Smallest case that supports optical drive and dual-slot low-profile GPU?

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
So far, there is one solution....

Design your own case ?
That's frustrating. You'd think that a company would want to capitalize on a market that wants to build PCs roughly the size of game consoles that also have at least the amount of features that a game console has (AKA a decently powerful GPU and an optical disc drive). I understand that you'll never be able to get it down to the same size comparatively because you're talking about off-the-shelf parts vs. customized soldered parts, but you can still get smaller than what's currently available on the market...

... for the most part. The Cemo 1001 looks like it fulfills my criteria just fine!

I'd help.
Oh? What do you mean by that?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
That's frustrating. You'd think that a company would want to capitalize on a market that wants to build PCs roughly the size of game consoles that also have at least the amount of features that a game console has (AKA a decently powerful GPU and an optical disc drive). I understand that you'll never be able to get it down to the same size comparatively because you're talking about off-the-shelf parts vs. customized soldered parts, but you can still get smaller than what's currently available on the market...

... for the most part. The Cemo 1001 looks like it fulfills my criteria just fine!

Oh? What do you mean by that?

I would do the CAD, but I sure can't manufacture it.

Reactions: RichterSnipes

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Emko EM-142 (W186mm x L270mm x H114mm = 5.73L) supports slim 5.25" and maybe will fit normal height two slot card (with PCI-E riser), but very limited to 145mm length (gtx1050 and gtx1650 are available in this size), because ODD is 128mm long. Even this way 145+128=273 those 3 mm are over case limitation and also need space for SATA power cable. So here need some creativity all to fit. (Maybe with single slot Inno3D GTX1650 (GTX1050) will fit under the slim drive, but this is not sure)
Also for higher wattage power supply only option is ACDC + DCATX solution

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
I would do the CAD, but I sure can't manufacture it.
No worries about that. I can live with my case for now, I'm probably not changing out any hardware for the foreseeable future. This thread was mainly for seeing if there's anything out there now that'll work with what I'm looking for. I appreciate the offer, though!
Emko EM-142 (W186mm x L270mm x H114mm = 5.73L) supports slim 5.25" and maybe will fit normal height two slot card (with PCI-E riser), but very limited to 145mm length (gtx1050 and gtx1650 are available in this size), because ODD is 128mm long. Even this way 145+128=273 those 3 mm are over case limitation and also need space for SATA power cable. So here need some creativity all to fit. (Maybe with single slot Inno3D GTX1650 (GTX1050) will fit under the slim drive, but this is not sure)
Also for higher wattage power supply only option is ACDC + DCATX solution
Not sure how I feel about describing it as "creative". I think the correct word is "impossible". Modern graphics cards don't come smaller than 145mm in length, and you're not gonna find a disc drive short enough to fit. And, like you said, that's before even considering clearance for the SATA power cable.

It seems that the dual slots are meant more for utility expansion cards and not for GPUs.

Reactions: Windfall

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
Morex 2799 (5.4L) slim 5.25", dual slot normal height and Pico PSU (AC adapter and internal DC ATX)
Also Jetway JC-110-B and Casetronic C137 (and C212 supports FlexATX)
Only negative is price ($150 for C137)
You're on a tear finding these cases! I've never heard of any of them or their manufacturers.

What's wild is how old these cases seem to be. Their USB ports are either 2.0 or nonexistent. The crazier part is that they actually support full-size GPUs! Well, ITX-size, that is. These cases would work wonders if you've got the right PSU setup! I wonder if there are any cases like this that are more recent, either with USB 3.0 ports or with a more modern/sleek design.

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
In case anyone needs a bit of a visual to see what I'm thinking of, here's a picture edit I made of the back of the ML09. The half with the PSU and drive caddy has been shrunk to about the size taken up by a Flex ATX PSU. I feel like making something like this would be very possible:

Is this what you're looking for?

This case is less common than it was a year ago and a lot harder to find. It seems to have vanished from the market, but I think you can still find some possibly on aliexpress or Taobao if you keep your eyes peeled. There's also the Cemo 9001 if you decide to forsake the optical drive which is basically the same case except a bit shorter and minus the optical drive.

Last edited:

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Now that's more like it! I really like the look of it. It's sleek and just screams "entertainment center", which is always a plus for me.

Hey, I just noticed this thread.
The album on my thread looks live to me: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/i-think-i-found-a-little-gem-realan-e-i7.6175/
Let me know if you somehow cannot see the pics.

I'm very happy with the Realan e-i7 but for your usecase, you need to consider power supply and cpu cooler options to fit inside the case along with the ODD...

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Aug 17, 2019
Is this what you're looking for?

This case is less common than it was a year ago and a lot harder to find. It seems to have vanished from the market, but I think you can still find some possibly on aliexpress or Taobao if you keep your eyes peeled. There's also the Cemo 9001 if you decide to forsake the optical drive which is basically the same case except a bit shorter and minus the optical drive.
This case was posted on the last page. It's a curious case, for sure. It's definitely something that others should look into. I'm just not 100% sold on it as of now. I probably won't buy a new case in the near future, I'm looking to mess around with my PC as-is for awhile.
Hey, I just noticed this thread.
The album on my thread looks live to me: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/i-think-i-found-a-little-gem-realan-e-i7.6175/
Let me know if you somehow cannot see the pics.

I'm very happy with the Realan e-i7 but for your usecase, you need to consider power supply and cpu cooler options to fit inside the case along with the ODD...
The album wasn't showing at the time I posted that. Seems to be working now.

My current CPU cooler is the Noctua NH-L9i. Would that be short enough to let the ODD (and its white shroud) fit? More importantly, would that compromise the cooling for the CPU enough to be an issue? If so, how are you even supposed to be able to use a disc drive with this thing?

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
L9i should fit just fine. AFAIR, it has a 60mm clearance with the ODD, which you install via a bracket the case comes with.

PSU-wise, you would likely have to use an external brick, especially if you use an ODD.

zack20cb

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 24, 2019
Thanks! I don't see why it can't exist, and why it still doesn't today.

Hopefully that changes soon enough. You watching this, Silverstone? ?

I have an ML09 inbound from Amazon today for a basic Ryzen 3600 build with a Nvidia 1030 GT. Depending how the cable routing goes and the specifics of how the case is constructed, I might be tempted to mod the case based on your mock up. It could be as simple as dremeling out the unwanted section and stitching it back together with pop rivets and strips of aluminum.