Production Steck v2.0 - Minimalist, Stackable, Sandwich Style SFF Case. Up to 3x slot GPU [325mm (L)]

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
============================================================
After our launch of Steck V2 in Oct 2022, we are moving to Nouvolo's own official thread:

Vendors and Manufacturers > Nouvolo

We may or may not reply to this thread from here onwards.
============================================================

Steck ver 2.0 - A Minimalist, Stackable, Sandwich Style SFF Case
[Thread for OG version]

This version will retain major features from OG, plus some major improvements:
  • minimalist, modern design
  • sandwich style & horizontal layout i.e. uses PCIe riser cable
  • expansion for more room to house radiators, or other components (top and bottom)
  • all smooth surface (no visible screws on the external)
  • [new] premium class - laser cut and thicker panels, recessed rear I/O panel
  • [new] more secure interlocking clip on panels (no more magnets)
  • [new] improve air flow & thermal performance
  • [new] improve structural strength
  • any other suggestions by the community
And aim for version 2 is to incorporate as many features and improvements as possible as suggested by the SFFF community and OG Steck users (refer to full list of changes below). And with target to be completed in 2021 (refer to project schedule below). With the experience gained from version one, it is also our intention to create a more premium version while keep our price competitive.

Summary Updates (refer to second post for full detail creator's log)

[2021-06-08] Update - 1st prototype complete #53
  • minor adjustment before tooling and pre-production
  • External size & dimensions finalized
  • Dimensions: (L) 343mm (total: with 12mm rear recessed portion) x (W) 156mm x (H) 228mm (+15mm feet)
  • Volume: 11.8L (actual space to fit components, excluding rear recessed portion and feet)

Last Update : 2020-05
2021-01 - project initiation - done
2021-02/03 - community feedback on features and improvement over previous version - done
2021-04/05 - prototyping, design draft, technical drawings, rendering - 90%
2021-06 - finalize spec, pre-production, preparation, tooling - in progress
2021-07 - pilot production, packaging design & sourcing
2021 2H - launch

• Retains minimalist design signature and sandwich style 🥪
  • Premium💎 style with thicker laser cut panels (2mm) & recessed rear I/O panels
  • Interlocking clip on📎 side and top panels (not magnetic)
  • Improved feet design (lowered and optimized for airflow🌬️)
  • Supports 2.3 or 3 slots GPU and length up to 325mm(L)🔥
  • Supports 1x 2.5" hdd (front location, mounted with PSU bracket)
  • Best in class ventilation - supports top and bottom up to 4x, 120 x 15mm tall fans
  • Panels ventilation holes increased by >50%
  • Supports Aquanaut CPU/Pump block with optimized pump height clearance
  • Optional up tp 2x top hats🧩 (smaller) at 34mm(H), for liquid cooling💦 & custom builds
  • Optional tempered glass panels (recommended for liquid cooling config only)
  • Optional PCIe riser cables (gen 4 only)

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Creator's Log

[2021-05-31]
Technical drawings + demonstration
  • Support for top/bottom top hat expansion (30mm height radiators)
  • Tempered glass side panels
  • Support 2.3x / 3x GPU slots
  • Push-pull air flow (bottom to top), with 15mm air intake feet gap

• Minor internal adjustment required before tooling and pre-production
  • External size & dimensions finalized
Dimensions: (L) 343mm (total: with 12mm rear recessed portion) x (W) 156mm x (H) 228mm (+15mm feet)
Volume: 11.8L (actual space to fit components, excluding rear recessed portion and feet)

- Good clearance for angled adapters

• 3mm thickness (tinted grey)
  • Available as option in black, white, pink🔥
IMG_1089-1000-min.jpg

As usual I will be looking to give out 10 units to SFFF community. Invitation will be sent out to some and you are also welcome to submit your request. Please note that I would appreciate if there could be more in depth review and feedback from these units (with photos of your builds), so to help me improve in future updates.

You know what, I could not have incorporated all these improvements in this latest version without previous feedback from the SFF community. I really pushed hard to include as many of you suggestions as possible. And guess it is apparent that there has not been much extra feedback for this latest version, at least on paper, it ticks most of the boxes 😉

Lets get this new version kicking. I am very excited about this latest version. I think it will be so much more refined and premium class, and I hope you will feel the same when you get your hands on to one 🙏

Last edited:
Reactions: Fitchew

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You seem to have addressed most of my complaints with original Steck. Thicker panels, no magnets, smaller stack units, improved ventilation, 3 slot GPU support and different feet.

