Concept The 7L Beast - SFX, 1080ti mini and i7 capable case

JermMX5

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
The 7L beast is my dream case of having something that I can jam in a duffle bag or backpack, and still have a monster rig. The case is a very early concept and all I have so far is the layout, dimensions, and the materials I want to use. Let's start with what the case will support.

GPU: The GPU support is what defines the length of the case, and that's the Zotac 1080ti mini.
PSU: I plan on support for an SFX psu.
CPU Cooler: Super low profile only, like the L9i because of the small amount of room between the GPU and the motherboard
Storage: M.2 only

Here is what the layout looks like with real world components. The 6770 says its the same length as the 1080ti mini, but I'm wondering if they measure at a different point.

The dimensions of the case are as follows: 240mm height (dictated by the two 120mm fans.) 125mm width because of the SFX PSU, and 215mm depth, which is because of the 1080ti mini + fan thickness. This is about 6.45L so I figure when I add in the thickness of the case it'll be right around 7L.

I plan on using acrylic for the case so that I can get it made cheap from ponoko and flat pack it to anyone who wants to build there own.

The riser is a PCB reverse riser that runs about $28 with shipping, so it's not that bad and it fits great.

I've done some basic layout of the components in sketchup which can be seen here:

The biggest issue with making the case out of acrylic is fastening the panels together. I had hoped to use the parvum modding cubes, but it seems like they arn't sold anymore. And then would have made the case 12mm bigger in every direction. So my next thought is to join the sides together with joints like this: https://cdn.thingiverse.com/renders...nt_Box_Macro_Photo_Album_preview_featured.jpg

For the most of the joints I would use acrylic solvent to join them together, and then the side panel you could just push in to place and then pull it off using the cooling holes that will be over the gpu.

Looking for input!

Reactions: AleksandarK

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you're going to do the reflected GPU it might be worth considering the Dynatron K129. Quite low profile, albeit a little noisy. If you were to do that, you wouldn't have to worry about your GPU choking your CPU fan (which is a real consideration here).