Hi,

Just under a month ago, I built a PC using:
  • AsRock X300 case
  • Ryzen 4750G
  • Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 cooler
  • 32GB 3200mhz ram
  • 2x m.2 Kingston A2000
  • Seagate 1tb HDD 7200rpm
The issue I'm having is that under a full load, the temps are getting quite high. For example, when using Cinebench, it gets up to 90 degrees after 10 mins and the same when encoding a video with Handbrake. When using the hardest CPU test from OCCT, it does seem to average out at around 75 degrees, but spikes at 83-85.

I did try reseating the cooler and applying new thermal paste again (applied too much the first time) but this does not seem to make a difference. I guess my question is, are these temps normal for this CPU in this case with the cooler I have? If not, how would I go about addressing this?

Many thanks! :)

yuusou

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2019
The 4750G can draw 82W when doing h265 handbrake. You have it in a tiny enclosure with a single fan for ventilation. Plus an extra 2 NVMes and a spinning hard drive. Yes, it will get hot very quickly.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

develon

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 28, 2021
Did you use noctua's low noise adapter? If you do lose it and test again then.

I did not use the low noise adapter, the fans are set to go 100% in the BIOS once it his 70 degrees. I have bought a USB laptop fan that I'm going to place on the top vent to see if that makes a difference. I just wanted to determine whether it was something I was doing or it is just the reality of the parts I'm using.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
My 4650G can also hit the 80+C mark when running certain benchmarks / stress tests and I have a 120mm AIO. So I'd say for the NH-L9 cooler in the DeskMini that looks "normal".

Reactions: THUMPer

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
I have both coolers. I tested them in the Skyreach S4 Mini. For my tests I used the same Noctua NF-A9x14 fan with fixed RPM. When the case is open the AXP-90 cools 2-3 degree better than the NH-L9a. Depending on the test I had around 70-74 degree with my Ryzen 2600.

But if I close the case it's 0-1 Degree difference. As the AXP-90 is higher than the NH-L9a it hits the panel of the case. The problem on so tiny cases is the space and how to get fresh air inside. So you only have an advantage if you manage to get fresh air in.

I bought a DeskMini A300 for fun. I am currently waiting to get an affordable 4650G or a 5600G (if it will be somehow possible to buy). Then I can test the AXP-90.

xcloudx

Chassis Packer
May 7, 2021
Hi,

Just under a month ago, I built a PC using:
  • AsRock X300 case
  • Ryzen 4750G
  • Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 cooler
  • 32GB 3200mhz ram
  • 2x m.2 Kingston A2000
  • Seagate 1tb HDD 7200rpm
The issue I'm having is that under a full load, the temps are getting quite high. For example, when using Cinebench, it gets up to 90 degrees after 10 mins and the same when encoding a video with Handbrake. When using the hardest CPU test from OCCT, it does seem to average out at around 75 degrees, but spikes at 83-85.

I did try reseating the cooler and applying new thermal paste again (applied too much the first time) but this does not seem to make a difference. I guess my question is, are these temps normal for this CPU in this case with the cooler I have? If not, how would I go about addressing this?

Many thanks! :)
i wanted to build the same config as yours, but advices on temp issues had prevented me to do so. Unfortunaly, the main problems with the x300 are not coming from the CPU temps but from the VRM and SSD ones. So, i suggest checking them to avoid stressing too much your system

MrJvr

Caliper Novice
Jan 18, 2021
If you dont mind a little butchery:
This isnt mine but I did exactly the same thing to my x300 which has a 4750G in it.
It's very quiet and with general use the machine runs at 34-40 degrees.
Gaming it hits 65-70.
It's quite a destructive mod... but totally worth it I recon :D

More photos here:

Reactions: aromachi and Phuncz