Production Sliger SV590 and SV540 - Vertical SFF Cases!

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
I'm not your buddy, pal ?

Assume a length of 230mm. I could make a rough estimate, but I don't know the overall length between the I/O sheet where the Mobo/GPU mount and the bottom of the case.

I'm not your pal, mate! ? If nobody answers you before mine arrives, I'll send you some measurements.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Update: They are shipping, mine just arrived, and the classic black paint isn't as satin-smooth as the original/review press shots of the SV590 but holy crap is it a high quality paint job.

First difficulty: The EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 is the tallest card I've ever used and the EK waterblock makes it about 3mm too tall to fit. I resolved this by removing the (i hope it's just) decorative shroud over the block. With that, it sandwiches in nicely and won't be going anywhere.

(edit) Second difficulty: the EK 360 Coolstream PE radiator combined with standard sized fans does not allow the top to close: it collides with the motherboard. I am going to find a way to attach my fans out the back of the case, necessarily requiring it to be the last components I install.

Last edited:

giro21

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 27, 2020
Here is another reservoir which fits just fine with ultitop d5. I am pretty disappointed by optimum techs review - he did not even go full
custom loop - putting an aio in this case is like driving ferrari with cooking oil...

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Here is another reservoir which fits just fine with ultitop d5. I am pretty disappointed by optimum techs review - he did not even go full
custom loop - putting an aio in this case is like driving ferrari with cooking oil...

You may have fixed this already, but you've got a fan extension in the blades of the fan.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
I went with a Phanteks R160 res and pump-top and combined it with a Liang DDC pump:
Forgive the1bubbles. I took the photos while still purging the loop. If anyone wants the STL for the stand I 3D printed for that pump/reservoir, let me know.

Deathrow

Caliper Novice
Apr 3, 2020
I was hyped for the sv590, but after the review not so much, also the price. I liked the idea, but didn't like the dead space at the top where the cables come out.
My thoughts on it, have the rad as the front of the case with a vented cover, have the motherboard at the bottom of the case with the io facing out back (not sure if gpu riser cables could flex/bend to the upright position of the gpu).
That just my thoughts on it. I've always liked an idea of have a case that is just high enough to run a 360mm rad with everything esle packed behind it.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I was hyped for the sv590, but after the review not so much, also the price. I liked the idea, but didn't like the dead space at the top where the cables come out.
My thoughts on it, have the rad as the front of the case with a vented cover, have the motherboard at the bottom of the case with the io facing out back (not sure if gpu riser cables could flex/bend to the upright position of the gpu).
That just my thoughts on it. I've always liked an idea of have a case that is just high enough to run a 360mm rad with everything esle packed behind it.
That would still leave you with the GPU IO on the top, so now you have some IO on the back and some on the top, and still need the top cover unless you want a thick display cable sticking out of the top of your case. IMO that's a worse solution.

Deathrow

Caliper Novice
Apr 3, 2020
That would still leave you with the GPU IO on the top, so now you have some IO on the back and some on the top, and still need the top cover unless you want a thick display cable sticking out of the top of your case. IMO that's a worse solution.
You would spin the gpu around so the io was facing down and have it raised off the bottom of the case so you can plug your cables in. but as i said not sure if you can get a riser cable to flex that way.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
You would spin the gpu around so the io was facing down and have it raised off the bottom of the case so you can plug your cables in. but as i said not sure if you can get a riser cable to flex that way.
But doesn't that also shift the dead space from the top to the bottom?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
But doesn't that also shift the dead space from the top to the bottom?
Exactly. Though with bottom I/O you're also shifting the center of gravity up, making the case less stable while making accessing the I/O far more difficult (you have to tilt the case over or lay it flat rather than remove a cover). You're also more dependent on angled connectors as the connector length restriction is bound to be more absolute.

It shouldn't be a problem getting a riser to bend that way, it just needs to be long enough for the required folds and a relatively flexible design. But the other drawbacks are far more serious.

Deathrow

Caliper Novice
Apr 3, 2020
Exactly. Though with bottom I/O you're also shifting the center of gravity up, making the case less stable while making accessing the I/O far more difficult (you have to tilt the case over or lay it flat rather than remove a cover). You're also more dependent on angled connectors as the connector length restriction is bound to be more absolute.

It shouldn't be a problem getting a riser to bend that way, it just needs to be long enough for the required folds and a relatively flexible design. But the other drawbacks are far more serious.
the only dead space would b the gpu side unless theres a way to extend the gpu outputs to the back of case. The MB IO would be facing out the back like a traditional case not down, so the mb would be right at the bottom. Mount the psu just above the mb, the centre of gravity wouldn't change much.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
the only dead space would b the gpu side unless theres a way to extend the gpu outputs to the back of case. The MB IO would be facing out the back like a traditional case not down, so the mb would be right at the bottom. Mount the psu just above the mb, the centre of gravity wouldn't change much.
Given that video cables generally have the biggest connectors on a PC (displayport in particular, but also HDMI) that point is moot - the motherboard I/O not being there doesn't change the need for cable clearance below the case. And extending it to the rear always is a mess - either you implement a fixed set of extensions, limiting compatibility with GPUs with varying I/O, or you make some sort of modular system which both increases cost (requires more bundled extensions for compatibility) and complexity (requires a system for attaching and removing the rear connectors). As for the centre of gravity not moving much, that doesn't mean that it won't move, and any upwards shift for a case with a rectangular base will increase instability (a square base like the NZXT H1 is inherently more stable). Besides, the PSU is likely the single densest component in the PC, so moving it above the motherboard constitutes a major shift in the centre of gravity no matter what.

There are absolutely arguments for doing it this way, but there are IMO better arguments for not doing so. Top I/O is overall a good compromise.

Reactions: DrHudacris

Deathrow

Caliper Novice
Apr 3, 2020
Given that video cables generally have the biggest connectors on a PC (displayport in particular, but also HDMI) that point is moot - the motherboard I/O not being there doesn't change the need for cable clearance below the case. And extending it to the rear always is a mess - either you implement a fixed set of extensions, limiting compatibility with GPUs with varying I/O, or you make some sort of modular system which both increases cost (requires more bundled extensions for compatibility) and complexity (requires a system for attaching and removing the rear connectors). As for the centre of gravity not moving much, that doesn't mean that it won't move, and any upwards shift for a case with a rectangular base will increase instability (a square base like the NZXT H1 is inherently more stable). Besides, the PSU is likely the single densest component in the PC, so moving it above the motherboard constitutes a major shift in the centre of gravity no matter what.

There are absolutely arguments for doing it this way, but there are IMO better arguments for not doing so. Top I/O is overall a good compromise.
I saw a early render of the case and it had the cable management gap at the bottom and the case didn't seem so tall..

giro21

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 27, 2020
I find the "dead space" in the top actually useful. I use for other stuff like an audio DAC, which otherwise would lie somewhere on my desk. Also getting a custom baseplate from my university workshop for free soon :)