CPU The CPU topic

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of too. Maybe we're wrong and Microsoft hasn't slouched on this again.
It would be a shame to not use the power of the iGPU that seems to be quite the pocket-rocket.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Microsoft isn't who worries me. Other than developers of course adopting and utilizing this, I see a very real possibility in Nvidia attempting to block co-usage of GPUs and using their ever increasing product range (G-Sync, Gameworks) to wrest control from projects and strangle developers.

This is of course a very pessimistic view, but in light of all that is occurring recently, sadly possible. Now, with both Intel and AMD involved, that may be a battle they aren't willing to take on. We'll have to see.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I agree with you on that, Nvidia might not be the ally we want with DX12. Maybe they'll turn around, they have had experiments with additional ARM cores on GPU's I believe.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I get the feeling that if Intel and AMD were gung-ho about leveraging the iGPU in parallel with discrete options, nVidia would have no real argument for not during the same. But then again, Intel is now competing in the graphics business now, in a way, so perhaps there won't be so much cooperation.

Getting that to work consistently would be challenging, too. Developers already struggle with SLI/CrossFire, and that's for the same darn graphics :p

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'd guess talented engine developers would be in high demand soon enough. Very interesting to see where this is heading.

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
On the CPU side, I'm excited for Zen. If they can bring about some substantial IPC improvements and get within 15% of Skylake (IPC), then it will be something.
Intel have been a monopoly for way too long, and we (consumers) need competition.
I've also rooted for Bulldozer at the time and was seriously disappointed, so I'm crossing my fingers for this one to pan out, lol :eek:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm really surprised that AMD hasn't been killing it with respect to integrated GPUs, actually. For Intel this has been a pivot into an entirely new realm for them, and, to their credit, they've ramped up graphics performance pretty substantially over the past ~3 generations. But AMD knows high-end graphics; it's basically what they do more than anything else at this point.

I'm not sure I see a future where AMD and nVidia cards can work in parallel with whatever integrated GPU you might have, because that's an incredibly complex problem. But a future where all of AMD's graphics can leverage the integrated GPU in all of AMD's processors? Not only is that not a far jump from CrossFire, but it would be a huge value add if executed properly. And that's on top of the fact that they tend to be the value leader already.

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
I'm really surprised that AMD hasn't been killing it with respect to integrated GPUs, actually. For Intel this has been a pivot into an entirely new realm for them, and, to their credit, they've ramped up graphics performance pretty substantially over the past ~3 generations. But AMD knows high-end graphics; it's basically what they do more than anything else at this point.

I'm not sure I see a future where AMD and nVidia cards can work in parallel with whatever integrated GPU you might have, because that's an incredibly complex problem. But a future where all of AMD's graphics can leverage the integrated GPU in all of AMD's processors? Not only is that not a far jump from CrossFire, but it would be a huge value add if executed properly. And that's on top of the fact that they tend to be the value leader already.

AMD haven't been killing since they couldn't get the watts/perf right on both CPU and GPU side. If they did, they would be the absolute monopoly on the APU side. They have everything else they need: x86 license and GPU know-how. If NVIDIA had an x86 license, we would be having a different conversation right now.
HBM2 may change somethings for AMD if they can really infuse CPU, GPU and memory on the metal. They still need IPC improvement on the CPU side though, so here's to hoping Zen will be somewhat of a remedy.

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
So I have been looking at different options for my pc and I've wondered. How well do the Haswell chips undervolt? I was thinking of getting a 4790k and undervolt it to reduce power consumption but most importantly reduce tempatures.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
People usually have good results, though the preconfigured S and T models typically fare better due to Intel's binning process.

