Annoying Problem, PC won't start unless the power cable is changed

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Hey all, not sure how to diagnose this annoying problem I have, was wondering if you guys had run into it before. Currently if I power my system off (sleep or shutdown) I can't power it back on, unless I unplug the AC power cord, and plug in different one. It seems odd, but if I just plug back in the same AC cord, it still won't power on, even if I wait for all LEDs on the motherboard to go dim. I have reset all my BIOS settings to default. This problem happened intermittently, but now happens all the time.

My systems specs below:

Asus Z270i
Corsair SF600
Intel 7600K
Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
Inside a Dan Case A4

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
That's a weird one for sure. Have you tried the setup on an alternate power supply? Would probably try that first.. also maybe look at Windows power management options... there are probably a heap of other more comprehensive suggestions from this group but off the top of my head that's probably where I'd start, good luck!

Last edited:

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
That's a weird one for sure. Have you tried the setup on an alternate power supply? Would probably try that first.. also maybe look at Windows power management options... there are probably a heap of other more comprehensive suggestions from this group but off the top of my head that's probably where I'd start, good luck!

I'll try it.. would be unfortunate, as I really don't want to have to buy another sf600 ha.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
I ran into a weird issue with an ASUS Z370-E motherboard where the mobo would have power even after removing the PSU. (Not just power cord, entire unit.)

The ROG Swift via DisplayPort had enough juice to run the LEDs on the machine and wouldn’t fully power off unless DisplayPort was unplugged.

It’s really strange holding a PSU in your hands and the rig still has power.

Probably nowhere near the same issue. Thought I’d share this one off experience.

Reactions: BaK

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
I ran into a weird issue with an ASUS Z370-E motherboard where the mobo would have power even after removing the PSU. (Not just power cord, entire unit.)

The ROG Swift via DisplayPort had enough juice to run the LEDs on the machine and wouldn’t fully power off unless DisplayPort was unplugged.

It’s really strange holding a PSU in your hands and the rig still has power.
Yeah I have a GSync Dell 27 inch, wonder if that could possibly be the culprit. Will test that as well.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
So this was happening to me while traveling, back home at my desk and it no longer happens. I am using a different display port cable for my monitor, and am using different power strips. Will continue investigating...

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
So this was happening to me while traveling, back home at my desk and it no longer happens. I am using a different display port cable for my monitor, and am using different power strips. Will continue investigating...
Glad to hear it! When my buddy used a cheaper DisplayPort he had flickering issues running at 165hz but if he toned it down it stopped. Different issue, just super weird.