SFF.Network Streacom Launches the DA2

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

Some I took on my phone.

I am going to take my time to digest your pics here.:)

It is 'interesting' that the power switch of your SF600 conflicts with the PSU bracket in such a way that the lower left hole (ie the one closest to the switch) does not line up properly.
My Streacom BC1 Mini testbench has a similar problem! The power switch of my SF600 Gold also conflicts with the test bench frame, causing the same hole (as yours) not lining up properly. See pic below. I know another owner of BC1 Mini also has the same problem. Anyway, I have passed on this info to Streacom when I first had the BC1 Mini. So, they should know this problem. Hopefully they will revise the design accordingly.

Is your SF600 the Platinum one? Are those stock Corsair cables?
And yes, you do need some cable management.

Last edited:
Reactions: brt02

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Feb 28, 2017
The one I have fouls against the metal around the PCI expansion slots which stops the cable from plugging into the GPU
Um... this is a bad thing, this seems a design flaw, I have several chassis and I never have been problems with displayport or HDMI cables.
I wonder how Streacom can fix this...

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
A possible solution for the DP issue is to use a file to shave off a tiny bit (maybe 1 to 1.5mm) of the plastic connector.
The worst is that you will lose a cable.
Not an elegant solution but it should work.

Last edited:

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Great to hear you are enjoying our DA2.
Sorry to hear that there is an issue with the standoffs, can you please make a ticket in our support system ( https://streacom.com/contact/ ) ? The Support department will take care of this asap.

Thanks! Its a really nice case and fits well in my space.

Have sent a message through your support system, thanks for your reply.

I am going to take my time to digest your pics here.:)

It is 'interesting' that the power switch of your SF600 conflicts with the PSU bracket in such a way that the lower left hole (ie the one closest to the switch) does not line up properly.
My Streacom BC1 Mini testbench has a similar problem! The power switch of my SF600 Gold also conflicts with the test bench frame, causing the same hole (as yours) not lining up properly. See pic below. I know another owner of BC1 Mini also has the same problem. Anyway, I have passed on this info to Streacom when I first had the BC1 Mini. So, they should know this problem. Hopefully they will revise the design accordingly.

Is your SF600 the Platinum one? Are those stock Corsair cables?
And yes, you do need some cable management.

1mm less on that bracket or the switch would fix it, but i was unwilling to take a file to my shiny new case or power supply. You can get the screws in evetually though

It's the platinum one. Stock cables are fine and train well, but too long for this use case.

I do need to cable manage. It's better than it is in the picture, but I am being lazy on that front because all of this needs to come out again, when my stand-offs issue get resolved.

Um... this is a bad thing, this seems a design flaw, I have several chassis and I never have been problems with displayport or HDMI cables.

I had a quick google last night to see what others had done in this situation, so its not unheard of, but I hadn't come across this previously either.

A possible solution for the DP issue is to use a file to shave off a tiny bit (maybe 1 to 1.5mm) of the plastic connector.
The worst is that you will lose a cable.
Not an elegant solution but it should work.

I used a knife this afternoon to cut away some of the plastic on the dp cable. Cut away 3 mm of plastic, could have gotten away with 1mm as you suggested. It works now :).

ShaMana

Trash Compacter
Nov 27, 2018
This (GPU Inputs) is a pretty serious design flaw. I sure don't with to file neither cables nor case... I wonder if all the cases will arrive with the problems described. They are from a single batch and see no reason not to be. I am a bit concerned to be honest.

I don't have mounting standoffs lying around sadly, so if my case has them missing I can call my build bye bye for two more weeks probably. Holidays vacations, all gone... :(

Last edited:

ShaMana

Trash Compacter
Nov 27, 2018

Some I took on my phone.

That would be ideal. But it is up to them and QuietPC as to what happens.

I gotta ask, Im seeing at least one peripheral power cable fully empty on the PSU. This is a SF600 which should be fully modular right? Why don't you just remove it?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
I wish i could get rid of it.

The AIO is SATA powered. That AIO is responsible be for a lot of cable clutter

SATA to pump
USB 2.0 from motherboard header to pump
4 fan splitter from pump to fans
3 pin pump RPM cable to CPU fan header on motherboard.

