Production Sparrow-MQ6 6.8L One-piece aluminum(Sparrow for increased compatibility)

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020

2023/5/6​

Product design adjustment

Adjustment items
1. Added front Type-c port.
2. Shape fine-tuning, increasing the rounded curvature of the shell.
3.The height of the housing has been increased by 3mm, from 210mm high to 213mm high.

Please visit my website for more detailed update details.cooj.cc

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

2021/7/1​

Added a free new accessory, the halo switch button.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

2021/6/22​

A new accessory has been added to insulate the GPU and PSU from hot air transfer.

2021/5/6​

My website is now live and you can now book or purchase through the website.
https://cooj.cc/

Preface​

Sparrow MQ6 continues the design concept of the MQ5 unibody aluminum shell, the main difference between the two is the width and compatibility with hardware.
I will provide a sample of MQ6 in July, if you want to know more you can refer to the MQ5 sample first.

Here is the link to MQ5.
Sparrow-MQ5 5.5L One-piece aluminum

MQ6 Specifications​

Size235mm*210mm *140mm
MaterialAluminum alloy
Weight≈2.3kg
Motherboard specificationsMINI-ITX
Power supply specificationsFLEX-1U
Cpu cooler height limit≤72mm
Graphics card length limit≤219mm
Installable hard drive1*2.5 Thickness 7mm
Top Fan Specifications12015
pci-e extension cable length195mm

The difference between MQ6 and MQ5​

MQ6 Introduction​

One last time​

The MQ6 prototype still needs to wait a while.
You can refer to the MQ5 prototype first.
Here is the link
Sparrow-MQ5 5.5L One-piece aluminum
Hope you like it 😋

Last edited:

daddelbud

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
I think im in love... few questions:
have you done any temp testing?
when and where can it be bought?

Last edited:
Reactions: COOJ

KingJ

Cable Smoosher
Sep 29, 2019
Really like this one, looks perfect to me! Would you be open to offering more colour options in the future? Maybe nice greens or blues?

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
I think im in love... few questions:
have you done any temp testing?
when and where can it be bought?
The prototype of MQ6 is not finished yet, so I can't do the temperature test, but I roughly deduce from the temperature test of MQ5 that MQ6 can install CPU with TDP at 180W.(AXP100 FULL+12025fan)
I will build my website next week, then you can order on the website, probably shipped in August.

Reactions: Sziklapeti

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Really like this one, looks perfect to me! Would you be open to offering more colour options in the future? Maybe nice greens or blues?
Of course, in the future I will provide more colors and will try various surface treatment processes.

Reactions: Sacha

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Wow! This looks great. I haven't browsed this forum lately, but this is an exciting case.

Price and how to buy?
Now in the crowdfunding stage.
The crowdfunding price in US dollars, depending on the exchange rate, is approximately.
MQ5:$154
MQ6:US$170

I am building my own website and it will be online soon.

I will also be offering a package that includes a PCIE extension cable and power supply to make installation easy.

Reactions: Sziklapeti

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Now in the crowdfunding stage.
The crowdfunding price in US dollars, depending on the exchange rate, is approximately.
MQ5:$154
MQ6:US$170

I am building my own website and it will be online soon.

I will also be offering a package that includes a PCIE extension cable and power supply to make installation easy.
I'm interested and will wait for your website to go live. Once that happens, you should make a post on the SFF Reddit. I'm sure you'll get lots of customers that way.

Reactions: Ca11idus

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
I'm interested and will wait for your website to go live. Once that happens, you should make a post on the SFF Reddit. I'm sure you'll get lots of customers that way.
I will post the site when it is ready. 😋

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
@COOJ Is there a reason to keep the pcie opening at the back 2 smaller slots? Why not 1 larger opening for a 2 slot GPU, to maximize airflow?

xredlinexx1

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2019
Amazing looking case! I'm really excited to get a black one.

Is it possible for you add support for mounting an hdplex 400w ac/dc and 400w dc-atx in place of the flex?

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
Amazing looking case! I'm really excited to get a black one.

Is it possible for you add support for mounting an hdplex 400w ac/dc and 400w dc-atx in place of the flex?
I can't provide support for either of the power supplies you mentioned because the design has now been determined.
If you want to use hdplex 400w ac/dc and 400w dc-atx, then you will have to do a little modification yourself, the best way is to stick it to the inside of the case via double sided tape.
I would offer the very quiet FLEX PSU as a package to go with it, perhaps you might want to consider it, this power supply itself is used on servers and is very stable and efficient.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
@COOJ ETA on the website? I will pre-order, but prefer ordering through you vs a third party on Taobao.

