SFF.Network Streacom Launches the DA2

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Feb 28, 2017
You're lucky, I had an unused Gigabyte Z390 (The BIOS was awful and I removed the MB from my DAN).
Here the Dark Rock fit better!! Means that has a bit more space between the socket and the first RAM.
With the ASrock is not possible even to bend a bit the RAM.
Thanks for the photos. Uhm... those RAM modules are a bit more thick than others, don't?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
QuietPC UK has sold out their entire stock (20 Black and 20 Silver) of DA2.
They say next batch will arrive late Feb. That is, after CNY.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Thanks for the photos. Uhm... those RAM modules are a bit more thick than others, don't?
Yes, they are! In fact tomorrow I will try without the ram heatspread with the ASRock!
But I don’t think that the Dark Rock is better than the Noctua C14 with 2 fans!

Reactions: Veryaton

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Feb 28, 2017
Yes, they are! In fact tomorrow I will try without the ram heatspread with the ASRock!
But I don’t think that the Dark Rock is better than the Noctua C14 with 2 fans!

Well, the Dark Rock TF has a bit more clearance... Yes, would be interesting compare with the C14S...

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You're lucky, I had an unused Gigabyte Z390 (The BIOS was awful and I removed the MB from my DAN).
Here the Dark Rock fit better!! Means that has a bit more space between the socket and the first RAM.
With the ASrock is not possible even to bend a bit the RAM.

I previously had a Dark Rock TF mounted to my Gigabyte z370 and it fit with no problem, I had it rotated 90 degrees from what you have and no problems with the ram. Will yours mount on the z390 the same?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I previously had a Dark Rock TF mounted to my Gigabyte z370 and it fit with no problem, I had it rotated 90 degrees from what you have and no problems with the ram. Will yours mount on the z390 the same?
I've tried, but goes against ram and vrm heatisnk for 1/2mm. Maybe mine is a bit bigger by mistake? It will be weird!I will try again and again!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Wow!! That is very frustrating to see inconsistencies with the different torture tests...
My initial thought was to ask if the two C14S fans intake or exhaust, as smaller cases usually have the issue with warm air recirculating... but since your other torture tests have OK temps... I’m confused. Have you tried further bumping down the AVX offset, so that Prime95 Small FFT year would be less tortourous?
I did it, and, after 30 minutes, AVX offset of -6! I got:
CPU temp 87 degrees (The rest are mostly the same) with Vcore Auto at 1.180v

Tried also another 9900K on the Asus Strix Z390 Itx that I have in the DAN case (HW Labs 120mm RAD 30mm, Alphacool Eisbaer LT Block), Gentle Typhoon Fan:
CPU temp 87/90 Degrees, VRM ONLY 83C at 215W??
Vcore 1.180V
MB 55 degrees
PCH 64 degrees
RAM 44 degrees
Front M.2 SSD 60 degrees

The other temps are higher because in the DAN there is no direct cooling apart from the rad, but in idle the pump sound is weird, and the PSU brick is outside. But still, there is something strange. Maybe my ASrock has some power issue?

I will try using the Gigabyte or Asus board in the same condition or switching the 2 9900K...

Reactions: roozter and Nanook

Mini-j

Efficiency Noob
Jan 8, 2019
I've tried, but goes against ram and vrm heatisnk for 1/2mm. Maybe mine is a bit bigger by mistake? It will be weird!I will try again and again!

You can fit the Dark Rock TF on the Gigabute Z390 if you use a dremel or a hacksaw on the lower heatsink like I did.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
More space between the upper fan and the side panel (11 mm), is possible this clearance means better air flow....
More test for you:
As @rfarmer proposed, in my case, with the gigabyte, with the heat pipes back facing down, it works better! With a less tick ram, everything should work!
BUT, the Dark Rock TF is not perfectly symmetrical, at least mine, of few mm, so one direction fits, the 180 degrees not really.
So, in my case, if I want the heat pipes in the "correct orientation", I should rotate the MB, but there is again, the PSU cord clearance.
Otherwise the mounting option will be the @Mini-j, with always the PSU cable issue.

@Mini-j, did you try already the heat pipes facing UP, as in your first image? Does it work?

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Feb 28, 2017
I think that the orientation of Dark Rock should be with the big heat pipes facing rear side, in this orientation, if it fit in the motherboard, the power cable is a problem?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I think that the orientation of Dark Rock should be with the big heat pipes facing rear side, in this orientation, if it fit in the motherboard, the power cable is a problem?
Don’t know, I’ll try this night!

Mini-j

Efficiency Noob
Jan 8, 2019
@fabio just a guess, but with the heatpipes facing up (opposite to how I’ve done it) the dark rock might hit the top of the case because of its offset design.
I think I checked this before I chose to install mine but don’t have a photo and won’t be taking my mine apart any time soon.

