Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

Ion23

Cable Smoosher
May 11, 2018
Has anyone tried to squeeze asus eatx boards into the Cerberus x? Is it possible? Their boards are wider at 272mm.

Last edited:

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
Marc,

I am debating on the new full window panel or the half window panel or just normal vented panel. Do you think the vented panel is worth it vs bare vented?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Marc,

I am debating on the new full window panel or the half window panel or just normal vented panel. Do you think the vented panel is worth it vs bare vented?
Well, answer is simple for my setup (open aircooled gpu) vented side panel is mandatory as it is where 90% of hot air is exhausted...:)

Now with different components and cooling setup, full windowed panel is perfectly doable. For example, a cryorig h7 (new rgb version is beautiful) with founder edition gpu type should work perfeçtly in cerberus with full windowed side panel

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
My setup is going to be very similar to this build. It seems like I would be better with the standard panel:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
My setup is going to be very similar to this build. It seems like I would be better with the standard panel:

Definitely, if you are going to Threadripper platform, standard vented panel is a must...;)

Are you planning to choose threadripper 2 as cpu?

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
Actually i had pm’d him about the build.

I have a z370 taichi and 8700k + evga 1080.

I have the same power supply and I am basically giving my meshify c and my noctua nh d15 to a friend. Taking my parts with me to something more portable.

Basically i need to wait for enermax to release the liqtech ii which is the same aio without the threadripper lock in. I havent found anything that will clear the atx psu.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
As you go for Z370 board, you can stick to asetek aio. Fractal design Celsius S24 is fitting inside cerberus-X with reat ATX psu.
After Enermax TR4/liqtech ii aio are great also.

callumbolch

What's an ITX?
Jun 29, 2018
Just bought myself a Cerberus X before Australians start getting GST on all international purchases under 1000AUD next financial year.

So stoked for its arrival. Had been watching the Cerberus project when the kickstarter failed and then gave up on it ever getting to market. Was excited to see it appear on my radar again.

On a side note the shipping costs are horrendous - 130USD to get it to my door.

Can anyone confirm that 280mm AIOs fit? The nzxt x61 us my current but I haven't seen a 280mm in any photos yet. Looks like it would be very tight.

Reactions: VegetableStu

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Just bought myself a Cerberus X before Australians start getting GST on all international purchases under 1000AUD next financial year.

So stoked for its arrival. Had been watching the Cerberus project when the kickstarter failed and then gave up on it ever getting to market. Was excited to see it appear on my radar again.

On a side note the shipping costs are horrendous - 130USD to get it to my door.

Can anyone confirm that 280mm AIOs fit? The nzxt x61 us my current but I haven't seen a 280mm in any photos yet. Looks like it would be very tight.
Welcome to Cerberus community...;)

Well 280 rad is fitting either on front (without sfx psu) and on bottom. Drawback on 280mm bottom location is lack of space between bottom of motherboard (where some i/o are located) and radiator.

Reactions: callumbolch

kecoal2

Caliper Novice
May 6, 2018
hey Marc,

I got my case and I got some initial pictures up.
I got a front mounted ATX unit working with zip ties. One thing I found out though was that my PC was freezing and my headphones started squealing random noise during my time playing a few games. Do I need some form of an exhaust? I have 2 140mm intakes at the bottom. I need to redo cable managed beneath the PSU to attempt to stick in a possible fan there. What I currently did was I opened up the PCIE slots and the dust cover and that seems to have cooled the sound components. Any suggestions?

I am going to update some more pictures tomorrow. I have a Scythe Fuma Rev B triple fan setup as the cooler. Almost done closing the side panels XD

You'lll see my post on this page.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...-the-18l-matx-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-223

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
hey Marc,

I got my case and I got some initial pictures up.
I got a front mounted ATX unit working with zip ties. One thing I found out though was that my PC was freezing and my headphones started squealing random noise during my time playing a few games. Do I need some form of an exhaust? I have 2 140mm intakes at the bottom. I need to redo cable managed beneath the PSU to attempt to stick in a possible fan there. What I currently did was I opened up the PCIE slots and the dust cover and that seems to have cooled the sound components. Any suggestions?

I am going to update some more pictures tomorrow. I have a Scythe Fuma Rev B triple fan setup as the cooler. Almost done closing the side panels XD

You'lll see my post on this page.
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...-the-18l-matx-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-223
Thanks for noticing me..:)
For troubleshooting, I might give some hints.

First, if it were overheating issues, your PC should shut down directly. PC freezing is another of failure, most probably not related to overheating.

You need to verify all your components. For that, you can proceed like this :
  • update your motherboard bios (Z370 platform is well known to be buggy at early stages...even more than Ryzen)
  • Run bios with all default (except maybe xmp ram)
  • Do not apply any overlcocking on gpu (like it by default)
  • Monitor temperatures ingame (afterburner and whatever software)
  • Try again your favorites games

I hope this will help you.