System won't power on

BlackKnight

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
Hey guys, this is my current build config: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/logic-supply-mc600-youve-been-chosen.2967/

Since the 330W Dell adapter I bought on eBay was defective, I got a 230W HP adapter today.

The system usually doesn't do anything, or sometimes the power LED turns on for a tiny instant and goes off, or rarely the system turns on just fine. If I disconnect the GPU (GTX 1060), it turns on always. I swapped the GPU with an RX 480, still nothing. I swapped the power supply with my ATX PSU and everything is fine always. This system's GTX 1060 works fine in my old system always.

So is it just that the 230W power brick isn't able to provide enough juice?

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
I'm surprised that it even worked with a dinky Little nanoATX PSU with a 160 Watt limit....
your System needs around 230 Watts while gaming :\

is your VGA powert via PCIe or extern?

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
I'm surprised that it even worked with a dinky Little nanoATX PSU with a 160 Watt limit....
your System needs around 230 Watts while gaming :\

is your VGA powert via PCIe or extern?

some alternativs to your current PSU:

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-NanoA...news&utm_campaign=SFFbanner&utm_medium=banner

BlackKnight

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
@Thestarkiller32 What do you mean? What you linked to also uses the same 160W nano ATX PSU that I use. Besides, I've seen others use it the same as I have to power even more powerful systems sometimes. Check out Tek Everything's build with almost the same config (including the 160W hdplex PSU and the 230W HP power brick) but Ryzen 7 instead of Ryzen 5!
So why doesn't it work for me?

The 1060 is powered with a 6 pin by the way.

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
@Thestarkiller32 What do you mean? What you linked to also uses the same 160W nano ATX PSU that I use. Besides, I've seen others use it the same as I have to power even more powerful systems sometimes. Check out Tek Everything's build with almost the same config (including the 160W hdplex PSU and the 230W HP power brick) but Ryzen 7 instead of Ryzen 5!
So why doesn't it work for me?

The 1060 is powered with a 6 pin by the way.

...okay, it seems to handle those wattages... i would suggest using a different Power Brick with a higher wattage so that die current(A) spike is easier to handle on the input side.

otherwise, I'm sorry that i couldn't help :c

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Gtx 1060 TDP: 120 Watts
Ryzen 1600: 65 Watts

160 watts might work until the cpu tries to engage all cores while gaming. Its a really unlikely scenario though to ever have a power draw like Prime 95 with the GPU engaged at the same time.

CPU load while gaming is more like 30 watts though.

Once in a while I imagine you might get a crash when both CPU and GPU spike.

Last edited: