SFF.Network Streacom Launches the DA2

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
From watching the video review by Hardware Canucks, I see they provide 4 horizontal universal brackets. 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. The 2 on the top are meant to hold the bracket for the PSU/SSD, while the bottom 2 are meant to be versatile. You can use them to hold a fan or something else. So, I suppose these 2 are 'extra' in this sense.

And I bet, Streacom is likely to offer these brackets as accessories that you can buy from them. Not 100% sure. Let Streacom comment on this one.

ChadT

Chassis Packer
Oct 22, 2018
Update from my end, I ended up buying a cheapo case to hold out whilst re-evaluating options. I still heave my order in, current delivery date is for the 10th... Hopefully no further delays but I have a feeling more might be coming...

Alexander

Average Stuffer
Jun 24, 2018
Update 04/12/2018 - Streacom have assured us that the DA2 will be shipped to us this week. All being well, we will be able ship the cases before Christmas. We will let you know once the cases are on their way to us.

This is the latest update from QuietPC UK. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Veryaton

ChadT

Chassis Packer
Oct 22, 2018
>All being well, we will be able ship the cases before Christmas.

Hrmm... So if things go well, we might get it by early Jan?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
>All being well, we will be able ship the cases before Christmas.

Hrmm... So if things go well, we might get it by early Jan?
Regarding QuietPC UK, if they receive theirs this week or next week, then they can ship out those pre-orders on the week of the 17th. By express air, people should get it just before Christmas, I suppose.

That guy in chiphell is the second person in China that I have come across so far of having received his pre-ordered unit.
Maybe there are others who have received a unit too but do not report. But, two, so far. Does seem the pre-ordered units are being fulfilled.

JDragon

Average Stuffer
Aug 22, 2018
Excited to see a vertical GPU mount and tempered glass panel are in the works. I think one of the new RTX founder's edition cards would look great vertically mounted in a silver DA2.

Of course, then it might be better off as sandwich layout.

Sirex

Chassis Packer
Dec 6, 2018
Do you know the clearance between the mother board and the top of the case, or even better, the distance between the center of the CPU to the top of the case? I'm wondering if the NH-C14s would work in the "heat pipes down"-direction. I already know it will not work with my ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I in any of the other directions, so maybe i can get away with sticking the long part up.

Who knew the vrm heat sinks of this mother board would be such a problem with air coolers.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Do you know the clearance between the mother board and the top of the case, or even better, the distance between the center of the CPU to the top of the case? I'm wondering if the NH-C14s would work in the "heat pipes down"-direction. I already know it will not work with my ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I in any of the other directions, so maybe i can get away with sticking the long part up.

Who knew the vrm heat sinks of this mother board would be such a problem with air coolers.

I also have Asus Z390-I and NH-C14S. I found that the cooler is only able to install in one direction, ie with heatpipes running parallel to the memory modules and the ends pointing away from the GPU. So, if the mobo is positioned in the most typical orientation, the heatpipes are actually ''pointing up''. Is this what you are having too?

Anyway, in the above orientation, the NH-C14S will overhang over the edge of the motherboard. I suppose, this amount of overhang is what worries you about, ie the ends of the heatpipes touching the top of the case.

I estimate, your worry is justified unfortunately!
Pic 1 below shows the clearance between top edge of motherboard and the bottom of the inner acrylic sheet. Basically, it is the thickness of the aluminum 'piece'.
Pic 2 shows the thickness of 10mm which I estimate from the known dimensions of the case, using a pro rata basis.

From my own measurement of the amount of overhang, it needs about 25mm minimum clearance.
So, it is not going to work.

Sirex

Chassis Packer
Dec 6, 2018
I also have Asus Z390-I and NH-C14S. I found that the cooler is only able to install in one direction, ie with heatpipes running parallel to the memory modules and the ends pointing away from the GPU. So, if the mobo is positioned in the most typical orientation, the heatpipes are actually ''pointing up''. Is this what you are having too?

Anyway, in the above orientation, the NH-C14S will overhang over the edge of the motherboard. I suppose, this amount of overhang is what worries you about, ie the ends of the heatpipes touching the top of the case.

I estimate, your worry is justified unfortunately!
Pic 1 below shows the clearance between top edge of motherboard and the bottom of the inner acrylic sheet. Basically, it is the thickness of the aluminum 'piece'.
Pic 2 shows the thickness of 10mm which I estimate from the known dimensions of the case, using a pro rata basis.

From my own measurement of the amount of overhang, it needs about 25mm minimum clearance.
So, it is not going to work.

Thank you, you are totally correct. The amount of overhang is exactly what I was worried about. The "heat pipe ends pointing up"-mounting direction of the NH-C14S is the only one that will work with this motherboard without removing VRM-heat spreaders, and even then I think the cooler probably would interfear with SSD-mounting in the DA2.

With my measurements/estimates I ended up with needing 27mm clearance from the end of the motherboard to the bottom of the inner acrylic sheet of the case, which I agree after looking at your pictures, is not there.

If my other motherbaord measurements are correct, there are 48.5mm from the middle of the CPU to the left VRM heat spreader and 47.5 mm to the first (in my case Corsair Vengeance LPX) RAM-stick, so it should be possible to mount any cooler with 95mm thickness, less than 145mm height and that has it's CPU contact point in the middle. This includes:
- Noctua NH-U9S
- Noctua NH-D9L
- Noctua NH-L9x65
I'm not so worried that the CPU cooler might touch the RAM heat spreader or the VRM heat spreader if my measurements are off by 1mm, so for now im considering the Noctua NH-D9L.

Edit: I found a picture of someone mounting a CRYORIG C7 on this motherboard, which allegedly takes up 97mm. So my measurements might be a little too conservative, even tho this looks to bearly fit.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
@Alexander @Sirex Alas, I have already packed the case away and put it into storage :/
Over the years, a lot of stuff must have accumulated in your storage?
Is it not a waste to store away hardware that you received for review?
I mean, there must be some better ways to treat them.
Eg selling them with the proceeds to finance this site, giving them away by lottery, using them by yourself and other site staff.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Over the years, a lot of stuff must have accumulated in your storage?
Is it not a waste to store away hardware that you received for review?
I mean, there must be some better ways to treat them.
Eg selling them with the proceeds to finance this site, giving them away by lottery, using them by yourself and other site staff.

Not as much stuff as you'd think. The problem is that I'm doing all this out of my bedroom so stuff has to move asap :p A lot of it does come out and is used for testing/etc. A lot of it is used by site staff as well :) Occasionally parts are swapped/sold to fund more parts for testing too. Shipping a case out of NZ would cost a bomb though

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Not as much stuff as you'd think. The problem is that I'm doing all this out of my bedroom so stuff has to move asap :p A lot of it does come out and is used for testing/etc. A lot of it is used by site staff as well :) Occasionally parts are swapped/sold to fund more parts for testing too. Shipping a case out of NZ would cost a bomb though
Or, maybe, just donating larger hardware like a case to a local charity or an orphanage or some place like that to help out the underprivileged. And it fits the season too.

ChadT

Chassis Packer
Oct 22, 2018
Just got an updated ETA from my supplier here in Australia. 20th of Dec. Knew it was coming... but hopefully that's the last delay.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
We have start shipping the DA2's worldwide, thank you for all your patience.:thumb:
Good to know. Looks like those who have pre-ordered will have their unit before Christmas.
I am looking forward to reading many open-boxing and actual builds.