SFF.Network Streacom Launches the DA2

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018

Streacom are sending motherboard standoffs. They should have been pre-installed.

I have tidied up the wiring and changed the fans to pull air though the rad and onto the VRM heatsinks. Going to run prime95 and see what temperatures look like

Next job - find a replacement usb-c 3.1 to front panel cable to replace the provided usb 3.0 cable.

Last edited:

ShaMana

Trash Compacter
Nov 27, 2018

Streacom are sending motherboard standoffs. They should have been pre-installed.

I have tidied up the wiring and changed the fans to pull air though the rad and onto the VRM heatsinks. Going to run prime95 and see what temperatures look like

Next job - find a replacement usb-c 3.1 to front panel cable to replace the provided usb 3.0 cable.

It cleans up well :) well done

I'm thinking to go out through the rad and the case and a back fan to push hot air out as a initial setup, no active fan intake. So I'll be curious to see your temp results.

ShaMana

Trash Compacter
Nov 27, 2018
Just checked my current case, a Corsair 600T. A mammoth in comparison but the gpu connectors look the same distance from the metal. The only bit of difference is that the metal is extremely thin and the cables go over it no issue. I will have an issue with the DA2 it seems

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Temperatures with 280mm AIO pulling air into the case, GPU fans acting as intake from the bottom, PSU fan as intake. No exhaust fans. Prime95 run for 90 mins, then furmark until all temperatures remained constant for 15 mins

CPU/GPU/VRM (max over 90mins), ambient = 20C

system idle: 30 / 30 / 71
prime95 26.6: 52 / 31 / 80
prime95 26.6 + furmark: 57 / 71 / 83

I see these numbers as worst case scenarios, so I'm very happy with these temperatures.

I need to find a better way of exhausting air out of the case. I can feel warm air coming through the bottom of the case, where the GPU pulls its air from, though 71C is acceptable. I can place a fan at the bottom of the case next to the GPU as another intake, but this won't work when i get a longer card in. There isn't space under the GPU for mounting brackets let alone fans.

A lot of air is coming through the side panel opposite to the radiator which is what I wanted.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
C14S performs thermally stronger than U9S but it exhausts internally.
So, if an internal-exhausting C14S goes along with an internal-exhausting display card, with both components dumping hot air inside, this becomes a very tricky situation to manage the airflow, IMHO. If not managed well, hot air will recirculate and all components can suffer.
Of course, if you use a rear exhausting display card (ie with centrifugal fan), then C14S is the way to go.

I will follow, with great interest, anyone's build that has a NH-C14S and an internal-exhausting display card.
This is very interesting!
Where did you get the info that the C14s is better than the U9s?
Do you think even in a dual fan config for the U9s?
I am trying to figure out which is better for cooling a 9900K with no power limits.
In the C14s case, the rear fan will be in exhaust.
With the U9s maybe I will try to have the fan placed as intake from the rear and the side fan as exhaust actually...
If you have more info you save me from buying both! :D

802Shaun

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 25, 2018
I have a DA2 pre-ordered and have been watching this thread. Thanks everyone for the info and pictures! I have some data I can share for those interested in the Noctua C14S. It fits on my ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX motherboard just fine and seems to be doing a pretty good job at keeping my 9700K cool. With two Noctua A14 fans attached to the heatsink, Prime 95 (non-AVX, Small FFTs) gets my overclocked 9700K to 77c with the fans at 100% and 81c with the fans at 60%. This is with the 9700K overclocked to 5GHz at 1.25v. I don't have the DA2 yet, so this is with the parts running on my table without a case. I'm hoping everything fits into the DA2 and that temperatures stay in check. We shall see!

EDIT: This is with an ambient temperature of 72F (22.22c).

Reactions: fabio and tinyitx

ShaMana

Trash Compacter
Nov 27, 2018
I have a DA2 pre-ordered and have been watching this thread. Thanks everyone for the info and pictures! I have some data I can share for those interested in the Noctua C14S. It fits on my ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX motherboard just fine and seems to be doing a pretty good job at keeping my 9700K cool. With two Noctua A14 fans attached to the heatsink, Prime 95 (non-AVX, Small FFTs) gets my overclocked 9700K to 77c with the fans at 100% and 81c with the fans at 60%. This is with the 9700K overclocked to 5GHz at 1.25v. I don't have the DA2 yet, so this is with the parts running on my table without a case. I'm hoping everything fits into the DA2 and that temperatures stay in check. We shall see!

As a general rule of thumb (mine at least) add about 10 degrees on top within the case

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
This is very interesting!
Where did you get the info that the C14s is better than the U9s?
Do you think even in a dual fan config for the U9s?
I am trying to figure out which is better for cooling a 9900K with no power limits.
In the C14s case, the rear fan will be in exhaust.
With the U9s maybe I will try to have the fan placed as intake from the rear and the side fan as exhaust actually...
If you have more info you save me from buying both! :D

A stock U9S should be compared to a stock C14S. If U9S is double-fanned, then C14S can also be double-fanned too.

The general data seems to suggest that C14S has better thermal performance. C14S is 820g, 6 heatpipes and stock fan moves 140 m3/min max vs U9S' 524g + 5 heatpipes + 80 m3/min max.

