Other Noise and heat? A 2021 hardware upgrade

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I'm considering upgrading my 2013 era NCASE M1 build with a i7-4770k and Vega 64 to something modern in the new year.

I've got a pretty decent budget and am considering which of the new generation hardware to upgrade to in both the CPU and GPU departments.

One aspect of my current build that has recently become an issue is heat output. I've had to abandon my office and move my desk into my bedroom to make space for my newborn and heat output has become more of a factor, especially with the CPU and GPU overclocked to keep up with modern titles at respective FPS.

I know TDP isn't everything these days so I wanted to consult the forums to see what people think about power and heat output for the following:

Ryzen 5600x vs Intel 10700k. I'm also considering the AMD 5800x or intel equivalent.

AMD 6800xt vs Nvidia RTX 3080

Of course availability is an issue, but I expect this to be less of a concern in the coming months.

Being that I'm building in the NCASE, I don't expect COOLING to be an issue, but wondering about overall heat output. Is this tied to power consumption alone, or are there other factors.

Of course there are also other considerations on AMD vs intel and AMD vs Nvidia but those are best to death in many other forums and review sites. I'm thinking SFF considerations like ITX board features.

Let me know your thoughts folks.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
What is your intended use, gaming? The Ryzen, at stock will use less power and generate less heat. Given architecture advances, the AMD part will trade blows with or beat the Intel part; in spite of having a lower clock and fewer cores.

If I had to take a guess at availability...as in being able to go on Amazon or anywhere and just buy these 2020 released parts....Summer 2021 would be my opening bid. AMD actually announced they were ceasing making reference 6000 cards; when IRL no one has been able to buy them--and after outcry they relented and said they'd continue. Nvidia, for their part, is going to be selling 'Ti' or 'super' parts and starting sales next year that are far more expensive--the mayhem of the Ampere sales, well it is going to get a repeat with Ampere Ti. AMD and TSMC cannot get enough silicon out the door for even consoles--the entire holiday buying season was a swing and a miss and that usual market are still waiting; and aftermarket hardware is a last thought on the list. ...what little is getting produced and moved is going to SIs.

And all of this....is butting up right against the annual Chinese New Year shutdown. From end of January to March nothing is getting done. It is all closed and everyone is on holiday.

Bubba

Average Stuffer
Nov 4, 2019
smallformfactor.net
During gaming, the gpu puts out 1-10 times more heat than the cpu.
In other words, buy whatever modern cpu you want (but do not overclock it).
I find it odd that you are concerned about heat yet you want to buy a 6800xt or RTX 3080.
If you must have a powerful graphics card, then you can use afterburner to decrease power.
Afterburner allows the max power limit to be reduced as low as 58% which is a lot less heat.