Production Sliger SV590 and SV540 - Vertical SFF Cases!

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Would the SV540 having ATX PSU support be of interest to anyone?

Almost nothing out there in the premium SFF case market with ATX support except the M1 / Cerberus.

ATX support would bump the CPU cooler height up to 75mm as well, but still be limited to 2-slot GPUs but in sandwich layout.

Thought is that having ATX support and taller CPU coolers would make this a good gateway case to SFF as you could downsize a very large case without buying a new PSU too.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019

Almost nothing out there in the premium SFF case market with ATX support except the M1 / Cerberus.

ATX support would bump the CPU cooler height up to 75mm as well, but still be limited to 2-slot GPUs but in sandwich layout.

Thought is that having ATX support and taller CPU coolers would make this a good gateway case to SFF as you could downsize a very large case without buying a new PSU too.
Not sure that a premium, but also gateway system makes sense? My gateway was the SG13, which was because it was really cheap. Also, it supported ATX PSUs.

Reactions: chyll2

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
While ATX compatibility is appreciated, sacrificing 3slot compatibility is imo, no (2.5 slot compatibility might be a good compromise). I also agree that going 75 from 70 won't add much.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017

SFX PSUs are pretty ubiquitous these days, and with the platinum ratings and higher load ratings every year, I kind of feel like its a non starter for a premium case. I think if people are just starting to dip their toes into SFF and want to do it on the cheap, its hard to compete with the QBX for ~$50 if you want ATX PSU compatibility.

I also agree with aki and chyll2, I don't think 75mm on the CPU goes you all that many more options over 70mm.

While I'm content with a 2-slot option, it definitely isn't a deal breaker for me to bump it up to 2.5 or 3 if that's what the majority of people see as their optimal use case.

butter_milch

Chassis Packer
Jun 20, 2019
The SV540 concept is easily my favourite case design in a long time if not ever.

Some questions:
1. will the SV540 be flippable, too? I disliked how the Phanteks Shift handled things with the cables coming out the top and having to be routed to the bottom
2. is there room currently for 2x120mm fans?

My personal needs, wants and preferences for a case for perspective:
1. at least 2x120mm fans for a negative pressure build
2. support for full length GPU (>270mm) with at least 2 slots
3. support for 50mm CPU coolers (thinking of the Alpenföhn Black Ridge)
4. no front IO (less cables)
5. no storage other than M.2 SSDs (less cables)

What I love especially about this design:
1. being able to hide the IO with the cables coming out at the back is great
2. very little wasted space

What I'd like to see (or at least see tested):
1. moving the SSDs from the to the side of the PSU or beneath the GPU - what would be the cost to max. CPU cooler height and max. GPU length in this case?
2. a more breathable front and top/bottom, open it up a bit - I love the breathability of the SM550/560 with vented side panels
3. support for 3 slot cards with a bifurication riser. This would make room for not only 3 slot cards but additional space for M.2 SSDs

Regarding your request for feedback:
1. I see no reason to support ATX PSUs since there are enough SFX PSUs to choose from and they'll be able to handle anything you can fit into this case
2. I'd love the option of having the power button at the back making for an even cleaner look. Because of its form I'd think it'll still be easy to reach
3. An optional handle would be great

Reactions: pwnedundies

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
While ATX compatibility is appreciated, sacrificing 3slot compatibility is imo, no (2.5 slot compatibility might be a good compromise). I also agree that going 75 from 70 won't add much.

I would take the 3 slot GPU over an ATX power supply all day. And I don't think 75mm over 70mm is going to be a large difference.

I will bump this up to 3-slot, SM560 outsells the 550 anyhow.

Some questions:
1. will the SV540 be flippable, too? I disliked how the Phanteks Shift handled things with the cables coming out the top and having to be routed to the bottom
2. is there room currently for 2x120mm fans?

Flipping it causes some problems. The empty cable plenum at bottom and PSU at the top basically puts the center of mass way high when flipped, and I would have to make the base plate much bigger to not risk the case tipping over with a small bump. Where as with PSU at bottom and empty cable plenum at top you don't even need the base plate. I ditched flipping the SV590 because of the weight distribution.

