Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Cocorico!
In Build Logs forum, today, 22th november 2017, my Cerberus-X log is number #1 and my S4 mini log is number #6 in views..:)

You know what? I'm happy..:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, after a full week of intense 4k gaming (assassin creed origins using up to 250-270w with 99% gpu load...ok far away from Mass Effect Andromeda with its 320-330w..:)), my last Cerberus-x setup is working like a charm.
Very quiet (near silent) with idle or low charge.
Quiet while gaming (hearing wind sound mostly)
Even under heavy load, gentle typhoon spinning at 1600rpm are fairly quiet (by 1700+ rpm, it’s becoming noisy)

I’m still looking to fin true heir of my gentle typhoon but i’ve failed to find them yet.
Here is my current contender list :
  • Noctua new upcoming nf-a12 : well a lot to know about them...as they are not released
  • Fractal design hp-12 : motor is becoming noisy a bit too quickly
  • Ek vardar 2200 evo : well, only 50k hours lifespan, not confident about their noise level...but as great as gentle typhoon on pull position on radiator
  • Corsait ml pro 120 : not confident about motor noise. Blades are not fully optimised for radiator
Do you have any quality pwm 120 fans advices ?

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
Well, after a full week of intense 4k gaming (assassin creed origins using up to 250-270w with 99% gpu load...ok far away from Mass Effect Andromeda with its 320-330w..:)), my last Cerberus-x setup is working like a charm.
Very quiet (near silent) with idle or low charge.
Quiet while gaming (hearing wind sound mostly)
Even under heavy load, gentle typhoon spinning at 1600rpm are fairly quiet (by 1700+ rpm, it’s becoming noisy)

I’m still looking to fin true heir of my gentle typhoon but i’ve failed to find them yet.
Here is my current contender list :
  • Noctua new upcoming nf-a12 : well a lot to know about them...as they are not released
  • Fractal design hp-12 : motor is becoming noisy a bit too quickly
  • Ek vardar 2200 evo : well, only 50k hours lifespan, not confident about their noise level...but as great as gentle typhoon on pull position on radiator
  • Corsait ml pro 120 : not confident about motor noise. Blades are not fully optimised for radiator
Do you have any quality pwm 120 fans advices ?

Hyped on the new Noctua fans with their fancy new plastic material!
The Corsair ML fans cannot work on semi-passive mode (in PWM), which for me is a great con. But their noise/perfomance ratio seems to be great. (review from coolingtechnique)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
That’s a pretty close between gentle typhoon, vardar and hp-12..:)

In terms of noise, i would say gentle typhoon are a little bit ahead..however Vardar have a very good pwm management (dislike bequiet fans...:))

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Finally I click on order button for Dark side Gentle Typhoon 2150rpm. I trust their capabilities and noise. I'm counting on Corsair Commander mini to handle them properlly..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
After several weeks of testing, I experienced some stability issues, especially on Assassin's Creed Origins.

Ok ok, some crashes were linked to game itself, but it was patched and crashes frequency reduced drastically...however there were still some random crashes.
Due to the crash nature (game is closing), i suspected RAM instability.

Thus, I took the time to test my RAM using memtest64 (1 hour without error was my benchmark) that is really useful.
Indeed my RAM parameters were wrong, I got some ram errors quite quickly.

I tested several parameters (some failed after 50 min...:)) and I went to those final numbers :

At the end, I'm back to a stable 3200Mhz 14-14-14-14-34 but with lower subtimings.

I found these parameters OK for a fully stable setup.

It's like my 4.0Ghz OC I can run higher for benchmarking when required..:D

Reactions: TheHig and Phuncz

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 16th December 2017 : Best fan for watercooling arrived!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My precious arrived!!
Here they come : Dark Side Gentle Typhoon 2150rpm (DC control)...
I took a couple of minutes to put sleeve on them and i must say : I love them for their...
  • Look

• Noise, even at 2150rpm...and I'm a bit ashamed for Noctua PPC 2000 pwm...as for comparison, Noctua fan are really noisy!
  • Cooling efficiency : of course, these sweet gentle typhoon are the best on radiator (only EK vardar, Fractal HP12 are reaching this kind of level of performance but with higher noise level)
In final, they look marvellous inside my dear Cerberus-X!

