Motherboard Second PCIe card in mITX board with an extender

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Hello. I saw this extender in a thread in this forum: http://bplus.com.tw/ExtenderBoard/R4 Series.html
It appears a good solution for mITX motherboards with M.2 in the rear. But I think that there is something wrong with them... the PCIe slot in this extender is backwards!
Please, see attached pic.

Or, I am lost any important detail and I am wrong?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
If you fold the ribbon cable the other way (relative to top image) would it work out? PCIe is a keyed slot. Your second image is not rendering. Suggest you put it on imgur.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Thanks.
Yes, I am testing with a strip of paper and it is possible to do it, but it would have been easier to put the slot in the opposite direction.
There are no second images, it is my mistake to create the thread.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
See if they sell the left-angled one on the PCIe socket instead?

The socket should be facing the correct way with the single bend on the left-angled one. Can anyone double-check the maths on this?

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
The left angled slot only put the slot downwards, but the direction is the same.
I have tested with a simple strip of paper, my result say me that the left angled version needs a bend less.
For example, with bends to 90 grades, I need four (4) bends with the left angled version.
The more simple mode is with one bend a 180 grades, then is only need two bends (the second at 90º), but I don't know if there is enough space below the motherboard (usually this space is minimum) for a 180º bends, the ribbon cable can to be very thick and hard for a perfect fold.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Which way does the open end of the M.2 slot face on your mobo? I have the MSI H270i, and the opening on the M.2 slot faces the rear IO. From post #5, it apears that your slot is open away from the rear IO.

Veryaton

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 28, 2017
Yes, is Ok, in post #5 the drawing is from an Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac, the drawing in post #1 is from Asus Z97 I-Plus, my current motherboard. But in both directions is the same.
I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this extender.