Having cables come out the top makes it a lot easier to plug things in as well. Top panel is on ball studs, pops off for easy access. Having to flip the case over to plug in a thumb drive would be a big negative vs managing cables down the back.

My personal needs, wants and preferences for a case for perspective:
1. at least 2x120mm fans for a negative pressure build
2. support for full length GPU (>270mm) with at least 2 slots
3. support for 50mm CPU coolers (thinking of the Alpenföhn Black Ridge)
4. no front IO (less cables)
5. no storage other than M.2 SSDs (less cables)

Sounds like the SM550 just with less storage. =P

That's the dilemma I keep running into with this is how to differentiate it from the SM550/SM560, A4, Loque Ghost other than that it is vertical. SV590 has 360mm AIO support, so it's solid. But this has... nothing unique to offer other than the orientation/style?

Other than the product overlap I am 100% in agreement with these ideas.

What I'd like to see (or at least see tested):
1. moving the SSDs from the to the side of the PSU or beneath the GPU - what would be the cost to max. CPU cooler height and max. GPU length in this case?
2. a more breathable front and top/bottom, open it up a bit - I love the breathability of the SM550/560 with vented side panels
3. support for 3 slot cards with a bifurication riser. This would make room for not only 3 slot cards but additional space for M.2 SSDs

The SSD are only there because of the 70mm CPU cooler height. If I made it 55mm like the SM550 there would be no room for SSDs. GPU length is 330mm, plan was to have some SSD or HDD mounting down there as the SV590 does.

Most of the holes are clustered around where you would want the intake to be vs the shotgun holes all over approach. Trying to keep it more minimalist. Vented top might be an option though.

Regarding your request for feedback:
1. I see no reason to support ATX PSUs since there are enough SFX PSUs to choose from and they'll be able to handle anything you can fit into this case
2. I'd love the option of having the power button at the back making for an even cleaner look. Because of its form I'd think it'll still be easy to reach
3. An optional handle would be great

1. See below

2. This would certainly make things easier to build. I'll look into what works for this.

3. This will take some thinking, removable top and the cable plenum doesn't offer a lot of material/strength to build a handle into. Might have to be on the backside.

SFX PSUs are pretty ubiquitous these days, and with the platinum ratings and higher load ratings every year, I kind of feel like its a non starter for a premium case. I think if people are just starting to dip their toes into SFF and want to do it on the cheap, its hard to compete with the QBX for ~$50 if you want ATX PSU compatibility.

I also agree with aki and chyll2, I don't think 75mm on the CPU goes you all that many more options over 70mm.

While I'm content with a 2-slot option, it definitely isn't a deal breaker for me to bump it up to 2.5 or 3 if that's what the majority of people see as their optimal use case.

It's not so much the availability of SFX PSUs or what they can handle, and I understand ATX is antithesis to SFF, but it's that the size of this case is so close to where ATX fits. 5mm on width is nothing (does not change depth or height) and it opens up consideration to a lot of potential builds.

I stalk r/buildapcforme a lot, and tons of people who look into going SFF have an ITX board, CPU, RAM, etc. and can buy the $200 case / $50 CPU cooler, but when they learn they also need a SFX PSU that is going to set them back another $140 to $190 it's a tough sell. Particularly when they already have a good quality ATX PSU they got for $100 a year ago.

This is where a lot of people wind up changing their priorities and buying bloated cheaper cases like Cougar QBX, Nano S, H200, etc.

Other thing to consider is that the smallest case that can do a 3-slot GPU and an ATX PSU is... an SG10 at 23L? Inwin 301 at 25L? Define Mini C at 33L?

I think 3-slot GPU, 75mm CPU cooler, ATX PSU, and 2x 140mm fan at ~14L wouldn't be a bad offering. It's a little bigger than I'd like it to be, still smaller than the Ophoin with bigger GPU support, but it isn't completely overlapping all the other existing SFF cases. Plus it offers a style larger cases don't.

