Steck - Minimalist, Stackable, Sandwich Style SFF Case. Up to 3x slot GPU [325mm (L)]

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
==================================
Steck is available now from our online store.
We are offering a 10% discount for SFFF community.
*Use discount code "STECK-SFFF" at checkout.
==================================

Steck ver 2.0 - A Minimalist, Stackable, Sandwich Style SFF Case

Features
  • Supports 2.4x or 3x slots & 320mm (L) graphics card
  • Best in class ventilation :
    • supports up to 4x 120mm chassis fans (15mm thickness)
    • over 30% increase in mesh area (over previous version)
  • Supports flip over placement (top & bottom symmetry)
  • Detachable / customizable feet
  • Precision laser cut (2mm) aluminum external panels
  • Secure clip on interlocking panels
  • Marshmallow pink color variant is back!
  • Top hat option for AIO or custom liquid cooling (240mm radiator)
  • Glass panel option for RGB & internals showoff

steck-email.jpg IMG_2496.jpg
steckv2-glass-tophat-fixed-1200w.jpg

Last edited:

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
can we pre-order the Marshmallow pink?
Thanks for your interest. But we would prefer not to take the money until we are at the later stage of our production, based on our experience. But we can say at this stage we are 99.9% certain that Frost White & Marshmallow Pink will reach the market.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Thanks for the review by Sheen from Machines & More

LOL, I just re-watch the video and seems that M&M has made a mistake in the fans configuration. The bottom fans should be pulling air from the bottom of the case. But he has installed it to blow air out at the desk..., probably explains why he had some "strange" results. Just unfortunate 🥺

You can refer to 7:34 and 13:33 of the video

M+M fans.jpg

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
LOL, I just re-watch the video and seems that M&M has made a mistake in the fans configuration. The bottom fans should be pulling air from the bottom of the case. But he has installed it to blow air out at the desk..., probably explains why he had some "strange" results. Just unfortunate 🥺

You can refer to 7:34 and 13:33 of the video

View attachment 2132

Top and bottom exhaust is the ideal configuration on similar chassis like the SM570/580, as it helps dissipate the GPU heat that exits along the "long edges" and forces all intake to be through the side panels. Did bottom intake not lead to significant heat re-circulation in your testing? Also, in my experience blowing air down at the desk actually reduces the dust ingress as otherwise it would be pulling in any that would settle on that desk area.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Top and bottom exhaust is the ideal configuration on similar chassis like the SM570/580, as it helps dissipate the GPU heat that exits along the "long edges" and forces all intake to be through the side panels. Did bottom intake not lead to significant heat re-circulation in your testing? Also, in my experience blowing air down at the desk actually reduces the dust ingress as otherwise it would be pulling in any that would settle on that desk area.
Your point is valid on "GPU" temp. M&M's review temps are on CPUs.

I think it can make a difference to the CPU temp depending on the CPU cooler. Bottom fan exhaust could be okay if the CPU cooler fan is pulling air in (i.e. downward blowing fan on to the CPU), similar to a GPU. But for coolers such as NH-L12S, that pushes air out, it may be better to push more air in from the bottom. Otherwise, in that case, there is no in take at all.

We did our temp test with NH-L12S. Anyway M&M compare temps of Steck with other cases using different coolers... wonder why he chose different cooler and wonder if the coolers themselves can make a difference.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Further more 10:42 of
Furthermore, another point of interest, at 10:42 of the video, the cooler orientation seems to be in (4), based on Noctua diagram. Don't know if that will make a big difference though.

m+m2.jpg

Top_flow_orientation-border.png

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
We did our temp test with NH-L12S. Anyway M&M compare temps of Steck with other cases using different coolers... wonder why he chose different cooler and wonder if the coolers themselves can make a difference.

It sounded to me like it was what he had on hand that would fit the package, and he specifically wanted to show that in his case he could fit a taller cooler than the dimensional spec. I'm sure that there is a difference: thermal mass, thermal resistance, fin pitch induced impedance, etc will all contribute; but all that said my Scythe BS3 has out performed my L12S by a few degrees (likely primarily due to the full size 25mm fan).

I think it can make a difference to the CPU temp depending on the CPU cooler. Bottom fan exhaust could be okay if the CPU cooler fan is pulling air in (i.e. downward blowing fan on to the CPU), similar to a GPU. But for coolers such as NH-L12S, that pushes air out, it may be better to push more air in from the bottom. Otherwise, in that case, there is no in take at all.

The L12S can be configured to as either push or pull (just gotta flip the fan), in MM's config he was using the Scythe BS3 as intake, so bottom exhaust should be helpful. However, as you can see at 6:20, the fins are oriented horizontal which would be sub-optimal with bottom exhaust (but may be a limitation of his motherboard).

Furthermore, another point of interest, at 10:42 of the video, the cooler orientation seems to be in (4), based on Noctua diagram. Don't know if that will make a big difference though.

Having heatpipes in that orientation will negatively affect performance. Basically, gravity is now fighting the capillary effect reducing the conductivity of the heatpipe. In my experience, this can increase temps by as much as 2-3 C, but those values are totally dependent on the thermal mass of the cooler and the size of the heatpipes relative to the CPU wattage.

Reactions: Nouvolo

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Steck is now available in all colors : Matte Black, Frost White & Marshmallow Pink
Thanksgiving and early Xmas sale is on right now!

PI51P21-d.jpg