Temps Under Motherboard?

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Has anyone tracked the temps directly under the board (Asrock z270 ITX) I7 7700k no overclock) for example.

I'll be using the slim Nactua setup.

Curious about using a long-ish riser ribbon and looping it under the board and having the pci slot and riser plug just beyond the mount plates.

Think heat is a problem for the riser? (It may well be, I have no idea) :-)

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I did some tests in my build log (link) and found that behind the socket wasn't that bad (40-45C) and the VRM area a little higher than that. This was with a thermal sensor actually touching some thermal pads on the board though, not the air temperature. The air temp would be lower.

In your situation though, it's different. There is an air gap of a few millimeters (about 6mm I believe) so I doubt your ribbon would get to 40C even. I'm sure the cables could handle this, the 3m one is rated -20 to +80 deg C. You should have nothing to worry about. Depending on how fragile the ribbon is, It could be good to insulate the ribbon with a non conductive sheet of plastic perhaps, something to keep it from pressing into the board and the solder points. For example the HDPlex riser is very thin and I would worry it could get scratched up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Todayican2