I decided the Silver MQ6 is going to be my next case.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
It's a very nice case, but I have an issue: The power supply exhaust. It seems to dump back in the case due to the lack of height of the feet. With that, I would suggest you up the specs of the exhaust fan to 120x25 so we can use a quieter fan. Overall though I like it a lot and will buy one for my HTPC.

On a more minor front, I would suggest either a completely clean front with no I/O, or also put USB Type A ports on it.

219mm GPU support is 13mm short of going from a 3060ti to 3070 (Zotac). 15mm of additional length opens up options.

Also, GPU width might be an issue. Manufacturers are moving toward 2.2 to 2.5 slot variants.

Will this PSU work?

Have you considered designing around this PSU?

It's a popular choice right now though an SFX unit woud be nice as well.

That sounded harsh so let me say the things I like about the case:

1. Thick aluminum outer case.
2. Two tone side panels with holes.
3. Some sort of top Exhaust.
4. Smooth rounded corners.
5. Simple but elegant design.
6. 200mm+ GPU support.

and

7. SUPPORT FOR THE NOCTUA L12S CPU COOLER. Bar none, this is the MOST IMPORTANT cooler for modern SFF.

Last edited:

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
@Revenant You bring up some nice points. My plan is to reverse the fan orientation on the FLEX unit, pulling air from the bottom and exhausting out the top. Those small 40mm fans typically have good static pressure, so I'm hoping it will be sufficient.

And before anyone interjects, there are FLEX units made for retail that have the fans reversed. It's also been shown that you can improve temps in some units by reversing the fans.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
@Revenant You bring up some nice points. My plan is to reverse the fan orientation on the FLEX unit, pulling air from the bottom and exhausting out the top. Those small 40mm fans typically have good static pressure, so I'm hoping it will be sufficient.

And before anyone interjects, there are FLEX units made for retail that have the fans reversed. It's also been shown that you can improve temps in some units by reversing the fans.

Noctua swap?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Noctua swap?
I'll keep the original fan on the ENP 7660b, reverse it, and see how it fares first. The Noctua fans don't have enough airflow to safely cool a full 600 watt draw. While my current system doesn't pull that many watts, I want to plan ahead (and not shorten the life of my PSU).

COOJ

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 31, 2020
It's a very nice case, but I have an issue: The power supply exhaust. It seems to dump back in the case due to the lack of height of the feet. With that, I would suggest you up the specs of the exhaust fan to 120x25 so we can use a quieter fan. Overall though I like it a lot and will buy one for my HTPC.

On a more minor front, I would suggest either a completely clean front with no I/O, or also put USB Type A ports on it.

219mm GPU support is 13mm short of going from a 3060ti to 3070 (Zotac). 15mm of additional length opens up options.

Also, GPU width might be an issue. Manufacturers are moving toward 2.2 to 2.5 slot variants.

Will this PSU work?

Have you considered designing around this PSU?

It's a popular choice right now though an SFX unit woud be nice as well.

That sounded harsh so let me say the things I like about the case:

1. Thick aluminum outer case.
2. Two tone side panels with holes.
3. Some sort of top Exhaust.
4. Smooth rounded corners.
5. Simple but elegant design.
6. 200mm+ GPU support.

and

7. SUPPORT FOR THE NOCTUA L12S CPU COOLER. Bar none, this is the MOST IMPORTANT cooler for modern SFF.
Thanks for your suggestion!

In fact there are already some people who have pre-ordered the MQ6, so I will leave the structure as it is without any major changes (there may be some minor internal optimizations).

Regarding the power supply duct, this is nothing to worry about, in fact there is a hollowed out part at the bottom, enough for the PSU to draw in air.

The length of the card has been fixed at 219mm, evga and asus have rtx3060ti/rtx3070 with lengths around 200mm to choose from, and the width of the card is required to be under 42mm.

The PSU you show cannot be used on MQ6, which can only use FLEX 1U type PSU.

In fact size and compatibility are two conflicting concepts in themselves, and the current choice is as balanced a choice as I personally think I can achieve.

Finally, thank you very much for liking my design.

Reactions: scatterforce