Nugget

Trash Compacter
Mar 9, 2019
I know this was mentioned a little back, but I couldn't resist asking for some elaboration on a vertical M1 layout. Right now I'm trying my best to decide between the other SM550/SM560 cases and an M1. The larger cooler support for the M1 is super tempting - no need to worry about water cooling with that availability. A vertical M1 case would be an absolute dream come true, and I can't imagine it not being popular.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I know this was mentioned a little back, but I couldn't resist asking for some elaboration on a vertical M1 layout. Right now I'm trying my best to decide between the other SM550/SM560 cases and an M1. The larger cooler support for the M1 is super tempting - no need to worry about water cooling with that availability. A vertical M1 case would be an absolute dream come true, and I can't imagine it not being popular.

I'll whip up a concept of the standard layout in the next few weeks and compare it to the riser based version, will take a poll here and on r/SFFPC.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
It's not so much the availability of SFX PSUs or what they can handle, and I understand ATX is antithesis to SFF, but it's that the size of this case is so close to where ATX fits. 5mm on width is nothing (does not change depth or height) and it opens up consideration to a lot of potential builds.

I stalk r/buildapcforme a lot, and tons of people who look into going SFF have an ITX board, CPU, RAM, etc. and can buy the $200 case / $50 CPU cooler, but when they learn they also need a SFX PSU that is going to set them back another $140 to $190 it's a tough sell. Particularly when they already have a good quality ATX PSU they got for $100 a year ago.

This is where a lot of people wind up changing their priorities and buying bloated cheaper cases like Cougar QBX, Nano S, H200, etc.

Other thing to consider is that the smallest case that can do a 3-slot GPU and an ATX PSU is... an SG10 at 23L? Inwin 301 at 25L? Define Mini C at 33L?

I think 3-slot GPU, 75mm CPU cooler, ATX PSU, and 2x 140mm fan at ~14L wouldn't be a bad offering. It's a little bigger than I'd like it to be, still smaller than the Ophoin with bigger GPU support, but it isn't completely overlapping all the other existing SFF cases. Plus it offers a style larger cases don't.

I suppose as a manufacturer looking for an untapped product niche, that makes a lot of sense. I suppose the way I was looking at it was if they are doing a new build, and the $30-40 premium of the SFX PSU was giving them budget problems, than in the comparison between a $150-200 case or a $50-70 option (QBX/Nano-S), the latter is probably more inline with their price point.

The vertical orientation is already saving a lot of of desk/entertainment center surface area, and if its only a few more mm, it definitely isn't a deal breaker for my use case. Heck, I might even get an SFX-L/SGX with a 120mm fan to reduce the noise that much more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sashby and KSliger

rapidshrub

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
I'll whip up a concept of the standard layout in the next few weeks and compare it to the riser based version, will take a poll here and on r/SFFPC.

The extra 5mm for ATX PSU support is negligible and I'll always welcome more space for a graphics card. The footprint is already way smaller than most other cases out there so I have no problem making the case a little larger. I'm very interested to see the difference in footprint between a traditional layout and the "expanded" SV540.

Since you seem to be trying to avoid product overlap I'd shoot for hardware compatibility over minimal volume at this point since the Velka 5/7 accomplish that... I do think there's room in this space for similar cases but the market for vertical cases is so underserved that I'd like to see some more variety first.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Got a prototype made of the SV590 - it's a whopper!

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
is it a real thing or a render? also is it bare aluminum or painted white?

It's real, I agree it looks like a render too. It's aluminum in the standard matte black / matte white we do. I have a few unique finishes for these in process, grained aluminum with mac book texture, and raw steel with clear coat.

Will get some more pictures up soon.

Hue

Case Bender
Aug 26, 2018
ATX PSU support is a great idea. I have an H200. I am using an ATX power supply.
When choosing a case, the additional $100 of premium SFX PSU is a big budget.
I don't want the smallest case, but I want the case small enough not to narrow the options.
It's similar to wanting 3 slots, even with 2 slot 2080 products.
Even with some great SFX PSU products, it's good to be able to choose ATX PSU.

I will buy an SFX power supply in the future, but now I want to use my ATX power supply.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I know it is actually not that big, but damn it looks massive next to the SM550. Oh btw the rust patina looks really cool.

Reactions: Nanook