Other SOLVED. I am using a M.2 extender in a mITX board, but it doesn't work, please help.

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Hello.

The M.2 slot is a normal PCIe slot, doesn't?

I have a mITX computer, and I need one more PCIe slot, for a 10GB ethernet card. So, I have purchased a M.2 extender in this web: http://www.era-adapter.com/m2-keym-to-pcie-x4-extender-cable-rightward-r4s-r2r-p-300.html, for using in the M.2 slot of my Asus Z97 I-Plus (at the rear of motherboard). The main PCIe x16 is for the graphic card, a Quadro K4200. That is how it appears:

But, it doesn't work!. With or without extra power, the new 10 gigabit card is no recognize by the system.
And I don't know where is the problem ??? Maybe the M.2 slot of this motherboard is only for SSD drives... In the bios there is not anything about this...

Please, anyone know anything about this? Is this config a good idea? or is a madness?

Regards

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
According to the spec sheet for your board the M.2 slot is a 10Gb/s M.2 and M-keyed which means it should work, albeit not as fast as you would like (PCIe x2 instead of x4). Have you tried other cards in the adapter and tried the Quadro that you know works in the adapter to troubleshoot yet?

Reactions: Phuncz

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Probably a stupid question but what OS, are there drivers that need to be installed?

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Have you tried other cards in the adapter and tried the Quadro that you know works in the adapter to troubleshoot yet?

Well, I have been doing several test, the first was to put the Nic card in the pcie slot of the mainboard, and here it works great, no problem. Tested with my NAS and the velocity is 10Gb (Monitor in mainboard's DVI out)
The second test was using the extender but without bends, straight (the monitor in the DVI out of mainboard too), but again the Nic card doesn't work...
And the M.2 slot is OK, because before this problem there was a M.2 SSD...

Probably a stupid question but what OS, are there drivers that need to be installed?
No problem of drivers, in the motherboard's PCIe the card is working OK.

I am not sure, but it seems this exterder is damaged... The next step will be to get another motherboard and to test the extender.

Thanks

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Are you powering the extender with the NIC in it? The NIC will need the extender to be powered.

I agree with @Kmpkt test your GPU in the extender with the 6-pin connector. It could be that the extender works (carries data signal) but the power doesn't.

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Are you powering the extender with the NIC in it? The NIC will need the extender to be powered.

Yes, I tried several times, with and without extra power in the extender, but is the same. The Nic card have not an external power connector.

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
SOLVED!!

The problem was the power cable. The adapter has a mini Molex for power, and I was using a mini Molex from the PSU, but that doesn't work, I must to use the cable which coming with the adapter, mini Molex to Sata power.
I thought that the mini Molex from the PSU was the same, but it was a bad idea.

Now the NIC works great!

Regards

Reactions: Curiosity