Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABBA just arrived yesterday as Beta bios 0075 for Asus Crosshair VI Hero...and here are first boost values :

4.548Ghz..:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
More news about my sweet Cerberus-X setup.

Once again I've updated my storage devices.

After moving my second sata 1To nvme MX500 m.2 to Node 202, I decided to apply the following changes :
  • Move m.2 950 Pro 512Go from dedicated m.2 slot (pcie 4x 3.0 directly linked to CPU) to expansion card (pci 4x 2.0 linked to X370)
  • Install a m.2 2To Adata SX8200 Pro nvme (pcie 4x 3.0) to dedicated m.2 slot
I've chosen Adata as it's simply fastest implementation of SMI 2262EN controller so far. I'm aware about performances drops when disk is filled...but it's hurting mostly write performance, whereas I'll use mainly to load solo games.
First results "were" quite impressive versus my 860 evo drive. I managed to get noticeable improvements (like several seconds during game loading). I'll check also if read performance is dropping significantly while drive is loaded.

Also I'll look for m.2 heatsinks (I didn't like included heatsink with SX8200 pro)...even if all my m.2 are very very well cooled already (SX8200 Pro up to 67°C after 1To writing)..;)

Here are some photos & benchmarks :

950 Pro on dedicated m.2 (pcie 4x 3.0) :

950 Pro on expansion slot (pcie 4x 2.0) : I'm only losing some sequential read performance...nothing painful..;)

SX8200 Pro 2To : (empty)

SX8200 Pro 2To : (50% full)

I'll keep you informed.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Ahah Asus strikes back on instable Bios Releases..:)

Here is funny part :
  • Bios 0075 : (20/09/2019) : Beta bios with ABBA agesa...works fine and a charm
  • Bios 7501 : (23/09/2019) : Official bios with ABBA agesa...just unable to boot with my OC 4300 and 3800 on RAM
Mouahah...:D

• Sad
Reactions: rfarmer

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Just for the pleasure, here are my first steps in Star Citizen Alpha 3.7...at last RSI is becoming worth it..:)

Star Citizen is clearly one of the first games that demands SSD to work fine, as it's streaming data continously..:) Clearly HDD are not suitable for this game. I guess even sata SSD should be fine as its tight access time that are required

Reactions: Nanook and TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Nice! I’ll have to patch up and check it out. I tend to leave it alone for months at a time and pop in here and there to see what’s new.

Absolutely agree that an SSD is required.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Nice! I’ll have to patch up and check it out. I tend to leave it alone for months at a time and pop in here and there to see what’s new.

Absolutely agree that an SSD is required.
I’m doing the same...:)
Alpha 3.7 is pretty convincing

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Just for the pleasure, here are my first steps in Star Citizen Alpha 3.7...at last RSI is becoming worth it..:)

Star Citizen is clearly one of the first games that demands SSD to work fine, as it's streaming data continously..:) Clearly HDD are not suitable for this game. I guess even sata SSD should be fine as its tight access time that are required
Is this a good time to check it out? I’ve been keeping tabs on it here and there.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Is this a good time to check it out? I’ve been keeping tabs on it here and there.
Well I guess it's good timing to have a better look at Star Citizen...it's definitely playable properlly and some content to discover..;) (still need to learn how to land lol..;))

Reactions: Nanook

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
Got any more updates on that Node 202? Lately I've been using mine since it is the best for portability (not the smallest, but since it's cheap and the outside is a nice plastic, I throw it into my bags that things like that with little care). Just upgraded from a 7700T (using a Big Shuriken 2 + Noctua A12x15) to a R5-3600, using the Wraith Stealth. Supposedly the IDCooling IS-60 is the best AM4-supporting slim cooler... but I never thought to even try my L9x65!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Got any more updates on that Node 202? Lately I've been using mine since it is the best for portability (not the smallest, but since it's cheap and the outside is a nice plastic, I throw it into my bags that things like that with little care). Just upgraded from a 7700T (using a Big Shuriken 2 + Noctua A12x15) to a R5-3600, using the Wraith Stealth. Supposedly the IDCooling IS-60 is the best AM4-supporting slim cooler... but I never thought to even try my L9x65!
Well I replaced finally my node 202 to sliger sm550..:)
Main issue of my node 202 was ssd temperature in gpu compartment. Gpu noise and thermals was also an issue.

