Need help deciding on SFF case for small living room server box

Shahid

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Hey guys,

I am building a small box for a local server that will be used for file hosting and maybe some server hosting. I'm planning on using a 95-watt processor with no GPU and I was wondering what case and CPU cooler would be best for my purposes. I was thinking of the CM Elite 110, but it seems a bit big, I would prefer something smaller but one that can still accommodate a 3.5" drive and a cooler adequate for a 95-watt CPU. I'm open to ideas/recommendations. Thanks!

funklizard

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2017
I am building a small box for a local server that will be used for file hosting and maybe some server hosting. I'm planning on using a 95-watt processor with no GPU and I was wondering what case and CPU cooler would be best for my purposes. I was thinking of the CM Elite 110, but it seems a bit big, I would prefer something smaller but one that can still accommodate a 3.5" drive and a cooler adequate for a 95-watt CPU. I'm open to ideas/recommendations.

I'm not sure what precisely you mean by "some server hosting" (Web hosting?); but those use cases don't exactly jump out as needing a 95W CPU. For a file server, you'd be better served (ahem... sorry) by some of the newer Atom-based boards. If you really want to stick with a socketed CPU, a 35W part will be more than adequate and easy to cool.

Is there some other application you have in mind that isn't apparent in your message?

Have you looked at the Realan cases? There are some in their H and W series that would likely fit the bill, aside from accommodating a 95W CPU. Just about every case I can think of that's designed to accommodate a CPU that hot is also designed to accommodate a discrete GPU, because that's the 95% (or greater) use case for 95W CPUs.

Shahid

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
I'm not sure what precisely you mean by "some server hosting" (Web hosting?); but those use cases don't exactly jump out as needing a 95W CPU. For a file server, you'd be better served (ahem... sorry) by some of the newer Atom-based boards. If you really want to stick with a socketed CPU, a 35W part will be more than adequate and easy to cool.

Is there some other application you have in mind that isn't apparent in your message?

Have you looked at the Realan cases? There are some in their H and W series that would likely fit the bill, aside from accommodating a 95W CPU. Just about every case I can think of that's designed to accommodate a CPU that hot is also designed to accommodate a discrete GPU, because that's the 95% (or greater) use case for 95W CPUs.

I'm planning on using this as a game server box from time to time (Factorio etc.) as well as a potential render machine for my CGI hobby, nothing too serious but since Ryzen CPU's are so cheap I figured why not go for a bigger bang for my money (R7 1800x is $240 while R7 1700 is $220). You are probably right though, I will probably settle with the 1700 and keep the TDP at 65 watts. It doesn't matter too much if the case is designed for a full slot GPU, I just prefer something that is relatively small and can accommodate a 3.5" drive since I have a lot lying around and would rather use them then let them rot away.

The E-H80 looks really nice and seems to have enough clearance for the NH-L9i, which according to online sources should be able to keep a 90-watt load under 70 C

My main concern is that as this is my first PC build, I wouldn't want to make it complicated. I've opened many laptops and AIO's and have a lot of experience with electronics, but I am still wary. This case uses a power brick similar to laptops right? A 60 Watt one by the looks of it. I was wondering if there was something that has a more standard power supply setup so I can use an appropriate PSU for the wattage.

Thanks!

Shahid

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Hold on, just realized that Ryzen would need a video card unless I went for the APU series, which would be what I will probably have to do at this point. That brings my total power down to ~100 watts. Gained 50 dollars at the cost of 8 threads, rip. Still too much for that 60 watt power brick though

funklizard

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2017
This case uses a power brick similar to laptops right? A 60 Watt one by the looks of it.
Yes; but the included DC-DC power board is capable of more than that. (Looks like there are 120W and 150W variants.) You would need to get a beefier AC adapter than the supplied 60W one.
I was wondering if there was something that has a more standard power supply setup so I can use an appropriate PSU for the wattage.
Well, yes... It will be bigger. :)

Another way to go if you prefer an internal power supply is something like an In-Win BM or BP case. These cases also accommodate a low-profile expansion card; so, you could add a low-power GPU if you wanted to.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Or it's slightly bigger brother Silverstone SG08, which I'm currently trying to offload :)