Suggestions on a chasis for a server?

johnnydement

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
It's time to update my main pc and I'm still prospecting cases for my future little monster, but I would like to profit most of current one to replace my synology NAS for a full fledged little server that can host not only my files but also some minecraft server or so for the kids (and me he he)

Any suggestion on what would be a good case for it? It will be a LGA1150 i7 with a full size GTX770... my idea is for a case that fits as many 3'5 HDD as possible, current NAS hosts 4 of it, and have some extra ones around the place that would love to fit in...

Thanks!

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Node 304 is great. Depending on what you mean by full-size GPU it can either accept six 3.5" HDDs or four 3.5" HDDs. Been using mine for years as a low power NAS.

Reactions: m.trix

BenX

Chassis Packer
May 22, 2018
Node 804 is also a option? 8 Bays ... MATX ... Dual zone what is better for cooling your CPU, if your really running a minecraft server inside.

dealda

Trash Compacter
Oct 20, 2018
Depending where you want to put the server, the Silverstone GD08 mght be Interesting.
It comes with dustfilters, room for 8x3,5 drives, three fans and room for big cards.

johnnydement

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Node (not sure if 304 ot 804, 304 size is closer to current synology NAS) is also an option, but form factor on the Silverstone GD08 may be an issue...

I tend more for the DS380 as their HDD are hotswappable

Although after reading this review, I might reconsider...

Last edited:

m.trix

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2019
Node (not sure if 304 ot 804, 304 size is closer to current synology NAS) is also an option, but form factor on the Silverstone GD08 may be an issue...

I tend more for the DS380 as their HDD are hotswappable

Although after reading this review, I might reconsider...

I am on the fence as well about the DS380. Was reading up on it and several other cases by Silverstone. Unfortunately it seems hit or miss with the luck of the draw. I believe they may have fixed the backplane issues over time with stock changing but can't confirm. I am leaning towards the 304 since it too reminds me of a Synology and I recall seeing someone using a USB installer to load the SN firmware onto an old HP workstation and basically turn it into a NAS.

johnnydement

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Crap, I finally decided to go with node, now I'm having problems to find a suitable mobo for my CPU...

My wishlist:
  • Suitable for an LGA2011 (not2011-3) CPU
  • Ideally 6 sata
  • Ideally an M2 o mSATA socket where I can install everything, so the HDD are just for data.
  • Micro-ITX evidently
I've got no luck finding a candidate -_-

Guess this may be only option:
ALthough I'm not to confident on the producer XD

Last edited:

m.trix

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2019
Crap, I finally decided to go with node, now I'm having problems to find a suitable mobo for my CPU...
Does it absolutely have to be "2011"? I would check out Supermicro or ASRock Rack on any of the etailers. They make server boards in all sorts of sizes, some with embedded CPUs so all you have to do is fill it out.
I'm back at square one with picking a case...

johnnydement

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Does it absolutely have to be "2011"? I would check out Supermicro or ASRock Rack on any of the etailers. They make server boards in all sorts of sizes, some with embedded CPUs so all you have to do is fill it out.
I'm back at square one with picking a case...
At this point no, but is the difference between "reusing what I already got or not" the whole point of it ?

m.trix

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2019
At this point no, but is the difference between "reusing what I already got or not" the whole point of it ?
Fair point. Always trying to make something outta nothing. I do think there might be some boards on Ebay somewhere. Just keep up the search.

Reactions: dealda

johnnydement

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
Well, update, didn't manage to find any known brand MOBO, so decided to try with aliexpress... Found some nice one, great reviews, have all I needed (except just 2 stata3 and 2 sata 2 ports), buuuuut is 0,5 cm bigger than Node 304 ?‍♂️
Returning it is more expensive than what I paid for it, so now I'm stuck... and starting if it's really worth lol

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Well, update, didn't manage to find any known brand MOBO, so decided to try with aliexpress... Found some nice one, great reviews, have all I needed (except just 2 stata3 and 2 sata 2 ports), buuuuut is 0,5 cm bigger than Node 304 ?‍♂️
Returning it is more expensive than what I paid for it, so now I'm stuck... and starting if it's really worth lol
I've got a free Atom 525 motherboard you can have already populated with RAM, certainly not what you're looking for but could maybe get you jump started: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/ICH9/X7SPA-H-D525.cfm

I used it for years in my Node 304 populated with all six 3.5" drives and a PCIe SSD.