CPU The CPU topic

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I did some testing a while back and its the lack of cooling on the voltage regs that causes the issues. With current comes heat, and if the vrms cannot dissipate it they get hotter. As they get hotter their resistance (and thus heat output) increases and thermal runaway occurs.

I would have gone FM2+ but I needed 4 modules / 8 cores :) fear not though, as I am undervolting my cpu at stock clocks and am currently at 95w :D better safe than sorry really.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Skylake has arrived! Well, the 6700k and 6600k have anyway.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...54-intel-i7-6700k-review-skylake-arrives.html

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/05/intel_skylake_core_i76700k_ipc_overclocking_review

http://anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation

Those in the US seem to be reporting some availability of motherboards for purchase on Amazon as of today.

http://anandtech.com/show/9485/inte...-asrock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-evga-supermicro

Interesting note in the above article - not all controllers for USB 3.1 will be Asmedia, Intel has their own solution through the Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
http://anandtech.com/show/9485/inte...-asrock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-evga-supermicro

Interesting note in the above article - not all controllers for USB 3.1 will be Asmedia, Intel has their own solution through the Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt controller.
It is interesting, as it would make integration for mITX easier. Not much info on the M.2 ports on those mITX boards though, for some reason SATA Express ports are plentiful on the Z170 boards. Maybe they'll release a BluRay 4K drive or something for SATA Express, why else confuse the market with a dead-on-arrival standard for storage ?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The EVGA Z170 ITX board only has a nigh-worthless vertical m.2 2230 slot.
The GA-Z170N-WIFI is still not listed on Gigabyte's website (get it together, Gigabyte! Your boards are fine, but your website is atrocious and has been for as long as I can recall), but has been listed as having a PCIe 3.0 4x m.2 slot. Upper shots of the board do not show a m.2 slot but the through-hole mounting points for card ARE visible, so it likely has a m.2 2260/2280 slot on the rear.

Last edited:

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
Discrete graphics card performance decreases [slightly] on Skylake over Haswell.

I guess this is what happens when Intel has no competition.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Which review is that from? At stock, Techreport the 6700k fares well against the 4790k, beaten only (surprisingly) by the Broadwell 5775C in some cases, possibly due to its gargantuan L4 cache. Anandtech only have average framerate comparisons (no framerating), with all three generations trading blows well within the margin of error. All-round reports have been that everyone with a Skylake sample has been able to oveclock it very well, so if you're looking to do that it may be a slight upgrade over Devil's Canyon. In terms of frame consistency, if not raw framerate, Skylake looks to be a good upgrade over Sandy Bridge.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Not many surprises, the most interesting part with the new Intel chips is yet again the Z-series chipset itself.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Indeed. Regarding performance, Intel did state a focus on Win10/DX12, as well as newer instruction sets, and some tested software does indicate this. Expect this to become more relevant as time moves forward.

Regarding stock - things are looking a bit dire in North America. Intel had indicated immediate availability, but it looks like what they projected would be available isn't reflecting the reality of things over here. I am seeing European retailers selling the 6700k/6600k though, so I believe the problem is more specific to us (at least right now).

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
They seem to be in stock in the Netherlands, although at €400 (that's including 21% VAT) for the i7-6700K.

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
Which review is that from? At stock, Techreport the 6700k fares well against the 4790k, beaten only (surprisingly) by the Broadwell 5775C in some cases, possibly due to its gargantuan L4 cache. Anandtech only have average framerate comparisons (no framerating), with all three generations trading blows well within the margin of error. All-round reports have been that everyone with a Skylake sample has been able to oveclock it very well, so if you're looking to do that it may be a slight upgrade over Devil's Canyon. In terms of frame consistency, if not raw framerate, Skylake looks to be a good upgrade over Sandy Bridge.
That was actually the Anandtech one. I didn't have time to read the full review, but did catch glimpse of these words. I understand it might be different in other reviews (iirc tpu had a similar result?)