If you have absolutely no interest at all in overclocking ever, you may wish to look into an S model, or a T if you are really looking to hit a low TDP (though these are really hard to find, they are OEM)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Intel to Debut its Core "Skylake" Processors at Gamescom 2015
Source: TechPowerUp.com

Intel is expected to debut its 6th generation Core "Skylake" desktop processor family at Gamescom 2015, which will be held in Cologne, Germany, between 5th and 9th August. PC enthusiasts should look forward to two parts in particular, the Core i7-6700K, and the Core i5-6600K. The two quad-core chips will be built in the LGA1151 package, compatible with upcoming motherboards based on Intel's 100-series chipset. Motherboards based on the Intel Z170 Express chipset will allow CPU overclocking. The integrated memory controller of "Skylake" CPUs support both DDR3 and DDR4 memory standards, and should prove to be a transition point between the two.

Following the i7-6700K and i5-6600K with Z170 chipset motherboards, at Gamescom; Intel will launch other parts in the 6th gen. Core processor family between late-August and early-September. Those launches will include i7-6700/6700T, Core i5-6600, 6500, 6400, 6600T, 6500T and 6400T, and H170 and B150 chipsets. Then in late-September, the company will launch the entry-level H110 chipset.

So I guess we could expect to see these in two months. I'm curious what mITX boards will be available by then, besides the ASRock Z170E-ITX/ac. Asus' Impact will probably be for sometime next year but maybe this time ASRock has the better board if their M.2 socket isn't again 42mm only.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Earlier than expected, though maybe we won't see availability until the first week of September.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I run an AMD-FX8350.

In all honesty the best CPU for someone is based on their use and budget. I do a lot of CPU intensive work so for the $, my FX won out.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah the AMD FX aren't all bad like many let us believe. It does have it's use-cases where it shines. But I really really wish that AMD's Zen is a homerun for them this time. Also because the FX-series is almost completely unavailable on anything smaller than ATX, it's good to see them building an interest in SFF with Project Quantum. The fact they used Intel hardware for that signifies the issue.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Yeah the AMD FX aren't all bad like many let us believe. It does have it's use-cases where it shines. But I really really wish that AMD's Zen is a homerun for them this time. Also because the FX-series is almost completely unavailable on anything smaller than ATX, it's good to see them building an interest in SFF with Project Quantum. The fact they used Intel hardware for that signifies the issue.
I don't know about there being not much smaller than ATX... I just bought this:

:D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes OK but that's basically 2009's tech with PCIe 2.0, SATA-300, 100Mbit LAN, no USB 3.0 and a low-end audio chip.
The only mATX board I could find that's almost up-to-date is the ASRock 970M Pro3.

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The board still supports full speed FX cpus. Also, the unit I received has gigabit LAN. Not sure why but I'll take it! means I can use the PCIe slot for a sound card.

Either way, it's the smallest AM3+ board available. Sometimes sacrifices must be made for SFF :D

EDIT: Actually on a small board like this, 760G vs 970 chipset for example makes no difference. If anything, the HT bus is 200mhz slower on the newer chipset! The only stuff you get on the newer chipsets that could be advantageous would be Sata 6gbit and more PCIe lanes - the latter only useful if the board had 2x x16 slots.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'd be nervous about the power delivery on that board. At my day job we've taken to stocking a MSI 970 Gaming but just the motherboard, no AMD CPU to go with it. Over the last several months 6-7 people with the higher-end FX chips have come in with dead motherboards. Mostly cheaper boards but there was 1 nicer Asus board in the mix. Best we can tell the either the heat or power consumption of the CPU is killing the boards.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
That was a real problem with AM3+. A lot of the boards weren't equipped to deal with the newer FX chips that came out, even on [H] and other places there were reports of boards catching on fire.

As it stands, I'd rather have an FM2+ based rig if I was going ITX (since finally some decent options exist for it), but the platform doesn't support ECC. Actually, I don't even know if those 2 specific AM3+ motherboards you guys mentioned above even support ECC, despite the fact the CPUs will.

Some FM2+ boards got new revisions to support the 7870K (Godaveri or Kaveri Refresh chip), like the MSI A88XI AC V2 to make sure they could handle the chip - even though AMD stated the same TDP as the 7850K they are now wary based on the problems with AM3+.