Motherboard Supermicro Embedded AMD EPYC motherboards

dfrgu

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2019
M11SDV-8C+-LN4F: AMD EPYC 3251, 8 Core, 16 Threads, TDP 50W, (active cooling)
M11SDV-8C-LN4F: AMD EPYC 3251, 8 Core, 16 Threads, TDP 50W, (passive cooling)
M11SDV-8CT-LN4F: AMD EPYC 3201, 8 Core, 8 Threads, TDP 30W, (passive cooling)
M11SDV-4C-LN4F : AMD EPYC 3151, 4 Core, 8 Threads, TDP 45W, (passive cooling)
M11SDV-4CT-LN4F: AMD EPYC 3101, 4 Core, 4 Threads, TDP 35W, (passive cooling)

Details can be reviewed from https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/EPYC3000_Embedded.cfm

These are good for VM Hosts, and are great alternatives to Intel Xeon D series.

These 4 DIMM slots supports up to 128GB per module, which will give you 512GB RAM in total.

These boards supports both DC 12V and ATX form factor power supply, which is good for SFF builds. The atx form factor needs an atx 24pin to 4pin adapter to work though.

It has one m2 with PCIe x4 and a PCIe x16 slot. The PCIe x16 slot supports bifurcation natively in the bios, which can run in x16, x8x8, or x4x4x4x4 mode, which is also useful when you do need more PCIe slots.

The downside of this broad is lacking 10G ethernet, which is typical for a server motherboard, and the 10G ethernet port do present on the Xeon D 2000 series boards from Supermicro.

The price is another downside, considering Ryzen chips are relatively cheap. The active cooling version costs about $760, much higher than a typical Ryzen build.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
How can you use the 8-pin 12v with these boards? I've seen the same thing with the Xeon D 2100 boards, and compared to the X10 Xeon D Broadwell boards, it's much less straight forward. They had a 4pin EPS connector that just seemed to work to power the whole board.
Is there a DC PSU that delivers an 8-pin connector that this needs? I asked a similar question in the One2 Distro 400 thread, was wondering if you had insight.

Shame these don't have 10GbE onboard.

dfrgu

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 11, 2019
How can you use the 8-pin 12v with these boards? I've seen the same thing with the Xeon D 2100 boards, and compared to the X10 Xeon D Broadwell boards, it's much less straight forward. They had a 4pin EPS connector that just seemed to work to power the whole board.
Is there a DC PSU that delivers an 8-pin connector that this needs? I asked a similar question in the One2 Distro 400 thread, was wondering if you had insight.

Shame these don't have 10GbE onboard.
If you buy them in retail package, you will receive an atx 24pin to 4pin adapter inside the box, and you can use that cable to power the board with atx PSU without problem.

The DC to 4pin is not included in the retail box though, Supermicro sells them with their mini server chassis.
Although there are 8 pins on the board, but you can use it by only plug in 4 pins.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I spent a bunch of time talking with @Thehack and so I want to credit him here, but I think after looking through a bunch of docs and speaking with him, one could power this board (or other 4pin/8pin EPS-like 12V SuperMicro boards) with a Mean Well 252W brick or something like the old Dell DA-2 if you use this adapter:
https://j-hackcompany.com/?product=meanwell-6-to-8-pin-power-adapter
I haven't tested this yet personally, but it makes sense. I plan on attempting this with a SuperMicro board sometime soon, but leaving it here in case anyone else starts to wonder.

BenX

Chassis Packer
May 22, 2018
Unfortunately the boards seem impossible to buy ( up to now ).

> The active cooling version costs about $760, much higher than a typical Ryzen build.

Yes, but with a Ryzon ECC build, you need to take in account that Unbuffered ECC memory is about +-50% more expensive then normal memory.

Where as RegECC that this system can use is about +-20% more expensive then normal memory. With 4 Dimms, that stacks up quickly to a 120 Euro difference.

Also, good luck finding mITX boards that support DC 12V ... The cheapest mITX boards are 100+ Euro.