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
@fabio just a guess, but with the heatpipes facing up (opposite to how I’ve done it) the dark rock might hit the top of the case because of its offset design.
I think I checked this before I chose to install mine but don’t have a photo and won’t be taking my mine apart any time soon.
Ahahah, no problem! I'll check it this evening!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

This is exactly what I ran into with the TF mounted in a Ncase, I was only able to mount the cooler in one direction due to the fact it extended past the top of the case.

@fabio I see from your pictures that the z390 has some cooling fins on the heatsink that the z370 does not have, gave me a bit more room to play with.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
More test for you:
As @rfarmer proposed, in my case, with the gigabyte, with the heat pipes back facing down, it works better! With a less tick ram, everything should work!
BUT, the Dark Rock TF is not perfectly symmetrical, at least mine, of few mm, so one direction fits, the 180 degrees not really.
So, in my case, if I want the heat pipes in the "correct orientation", I should rotate the MB, but there is again, the PSU cord clearance.
Otherwise the mounting option will be the @Mini-j, with always the PSU cable issue.

@Mini-j, did you try already the heat pipes facing UP, as in your first image? Does it work?

Vengeance LPX modules should clear the cooler in that orientation.

Reactions: fabio

usul

Case Bender
Jan 11, 2019
Got my DA2 in last night. Overall, I really like the case but definitely a few issues to resolve and be aware of. My first go at an ITX build as well so these things are probably just par for the course.

Fractal Design S24 AIO doesn't work very well at all. Tubing is too large and the bending required starts to flex other components. The brave may be fine with this but it made me uncomfortable so I am returning it.

Silverstone 700 SFX-L power supply is also a bit snug for my taste. The modular connectors push on the GPU and cause flex.

I have an order in for a Corsair SF750 so I'm returning the Silverstone as well.

I have ordered a Corsair H100 and hopefully that works a bit better given the tubing connectors are side mount and move.

My part list:

ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX
i9-9900K
32GB Corsair Dominator 3200Mhz
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (eventually gonna transition to 2 1TB to populate both M.2)
EVGA GTX 780 (Soon to be Asus 2080 Turbo blower card)
Corsair SF750 (when it arrives)
Corsair H100 (if it fits)

The case has a few quirks and the finish on mine wasn't perfect. Mostly inside on the panel lips. However, the case still meets my expectation overall. Hopefully I can overcome the minor issues with parts. I didn't bother testing GPU connector clearance or anything of the like. Got a bit impatient trying to figure out the AIO so I just took the parts back out until I have all my parts delivered. Currently just breadboarded on my desk.

ITX is definitely an interesting challenge.

Reactions: 802Shaun

Sirex

Chassis Packer
Dec 6, 2018
My latest configuration with no bottom dust filter, bottom intake and everything else desperately trying to get rid of hot air. This is by far the coolest configuration I've tried and I think it's due to the NF-A14 FLX pushing a lot of cool air to rad and CPU.

I do think airflow is very challenging in this case with restricting dust filters on top and bottom with no way to easily mount fans touching them/very close to force hot air out/cool air in. The 92mm rear exhaust is not nearly enought to get rid of all the heat.

Reactions: bubbl3 and 802Shaun

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
My latest configuration with no bottom dust filter, bottom intake and everything else desperately trying to get rid of hot air. This is by far the coolest configuration I've tried and I think it's due to the NF-A14 FLX pushing a lot of cool air to rad and CPU.

I do think airflow is very challenging in this case with restricting dust filters on top and bottom with no way to easily mount fans touching them/very close to force hot air out/cool air in. The 92mm rear exhaust is not nearly enought to get rid of all the heat.

Your report is interesting.
I mean, as for your display card, it is a hybrid. So, the centrifugal fan is exhausting hot air out of the case instead of dumping it inside. This part is well taken care of. For the display card's rad-fan, you have already set it up as exhaust. So, warmed air is also exhausting out of the case via the side panel. This part is also taken care of. As for the CPU, the U9S is also setup to push air upward and out of the case top. Essentially speaking, no warmed air is being exhausted inside the case that needs to be extracted.
Please see the diagram below. Both GPU and CPU has a direct air path exhausting out of the case.

So, I am wondering why you say ''The 92mm rear exhaust is not nearly enought to get rid of all the heat''?

Contrarily, I propose trying to use the 92mm exhaust fan as intake.
The aim is to use it to supply more fresh air to the U9S intake fan (ie the blue arrow in the diagram). I think, currently speaking, the U9S intake fan is getting its air through the side panel vent holes, which might be a little restrictive. So, the rear 92mm fan might supply more needed fresh air. Also, try to lower the 92mm fan downward as far as possible so that the airflow can be received by the U9S intake fan more directly.

No harm to try. I expect the GPU temp will not differ but the CPU temp will be further lowered somewhat.

Make sense?