Reactions: pwnedundies

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Let me know what you think with a (30mm fixed) taller main unit, allowing 15mm fans top and bottom. This should give better cooling performance for air cooling builds without the need for stacking units. Stacking units will just be 30mm for rad housing.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I am running 3 x 120mm Scythe Kaze Flex slim in my Ghost and they help a lot with cooling. The setup you are talking about should work well.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Let me know what you think with a (30mm fixed) taller main unit, allowing 15mm fans top and bottom. This should give better cooling performance for air cooling builds without the need for stacking units. Stacking units will just be 30mm for rad housing.

I think it's a fantastic idea. The slim stack that I threw together for 3D printing to accommodate 2x 15mm fans at the top dropped my GPU temps by ~7 degrees (GTX 1070 Aero) and ~5 degrees on the CPU (i7-7700 with scythe BS2). Personally, I think the Steck looks much more elegant without the stack unit, and having integrated support for 15mm fans on both sides would bring it inline with the SM570 cooling wise.

Reactions: rfarmer

Bramble

Efficiency Noob
Jan 5, 2021
what about raising the top to allow 25mm fans (Or even 2cm for top and bottom)? Is the increased size too large?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Steck v2 Design Draft - Layout & Dimensions

Just a sketch before constructing CAD diagrams. Lets share your thoughts. The earlier the feedback the more likely I can include it in the design.

CPU Side
Slide1.JPG

GPU Side
Slide2.JPG

I/O Panel Side: 2.3 to 3 slots (recessed)
Slide3.JPG

Note: Based on the experience of T1. Will try to maintain CPU side height clearance of up to about 60mm for 3 slots config 😜

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017

Just a sketch before constructing CAD diagrams. Lets share your thoughts. The earlier the feedback the more likely I can include it in the design.

CPU Side
View attachment 946

GPU Side
View attachment 947

View attachment 948

Note: Based on the experience of T1. Will try to maintain CPU side height clearance of up to about 60mm for 3 slots config 😜

On the GPU side, how much clearance is there between the 15mm fan and the top of a 145mm tall GPU? I'm thinking primarily about the power connectors and whether those 180 degree type of adapters might be necessary if the scale in your drawing is correct.

Also, out of curiosity, will it support SFX-L, and if so what is your estimated clearance between the PSU and the lower chassis plate?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
On the GPU side, how much clearance is there between the 15mm fan and the top of a 145mm tall GPU? I'm thinking primarily about the power connectors and whether those 180 degree type of adapters might be necessary if the scale in your drawing is correct.

Also, out of curiosity, will it support SFX-L, and if so what is your estimated clearance between the PSU and the lower chassis plate?
distance from top of GPU bracket to the bottom of fan (top) should be ~40mm, support GPU height of ~145mm. The aim is to have enough space for tall cards or custom loop cards with the adapters sticking out.

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

CPU Side
View attachment 946

GPU Side
View attachment 947

View attachment 948

why slim fans at both top and bottom and not full size fans either top or bottom instead?

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Good news:

Since Steck (ver 2) base unit will support 15mm fans top AND bottom in stock config (no expansion), it will be able to hold the taller blocks or cards, up to about 160mm, but it will take up spaces of the fans. You can put the "stack" expansion at the bottom for the rad. 162mm is getting a bit tight though.

In short Steck can support taller GPU cards or blocks by sacrificing fans to that end. But you will still have room for fans at the bottom.

EK also has GPU blocks in different heights (LxHxW), and all should be "good" with Steck ver 2, with slightly different config:
  1. EK-Quantum Vector RE RTX 3080/3090 : 220x124x20.5mm
  2. EK-Quantum Vector TUF RTX 3080/3090 : 267x148x16.5mm
  3. EK-Quantum Vector Strix RTX 3080/3090 : 293x154x16.5mm

Stinkybear

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 7, 2020
I like the fan choice. Negative pressure has worked well to cool all the components in these sandwich layouts and is in my opinion the most optimized use of space for air cooling. You don't even need a flipped PSU option like the T1 because you account for top and bottom fans. I would include options to offset the PSU with standoffs. I'd be interested in the 10mm removable feet and an accessory like a back hat that can cover cables in the back to make the case vertical. Me personally I'd likely sacrifice the front usb c and rout the power to the back hat to make it work for me but that's my own choice to make a design like this work. I would think others would flip it the other way to have cables running out the bottom.