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
Well I replaced finally my node 202 to sliger sm550..:)
Main issue of my node 202 was ssd temperature in gpu compartment. Gpu noise and thermals was also an issue.

I switched to a Raijintek Morpheus II Core on a 1080FE. Using two Noctua A12x15, it is fairly quiet and runs nicely.

Reactions: KSliger

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I switched to a Raijintek Morpheus II Core on a 1080FE. Using two Noctua A12x15, it is fairly quiet and runs nicely.
By the way, 1080FE was pretty noisy on load..;)

What amazed me the most on SM550 is how my GPU (MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X) has reached its maximum cooling/efficiency in this case. Even fully loaded (190W), uncapped framerate, it's barely audible and it's reaching only 71°C.

Reactions: KSliger

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sliger SM550 Thermals & Noise : Trial by Fire! (10th December 2019)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sliger SM550 Benchmark time has come! (link above)
I simply compared SM550 vs Cerberus-X with exactly same 300W GPU, overclocked/overvolted MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X!

GPU Comparison will be mainly on Gears 5!

Enjoy!

Reactions: TheHig

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
SM550+ : Switching to Ryzen 7 1700X & CPU Air Cooler (IS-60) (29th December 2019)
SM550+ is meeting ID Cooling IS-60 with great success (entering in silent world..:))!

Cats are still hard to convince to move away from Cerberus-X :

Reactions: AMv8-1day

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Testing Asetek 645LT & Corsair SF600

As you have noticed I'm currently playing a lot with my Sliger SM550+. In order to complete my SM550+ with proper PSU I've replaced Corsair SF450 by SX800-LTI (picked from my Cerberus-X).

Now it's time to rework my Cerberus-X and start thinking of its new life.

Thus I've decided to test Asetek 645LT (92mm AIO) inside Cerberus-X. For me it's a great choice for CPU cooler in Cerberus-X as it has access to fresh air and doesn't harm GPU temperature at all (like a 240mm radiator at bottom).
I also wanted to test again my SF600 Gold in optimised airflow to see if there is any good coming from those Corsair SF PSUs.

1st step : remove PSU and Noctua C14S :

Cerberus-X seems empty!..:D

I first tried typical setup with NF A09-14 alone :

I also tested with Noctua NF-09x25 (using 6-32 screws of 30mm) in addition :

As you can see there are scratches on radiator. Side bracket, while rotation to position is touching radiator...nothing too serious fortunately.

I placed top fan (NF-A12x15) as intake and side fan (NF-A12x25) as exhaust.

Here is final result (without side fan in place) :

Now it's time of benchmark...and results are quite good in terms of performance :

My R7 3800X OC 4.3Ghz all cores (1.31v) is reaching 81.8°C in Intel Burn Test 2.54 with NF-A9s reaching 1700/2300 rpm (their max speeds are 2000/2500rpm).
Asetek 645LT is beating my setup with Noctua C14S placed in full exhaust mode (mode that focus on best performance/temperature of GPU over CPU).

I won't insist again on Corsair SF with its fake fanless mode...well yes I will insist. SF600 never came back to fanless mode after cpu burn test (30min of rest)...pfff. At least my SF600 does not suffer of parasite noise..but it's so noisy under load...it's louder than my GTX 1080ti...

In conclusion, Asetek 645LT is really suited to Cerberus-X case as it can access fresh air (providing its best performance) without increasing GPU temperature/noise. Outperformancing Noctua C14S in Cerberus-X is also great achievement!

@KSliger & @shadowfear don't hesitate to promote Asetek 645LT for Cerberus owner's club..:D

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Small updates :
  • Replacement of horrible Corsair fan inside SF600 by Noctua NF-A9x14 (welcome back to quietness)
  • Removal of side bracket as it was actually interfering to side panel closure
  • Change top fan orientation to exhaust (as I removed side fan)