Slim case mini-ITX, 4.6GHz 7700K, low noise emissions: possible?

amundsen

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Hello,

I intend to build a mini-ITX computer slim enough to be put inside a suitcase (meaning a thickness between 10 and 15cm, max. 17cm). I want an 7700K CPU overclocked to at least 4.6GHz while keeping noise emissions low (this setup will be dedicated to music). Transportation in the suitcase probably means also the exclusion of an acrylic case.

I don’t need a powerful GPU. If there’s enough room I could go with a fanless model or even go with the Intel Integrated Graphics if it’s mandatory to keep the inside of the box at low temperatures.

I’ll probably invest in a delidded CPU to lower the temperatures too.

Which case-cooling combination would you recommend? Please do also note it will be my first build.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
7700k: checked;
overclock: checked;
backpack friendly: checked;
low noise: checked;
low temps: checked!

If you manage to build suck a wonderful case, let me know. I'm also interested in this tech miracle.

Reactions: Choidebu

APSinc

Chassis Packer
Jul 30, 2018
Aside from maybe an HTPC case from Silverstone, I don't think you're going to find something like that as a prebuilt.

I was thinking about making my own case in kind of a slightly thicker (more height to support an ATX PSU) version of the Cryorig Taku (without the drawer or function as a monitor stand) out of some MDF or plywood. Honestly that's probably going to be your best bet (making your own case, that is).

I assume that you are going to be aircooling it since transport in a suitcase suggests you want to take it on a plane and you can't bring an AIO radiator through TSA security at the airport (too much liquid).

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Given a desired thickness between 10-15cm and no dedicated graphics this sounds very doable to me. You'll want the CPU delidded. What about the other case dimensions?

What do you think of the Silverstone ML05, ML06, ML09? They are all about 7 Liters and may fit your size requirements, and look to have support for up to ~70mm CPU cooler if you don't use the brackets above the CPU. Should allow enough heatsink to do some overclocking if delidded.

ML09
https://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=653&area=en

fboost

Efficiency Noob
May 15, 2018
I have a 6700K delidded and cooled by a Rajintek Pallas with a Noctua 140mm fan. While the noise level is very quiet under normal load or gaming it can still get loud when stressed. How much stress does the software put on the CPU and how quiet does it have to be? A Scythe Ninja 5 or similar sized Noctua NH-D15S it would be much quieter under heavy load and even the second fan helps to lower the noise.
[edit]
Maybe you could use a Dan Case A4 and use the graphic card space for a beQuiet Silentloop 240 or 280, or a similar quiet AIO water cooler.

Last edited:

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
I have a 6700K delidded and cooled by a Rajintek Pallas with a Noctua 140mm fan. While the noise level is very quiet under normal load or gaming it can still get loud when stressed. How much stress does the software put on the CPU and how quiet does it have to be? A Scythe Ninja 5 or similar sized Noctua NH-D15S it would be much quieter under heavy load and even the second fan helps to lower the noise.
[edit]
Maybe you could use a Dan Case A4 and use the graphic card space for a beQuiet Silentloop 240 or 280, or a similar quiet AIO water cooler.
I think you just need to fine-tune your fan curve. I'm using the Pallas with an NF-P14 on a 6700k not delidded, though undervolted a bit at 4.3GHz 1.15v. It never makes noise; I have it set to max out at 580rpm. Even with AVX prime 95, it only hits the low 90's. Otherwise even video encoding only puts it in the mid 70s with gaming in The 50s. The Pallas can handle around 100W close to passively, and 150W with its fan all the way up. The 6700k doesn't even come close to that without heavy overclocking.