When i see current fan market, I consider to be lucky as now fan needs to be RGB first, instead of aiming best performance/noise ratio.

I just hope they come back to true life in a way or another.

Last edited:

eutholevonik

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2016
I'm glad you like them!

I was a little disappointed sadly. I run them at ~25% and they are a bit noisy for my taste. In a certain rpm range that make an audible whine noise. Maybe I'm a noise freak idk :\

They preform well other then that. I have them on a pair of EK PE rads.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I'm glad you like them!

I was a little disappointed sadly. I run them at ~25% and they are a bit noisy for my taste. In a certain rpm range that make an audible whine noise. Maybe I'm a noise freak idk :\

They preform well other then that. I have them on a pair of EK PE rads.
Well, out 4, I tested them individually and select the best 3. Depending on models, you have some noise variation.
I experienced the same for all fans I had...after I got them @13$ each...so this type of selection is doable at that price...but when fan is at 30$..well, well...:)

I've also connected them individually to corsair link...as they behave differently on DC control.

Stephlearnstobuild

Cable Smoosher
Nov 26, 2017
Re the i/o shield pic on page 1, posted 5/15/17: the two holes in the middle and the square one at the top. Do they get closed somehow, or stay open. (If they stay open, wondering if I should get one of those little rubber grommets.)

Edit: I saw pics on the main website. Didnt know how to delete this post afterwards.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Re the i/o shield pic on page 1, posted 5/15/17: the two holes in the middle and the square one at the top. Do they get closed somehow, or stay open. (If they stay open, wondering if I should get one of those little rubber grommets.)

Edit: I saw pics on the main website. Didnt know how to delete this post afterwards.
On pre production units, these holes (for external watercooling) were opened.
On serial production, ki is putting some plug to close them

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Damnation, one of my noctua nf a12x15 is making a slight click-click...especially audible at low speed. I can’t barr parasite noise at low speed..:)

I’m a bit disappointed with noctua currently..:)

I might consider those fans : id cooling no 12015.

They look like cooler master xtraflo or silverstone sfx-l psu fan.

Moreover they could be good also for color theme.

What do you think? Do you have any slim 120/140 fan in mind? (Unfortunately prolimatech ultra sleek vortex are a bit nowhere to be found)

Stephlearnstobuild

Cable Smoosher
Nov 26, 2017
How's your Silverstone psu?

I considered the 700w one (sf700?) over the sx600 mostly for the efficiency, but I see bad reviews across the board for silverstone. 2-3/5. Many people have theirs stop working after 1-6 months.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
How's your Silverstone psu?

I considered the 700w one (sf700?) over the sx600 mostly for the efficiency, but I see bad reviews across the board for silverstone. 2-3/5. Many people have theirs stop working after 1-6 months.
Well, my sx800 lti is great...i’ve absolutely no complain against it..:) It’s especially good on noise (silent on idle and low on load..;))

sx700 lpt is good also. Only v1 had the issue of overheating is badly cooled case. Since v2, it’s working well.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Damnation, one of my noctua nf a12x15 is making a slight click-click...especially audible at low speed. I can’t barr parasite noise at low speed..:)

I’m a bit disappointed with noctua currently..:)

I might consider those fans : id cooling no 12015.

They look like cooler master xtraflo or silverstone sfx-l psu fan.

Moreover they could be good also for color theme.

What do you think? Do you have any slim 120/140 fan in mind? (Unfortunately prolimatech ultra sleek vortex are a bit nowhere to be found)
I’ve managed to rma faulty noctua nf-a12x15.
I will need to wait for a couple of weeks to receive it i guess. The only condition from Noctua is to take a picture of the faulty with cut blades..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I’ve managed to rma faulty noctua nf-a12x15.
I will need to wait for a couple of weeks to receive it i guess. The only condition from Noctua is to take a picture of the faulty with cut blades..:)
I received my replacement today..so Noctua customer service is great and fast!

Now my sweet Cerberus-x is back pretty quiet on idle and quiet while gaming..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Sorry but I have no real update on my setup...:)
Indeed, l’m completely satisfied with it, and I’m struggling to find any improvement..:)

There is potentially new Ryzen in 12nm or 7nm, and upcoming new gpu in 12nm/7nm...and even, I’m fully satisfied by the power of my setup..:)

Would you have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chann3l