Seriously tempted to put a Noctua C14S in there instead.

This (GPU Inputs) is a pretty serious design flaw. I sure don't with to file neither cables nor case... I wonder if all the cases will arrive with the problems described. They are from a single batch and see no reason not to be. I am a bit concerned to be honest.

I don't have mounting standoffs lying around

So far i'm the only person to have mentioned any of this - SF600 mounting issues aside. I know not many people have this case in hand yet, but it's something to keep in mind. HWC have not mentioned these issues, neither has @confusis in his review. Might just be a consequence of my part selection.

ShaMana

Trash Compacter
Nov 27, 2018

SATA to pump

So far i'm the only person to have mentioned any of this - SF600 mounting issues aside. I know not many people have this case in hand yet, but it's something to keep in mind. HWC have not mentioned these issues, neither has @confusis in his review. Might just be a consequence of my part selection.

I do apologize, but I hope it is limited to a small batch. I've got a kraken x52 with sf600 lined up as well and can imagine this is my future disapointinlgy. If I get something better as a solution will be sure to share (no custom cables in mind for now.

Expecting the case on 28th, crossing fingers

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I also need a new displayport cable. The one I have fouls against the metal around the PCI expansion slots which stops the cable from plugging into the GPU. So I'm using the iGPU at the moment instead of my 1080

Measure the slots. The spec says they should be 12mm high. I'm betting they are, and it's actually the cable connector that's thicker than it should be. They might only be tested on cases made from stamped steel <1mm thick.

A few people have encountered this with the M1 as well, but it seems like it's only become a problem within the last year or so. If i had to guess, some commonly available cables have come on the market that aren't designed correctly, or GPU makers have shifted the ports slightly and inadvertently made a conflict more likely.

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Feb 28, 2017
The width of my cable is 10 mm... Yes, it is possible that the GPU ports are too close to the edge... Well, I'm more relaxed.

roozter

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2018

SATA to pump

I'm seriously considering to air cool my planned build. You think that the Noctua C14S would be better than the Noctua U9S or the D9L?

Package is in China now, I should be expecting mine by the 27th, barring no delays in customs.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I'm seriously considering to air cool my planned build. You think that the Noctua C14S would be better than the Noctua U9S or the D9L?

Package is in China now, I would be expecting mine by the 27th, barring no delays in customs.
C14S performs thermally stronger than U9S but it exhausts internally.
So, if an internal-exhausting C14S goes along with an internal-exhausting display card, with both components dumping hot air inside, this becomes a very tricky situation to manage the airflow, IMHO. If not managed well, hot air will recirculate and all components can suffer.
Of course, if you use a rear exhausting display card (ie with centrifugal fan), then C14S is the way to go.

I will follow, with great interest, anyone's build that has a NH-C14S and an internal-exhausting display card.

roozter

Caliper Novice
Dec 15, 2018
C14S performs thermally stronger than U9S but it exhausts internally.
So, if an internal-exhausting C14S goes along with an internal-exhausting display card, with both components dumping hot air inside, this becomes a very tricky situation to manage the airflow, IMHO. If not managed well, hot air will recirculate and all components can suffer.
Of course, if you use a rear exhausting display card (ie with centrifugal fan), then C14S is the way to go.

I will follow, with great interest, anyone's build that has a NH-C14S and an internal-exhausting display card.

If that is the case with the C14S, would a bottom intake fan/side intake fan and a rear exhaust fan/top exhaust fan would help balance the air flow?

I looked at the U12S and cooler is too tall for the case.

Also how would I know if my GPU is an internal-exhausting card?

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
If that is the case with the C14S, would a bottom intake fan/side intake fan and a rear exhaust fan/top exhaust fan would help balance the air flow?

I looked at the U12S and cooler is too tall for the case.

Also how would I know if my GPU is an internal-exhausting card?
Take a look at the link below. The upper card dumps heat inside the case and is internal-exhausting. The lower one exhausts all (or almost all) hot air via the rear, thus is an external-exhausting.

https://techbuyersguru.com/video-card-comparison-blower-style-vs-open-air-coolers

NH-U12S is too tall for DA2's max of 145mm. At this moment, U9S is the best tower cooler (for DA2) available readily. It is slightly better than D9L. However, Thermalright has released Silver Arrow 130 and it is 130mm tall, thus fitting inside DA2. But it is available in China only. Of course, you can order through Taobao or Tmall or whatever Chinese online store you prefer. It is rumored that a revision will come out for the global market soon. How soon? no one knows.