Example reviews saying C14S > U9S:-
http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-u9s/4
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_c14s_low_profile_cpu_cooler_review,8.html
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7284/noctua-nh-c14s-style-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

But then, there are some reviews saying U9S > C14S:-
https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/cpu_air_cooler_mega_test/39

Additionally, Noctua itself says U9S can handle 215W but the C14S can handle only 190W. Both coolers are rated as ''compatible with certain restrictions''.
https://noctua.at/en/cpu/Intel_Core_i9-9900K

I think, for most situations, C14S will perform thermally better. But in some cases with some airflow arrangement, U9S will be better. However, if you wish to truly max out an i9 9900K, perhaps neither are very suitable. But, if you have to choose between the two, then you will have to actually buy both and try them inside a DA2.

Since DA2's general internal layout is similar to M1, I suggest you might go through the M1 thread to look for hint. I did that myself a few months ago as there are many people using C14/C14S/U9S inside a M1. My general feeling and memory is that, if the airflow is managed well, C14/C14S edges out U9S slightly thermally.
Of course, there are other factors to consider. Eg C14S is so huge that it blocks your access to the motherboard. It might have memory height limitation. But, it blows air down onto the motherboard and cools it. This factor may (or may not) become important, especially when the motherboard is inside a small (SFF) case where the internal is usually densely packed, thus limiting the establishment of clear airflow path(s). The smaller number of case fans of a SFF case does not help either.

Anyway, whether you try both or either one of them, I look forward to read your result.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I wasn't sure about the black, in some pictures it looks like it had a bit of a sheen to it. But it looks matte, looks really good.

The finish on the silver case reminds me a lot of the finish on the base of my old apple thunderbolt display.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018

My CPU temperature (8700K) went from 45C outside the case to 52C inside it. This is running Prime95 26.6 small FFTs.

Reactions: 802Shaun

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I wasn't sure about the black, in some pictures it looks like it had a bit of a sheen to it. But it looks matte, looks really good.

The finish on the silver case reminds me a lot of the finish on the base of my old apple thunderbolt display.
From the number of silver vs black DA2 in the stock of QuietPC UK, it appears that more people prefer silver over black.

roozter

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2018
My DA2 arrived today. :)

Now time to gather all the parts.

I got the Black one, it is sort of a matte finish and not so much of a fingerprint magnet. I thought the case came with extra brackets but it did not on the other hand motherboard standoffs came pre installed.

Reactions: 802Shaun and brt02

ShaMana

Trash Compacter
Nov 27, 2018
From the number of silver vs black DA2 in the stock of QuietPC UK, it appears that more people prefer silver over black.

I've got a silver one. Have a tiny OCD and this black feels like its gonna scratch easy and it will bother the s**t out of me.

StataBuon

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 27, 2018
Would it be possible to fit an exhaust fan out the back if you run a 240mm rad set and justified to the front of the case instead of a 280mm one?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Would it be possible to fit an exhaust fan out the back if you run a 240mm rad set and justified to the front of the case instead of a 280mm one?
Using the Kraken X62 (280mm rad) and the X52 (240mm rad) for a comparison, X62 is 315mm long and the X52 is 275mm long. So, if the X52 is justified to the right (ie the case front), then there will be a free space of 315 - 275 = 40mm. This is at the least as there should be some free space there originally. So, this should allow an fan (25mm thick at least) be installed at the back.

But remember not every 240mm rad measures the same. So, this cannot be generalized.

Reactions: StataBuon

StataBuon

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 27, 2018
Using the Kraken X62 (280mm rad) and the X52 (240mm rad) for a comparison, X62 is 315mm long and the X52 is 275mm long. So, if the X52 is justified to the right (ie the case front), then there will be a free space of 315 - 275 = 40mm. This is at the least as there should be some free space there originally. So, this should allow an fan (25mm thick at least) be installed at the back.

But remember not every 240mm rad measures the same. So, this cannot be generalized.

Is there an idea as to which configuration would offer better cooling?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Is there an idea as to which configuration would offer better cooling?
Again using 280mm rad Kraken X62 vs 240mm rad Kraken X52 for comparison, it seems if your CPU is an upper end i7/i9 and overclocked and under load, the difference will be 2-5C. Whether this is significant, it is subjective.
(https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8109/nzxt-kraken-x62-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/index7.html)

And, if you look at the video review by Hardware Canucks, when they were using the Kraken X52, there is a big difference (14C for the CPU) between default configuration and 'open configuration' (ie when the radiator was outside the case). This means, it is crucial to have enough ventilation (in or out, depending if the radiator fans are set up as exhaust or intake, I suppose) for the DA2. To this regard, I would reckon having the rear 92mm fan might provide more thermal benefit than that of having a 280 rad over a 240 rad.
(HardwareCanucks video @ 15:10)

In conclusion, I personally prefer a 240 plus 92mm fan over a 280 alone.

bubbl3

Case Shuffler
Jul 3, 2018
I am going for a full air build 2700X + 2080Ti FE, have a few coolers around, will probably go for a Noctua NH-D9L with 2 92mm fans, 2 intake fans, 1x 92mm slim exhaust, 1x120mm slim exhaust on top if I can fit one (over the mobo). Curious to see how it performs.
Unfortunately I don't have time to do it until the weekend of January 4th, the wait is killing me :D

Reactions: roozter