Accessory Sweet SATA cables

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Delock recently released their "Flexi" line of SATA 6Gb/s cables in black and white:

They are available in 10, 20, 30, 50, 70 and 100cm length and they seem a lot more flexible and are even advertised to be foldable, and being available in short lengths like 10cm is quite nice for optimised cable runs. I'm a little disappointed they're not offered in 5cm length, but I understand the market for such short cables is quite small.

They aren't as low-profile as actual angled connectors. They're 12.6mm long and male SATA connectors are nearly 5mm deep, so they stick out by about 8mm + the cable, while the angled ones I have stick out by 7mm total. I think the Silverstone CP11 cables stick out by about 5mm. It looks like it would be very easy to mod these connectors to be even lower profile, I'll have to try that out at some point.

I really hope those are as flexible as advertised, right now all SATA cables I've used have been very, very stiff.

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Those look very similar indeed. I would suspect that delock makes them for akasa, it's funny that only akasa offers them in 15cm length, though.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe, but the Akasa cables have been out for a while. I have one I bought probably 3 or 4 years ago.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Apparently the delock cables have been out since 2015-10-23, according to the datasheet. If you have one, can you confirm that they are more flexible than regular cables? How far are they sticking out form a SATA port with the cable included?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I once damaged a SATA cable and noticed metal bars running across the sides of the cable to provide rigidity and training. I also have cables that don't and these feel like well-cooked spaghetti.

Reactions: iFreilicht

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
For Science © !

Another thing you should also avoid doing with SATA cables is running them "stacked" as one square cable for long lengths: I've had drive corruption that way.