power (logical if you want to build a fanless computer) but I was not really confident because
as the choosen components where higher in specs and that with an ATX power supply, the internal fan was no longer possible, I still wanted something with a fan in case the radiator was not able to dissipate all the heat.
I was originaly gone for a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W but it turns out it was not possible.
There was a small problem in MonsterLabo's communication with power supply compatibility.
They warned me just in time of the limits for maximum dimensions. I was like : "what ? aren't ATX power-supply identical ?" (<- here you see that I have a lot of experience in building computers ;-) )
I had never paid attention but the dimensions of an ATX power supply are not always identical.
The Seasonic Titanium was too big and even the Platinum series has different dimensions like this :
170 mm (L) x 150 mm (W) x 86 mm (H) (1000 W, 850 W)
140 mm (L) x 150 mm (W) x 86 mm (H) (750 W, 650 W, 550 W)
So I selected the highest possible which was the 750W.
Why such a choice ? because of the hybrid mode that this power offers. At low load, the fan is not turning and in this case the fanless mode is up to 40% of the max capacity.
So I can still have a fanless computer after all :)

The build :
Well, I can speak about it because it's not me who built it.
Someone very kind did it for me because it was (very very) far from my skills but you have the video's on the MonsterLabo Youtube channel to see it being built ;-)
The only thing I did is installing the RGB (I installed it to see if the machine is on or off)

The use :
On normal use, with Firefox (few tabs), Edge (more than 80 tabs), Outlook, Spotify, Onenote, Skype, Steam, OneDrive running for more than 16 hours the temperature are as follow :
CPU 54°, motherboard 48°, gpu 45°.
After playing four hours of ETS2/ATS/Farming Simulator 19, I had the following values :
CPU 70°, motherboard 57°, gpu 81°
The maximum values recorded were 58° for the motherboard, 91° for the CPU and 84° for the GPU.
These values come from CPUID HWMonitor, I don't know why but comparing the values given by this program and the ASUS AI Suite gives significant differences (for example HWMonitor gives 71° for the CPU but ASUS gives 63° !)
I also have also to mention that the top grill has been removed (recommended by MonterLabo for this config)

What could be improved ?
- Like the previous person, I also have a problem with the power button who gets stuck.
- The backplate who has 1 RJ45, 1 HDMI, 1 USB

Conclusion
The quality of the materials is perfect.
I like the paint very much, the black has something I can't describe, I like it.
I am very satisfied with the case, I do not regret my purchase and I would buy it again.

Here are some photos of the case :

Reactions: Kooki and FoskcoRS5

bbalex

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2018
Hello @cptarrr
Also I have some questions:
  • could you share pictures where you had to bend the pipes ?
    This is indeed needed when you use the riser but this should have fitted withtout that for you.
  • also can you send us the reference of the small copper heatsinks for memories ?
I'm not him, but those heatsinks look like those sold by Enzotech: BMR-C1 or BCC9 on the memory chips, MOS-C1 on the VRM caps or chips. Manufacturer page here.

I have not ordered my First yet, as I'm waiting for the 20 cm fan option and for a real solution to cool the graphic card memory chips and VRM caps and coils. Providing a kit with heatsinks like this could be that solution. Another manufacturer that provides lots of heatsinks in all kinds of shapes and sizes with its GPU heatsink is Raijintek for the Morpheus II. There's all kind of additional small heatsinks that come in the package and they can be seen on the "Unboxed" tab of the product page.

Last edited:

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
Juste got The First, so exited!

And I have my first question:
Are IO cables are standard? I would like to find and buy one for DisplayPort :)

Reactions: Kooki

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
@Nord1ing Good news !!

Start it slowly, check the beautiful video and please ask if you have any questions.

EDIT: take a coffee + chocolate + put PSU first and all the cables on both boards ;)

The cables are standard, you can find easily the web. This is 30cm with panel mount side.
We will receive some cables within two weeks.

Last edited:

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
@SombreSire As already says. Many thanks for all you comments and your trust !
I will manufacture a specific back panel for you ;) and I will let you know when the updated power button is done.
Also the top fan will be a really nice option for such a nice configuration.

@bbalex Thanks a lot for the link. I think that we will list fist suppliers and in parallel ask our supplier to manufacture our version (orange color needed). It's indeed a good solutions for people that has very specific designs of VRM, like VEGA board for exemple.

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
Finally, assembly is (half-way) finished, PC booted to Windows :D
First impression:
  • awesome! Prime95 (with fan 50%) maxed at 63.5C, Fire Stike Extreme stress test - GPU 51C, CPU (Ryzen 1600x) 61C at fan speed 35% and almost permanent auto-boost at 4GHz
  • If you buy new components along with AM4 platform, get a shorter graphic card. Installing ROG Strix 1070 was a bit tricky.
  • Corsair SF450 24-pin cable connected to Asrock AB350 ITX motherboard is too short. I am waiting for extension cable to finish properly the built.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Finally, assembly is (half-way) finished, PC booted to Windows :D
First impression:
  • awesome! Prime95 (with fan 50%) maxed at 63.5C, Fire Stike Extreme stress test - GPU 51C, CPU (Ryzen 1600x) 61C at fan speed 35% and almost permanent auto-boost at 4GHz
  • If you buy new components along with AM4 platform, get a shorter graphic card. Installing ROG Strix 1070 was a bit tricky.
  • Corsair SF450 24-pin cable connected to Asrock AB350 ITX motherboard is too short. I am waiting for extension cable to finish properly the built.

Thanks for your feedback. That sounds very good !
I think that this kind of CPU and the next version of AMD will really have a good fit with The First.
We could soon have 8/16 or 12/24 cores in Fanless mod !!!

https://www.cowcotland.com/news/662...x-r7-3700x-en-12c-24t-4-2ghz-pour-370usd.html

Thanks for your feedback about the cables of this PSU. This is something youseful to write on our website. Don't hestitate to share pictures of your build and cables when you finished.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Update

We are finally opening assembled PC system.
If you want a full Fanless solution plug and play, it's now available.
Don't hesitate to send us a message if you are interested as our website is not yet ready.
AMD solution also possible (we are still working on it).

I don't know if I can send electronics price on the forum, so please contact us.