Quick calculation:

Ryzen: 2600 ( about same speed because higher clock despite 2 less cores ) + AM4 mitx = 300 Euro + 120 Euro in price difference ECC Ram => 420 Euro is what you can expect to pay.
This board: 707 Euro ( found only one shop with a price )

Now we still need:

* IPMI for the Ryzen system
* Another 3 Network nics
* All Ryzen mITX boards have only dual DIMM slots and way less memory limits
* And a lower power consumption because i am fairly sure that a 2600 does not do 70W full system load ( probably more in the 130W range ).
* The guarantee of higher quality because its a server board from Supermicro

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-3251-benchmarks-and-review/6/

Will love to see it at a lower price but supermicro ...

Reactions: Soul_Est

integer

Trash Compacter
Aug 29, 2019
Thanks. Seems there was talk of a Tomcat Tyan EX that never materialized. X470D4U is OK, it's a bit it doesn't support overclocking.

BenX

Chassis Packer
May 22, 2018
Thanks. Seems there was talk of a Tomcat Tyan EX that never materialized. X470D4U is OK, it's a bit it doesn't support overclocking.

Well, ... Server / Rack boards in general are not designed for overclocking :)

And frankly, with the Ryzen 2 / 3 and the dynamic boosting it does, in general you gain little from overclocking because it technically over clocks itself ( PPT ).

A other board to talk about doing a form of IPMI is Asus Pro WS X570-ACE ( that uses the ASUS control center )

LostEnergy

Caliper Novice
Sep 25, 2019
Afaik, correct me if I’m wrong, AMD’s “DASH” is what “vPRO” is for Intel, a kind of IPMI. You open MeshCommander or an equivalent and can stream the remote screen, change BIOS settings, and the such.

That‘s found on the AMD Ryzen PRO series.

You can lower the TDP, then called cTDP, on any recent AMDs and/or modify power limits further easily.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Afaik, correct me if I’m wrong, AMD’s “DASH” is what “vPRO” is for Intel, a kind of IPMI. You open MeshCommander or an equivalent and can stream the remote screen, change BIOS settings, and the such.

That‘s found on the AMD Ryzen PRO series.

You can lower the TDP, then called cTDP, on any recent AMDs and/or modify power limits further easily.

The cTDP sounds interesting, Does that work on any Ryzen Board?

LostEnergy

Caliper Novice
Sep 25, 2019
Not sure it works on any Ryzen board, but usually you should see the option in BIOS/UEFI. For Asrock it's misleadingly named “System Configuration”, ASUS calls it “Target TDP.”

If you want to tinker with it on-the-fly, that's what ACPI STAPM values are for. And are especially interesting on notebooks and APUs. But we're on the server-side here. :-)

Reactions: Windfall

chn

Cable Smoosher
Nov 13, 2017
I spent a bunch of time talking with @Thehack and so I want to credit him here, but I think after looking through a bunch of docs and speaking with him, one could power this board (or other 4pin/8pin EPS-like 12V SuperMicro boards) with a Mean Well 252W brick or something like the old Dell DA-2 if you use this adapter:
https://j-hackcompany.com/?product=meanwell-6-to-8-pin-power-adapter
I haven't tested this yet personally, but it makes sense. I plan on attempting this with a SuperMicro board sometime soon, but leaving it here in case anyone else starts to wonder.

Hi, did you end up testing whether you can power the Supermicro board with the Mean Well 252W brick and the J-Hack adapter cable?

I've been considering such a build lately and it's a little frustrating how little information there is about powering their boards with the DC docket. Or maybe I am searching with the wrong terminology.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Hi, did you end up testing whether you can power the Supermicro board with the Mean Well 252W brick and the J-Hack adapter cable?

I've been considering such a build lately and it's a little frustrating how little information there is about powering their boards with the DC docket. Or maybe I am searching with the wrong terminology.
I never bought one @fabio did this with an AsRock workstation board in the Project Pure Thread. Seems to still be working.

On a related note, the AsRockRack Epyc 3000 motherboards look a lot better as they have 10GbE integrated, and they use the same 12V power setup.