SM580 140mm AIO advise (CPU 3700x)

Molotov

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 15, 2020
Hi there,
I'm awaiting delivery of my SM580 and in the meantime picking up the last few components I need to get. I'd purchased the case windowed on both sides + a vented side panel just in case.
My original plan was to put in NZXT X/Z63 280mm in the top for CPU and get a trifan GPU (2070s or 2080s) with both side panels windowed.
I have since come across a very well priced EVGA 2080s Hybrid and am now considering going to 140mm AIO for CPU (3700x) + 120mm from the GPU.

Given that I do want to keep the system as quiet as possible and prefer to keep the windows:
Would it be worth investing in a 140mm AIO for CPU ?
Since the GPU will now be AIO, could I just get away with the stock wraith cooler ?

Thanks !

1Hombre

Cable Smoosher
Apr 26, 2020
Molotov, you have a lot going on there, but let me give you my thoughts. Full disclosure -- I'm a novice at all this. I have built in the SM580 but it's only my second build (first build was in an NZXT 510 Elite). I have the following components in my SM580: ROG Strix X-570-I Gaming; Ryzen 9 3900X; Kraken Z63; Corsair SF750; Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Super Strix Gaming Advanced; Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB x 2. Because I worried about thermals and noise. I switched the AIO stock fans to Noctua NF-A14 PWM Chromax Black 140 mm fans and added two more at the bottom. All my fans are set to exhaust which pulls fresh air in from both sides of my vented case (no windowed side panels). I am very happy with the sound and temps. Even though the PSU stock cables will fit, I later bought shorter custom cables from Cablemod (used 10% off coupon in PSU box) because I was not happy with the cable management of the stock cables (very burdensome to cram in and satisfy my OCD). Also, the extra-long stock cables were impeding exhaust airflow in lower fans. Another unanticipated problem is that NZXT's CAM software will not recognize the Z63. It's a compatibility issue with the Asus Strix X570 motherboard and Kraken that NZXT has acknowledged. I don't know for sure, but I don't believe the problem exists with the X62. NZXT's workaround is to provide a free five-port USB 2.0 internal USB Hub ($20+ cost) to bypass plugging the Z63 into the USB 2.0 header on the motherboard. I received the free HUB, however, good luck trying to find a place for the USB HUB and the associated connection. You can probably buy a smaller unit that fits, but I think it's ridiculous to pay $234 USD (at the time) for an AIO that does not plug and play. I'm telling you all this because although I really like the case and my finished build (minus the non-programmable Kraken), I found space to be at a premium and while I am not saying that it won't fit, I think it will be equally challenging to try to fit two 140 mm AIOs. Also, I'm glad that you have at least one vented side panel. I think you are going to at least need one vented side panel even if you go with the two 140 mm AIOs. Finally, since you mention wraith cooler, I'm thinking you are going with a Ryzen 9 3900X. If so, I don't believe the wraith will be up to the challenge in the confined spaces of the SM580. Just my thoughts. Please let me know what you decide and how the build turns out. Good Luck.

1Hombre

Cable Smoosher
Apr 26, 2020
Molotov, my apologies. I absolutely missed your reference to the 3700X CPU. Please disregard my sentence regarding the 3900X.

Molotov

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 15, 2020
Hey bud ! Thank you so much for your input - one build or not you’ve shed some light on a few very important points and I really appreciate you raising them - I’ll definitely keep this all in mind !

Reactions: 1Hombre