Reactions: roozter

Sirex

Chassis Packer
Dec 6, 2018

It has been discussed earlier in this thread, but I originally bought the C14S to put into the DA2 for it's low profile and excellent thermals, but it was bigger than I expected and at least with my ROG Strix z390-i, it did not fit in any orientation because of the large VRM heat sink. The only orientation that works with the case is the long part/heat pipes ending to the right, witch I think will interfere with intended SSD mounting and rear exhaust fan. Of cause if you don't put an external GPU in there, the heat pipe ends pointing down is physically possible, but not recommended by Noctua.

I would check exhaust fan, VRM heat sink and SSD/PSU clearance.

Btw, I now plan on trying the NH-U9s which has OK cooling performance and I think will work well with rear exhaust and possibly front-side intake.

Reactions: brt02 and roozter

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
It has been discussed earlier in this thread, but I originally bought the C14S to put into the DA2 for it's low profile and excellent thermals, but it was bigger than I expected and at least with my ROG Strix z390-i, it did not fit in any orientation because of the large VRM heat sink. The only orientation that works with the case is the long part/heat pipes ending to the right, witch I think will interfere with intended SSD mounting and rear exhaust fan. Of cause if you don't put an external GPU in there, the heat pipe ends pointing down is physically possible, but not recommended by Noctua.

I would check exhaust fan, VRM heat sink and SSD/PSU clearance.

Btw, I now plan on trying the NH-U9s which has OK cooling performance and I think will work well with rear exhaust and possibly front-side intake.

I reckon, if the two conditions below are met, one can fit a C14S into a DA2:-
1) one does not use Asus Z390I but another motherboard with a smaller VRM heatsink, thus allowing the C14S heatpipes to point in the direction of the case front
2) one does not use 2.5 SSDs (say, substituted by a M.2 SSD installed onboard), thus avoiding conflict with the C14S heatpipes (Actually, I do not think C14S heatpipes will hit either a SFX PSU or 2.5 SSD)

At this moment, I personally think U9S is a good heatsink choice.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I reckon, if the two conditions below are met, one can fit a C14S into a DA2:-
1) one does not use Asus Z390I but another motherboard with a smaller VRM heatsink, thus allowing the C14S heatpipes to point in the direction of the case front
2) one does not use 2.5 SSDs (say, substituted by a M.2 SSD installed onboard), thus avoiding conflict with the C14S heatpipes (Actually, I do not think C14S heatpipes will hit either a SFX PSU or 2.5 SSD)

At this moment, I personally think U9S is a good heatsink choice.

The setup and design of this case will make cooling very similar to the Ncase M1, the cooling setup shown in the picture is very effective in the M1 and should work well in the DA2.

Reactions: fabio

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Measure the slots. The spec says they should be 12mm high. I'm betting they are, and it's actually the cable connector that's thicker than it should be. They might only be tested on cases made from stamped steel <1mm thick.

A few people have encountered this with the M1 as well, but it seems like it's only become a problem within the last year or so. If i had to guess, some commonly available cables have come on the market that aren't designed correctly, or GPU makers have shifted the ports slightly and inadvertently made a conflict more likely.

The cutouts for the slots measure as 15mm, with 5.8mm spacing between both slots.

Further to Necere's reply above, brt02 might measure (say, with a Vernier Caliper) the thickness of the DisplayPort connector to see if it exceeds the 12mm spec.

In the middle of this link, a diagram shows the 12.0mm thickness of the connector.
https://www.extron.com/article/displayportad

Not counting the latch, it is 11mm.
https://www.extron.com/product/printable.aspx?id=dpmmcables

I have this cable
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Cable-Latches-1-2/dp/B0014BQQI4

13.7mm including latch
11.8mm excluding latch
9.8mm after cutting into the casing

(both measurements rounded to nearest 0.1mm)

The width of my cable is 10 mm... Yes, it is possible that the GPU ports are too close to the edge... Well, I'm more relaxed.

That would fit perfectly :)