Production Sliger SV590 and SV540 - Vertical SFF Cases!

Link1712

Chassis Packer
May 29, 2018
While I should be upfront and say the chances of me ever buying one of these is minimal, I really like the concept. Having space for the 360mm radiator makes this a great candidate for a fully water cooled custom loop setup in a very small footprint/volume - cooling both a CPU and GPU from a single 240mm rad is ... functional, but a 360 is a lot better suited to a setup like that. Looking at your renders there might even be room for a small pump/res combo at the top above the GPU, without having to resort to exotic PSU options or other means of eking out extra space. I like it!
Trust me, cooling both gpu and cpu with a 240mm rad is more than enough.
I tested it with an Overclocked i7 8086K @5GHz and an Overclocked GTX 1080 Ti @2050MGhz cooled by an 140mm Monsta Rad and it was all good with both stressed to the maximum with Aida 64. So a 240mm Rad should do even better.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Trust me, cooling both gpu and cpu with a 240mm rad is more than enough.
I tested it with an Overclocked i7 8086K @5GHz and an Overclocked GTX 1080 Ti @2050MGhz cooled by an 140mm Monsta Rad and it was all good with both stressed to the maximum with Aida 64. So a 240mm Rad should do even better.
That's an 86mm thick radiator, not exactly comparable to your run-of-the-mill 29-40mm thick rads, eh? Given fans with enough static pressure it's more like a 280mm in terms of cooling capacity (as double the thickness = double the surface area to dissipate heat).

I cool my Ryzen 5 1600X and Fury X off a 240mm (EK Coolstream PE, 38mm) + 120mm (old, used rad, can't remember the brand, around 30mm) loop, and temperatures are ... fine. Mind you, I don't run my fans very high (the 240 has BeQuiet Silent Wings 3s on it, set to hit 100% speed at 50 degrees C on the GPU, while the faster Gentle Typhoon on the 120mm ramps a bit more slowly), but they definitely could be pushed more. The GPU does very well (usually in the 50s while gaming), and while the CPU does run a bit hot, that's likely due to the Biostar motherboard overdoing the voltages quite a bit (HWMonitor regularly records voltages above 1.4V). Still, that's just a stock-clocked 95W CPU. Stick a 9900K in there with its 180-ish watts (or more if you push it a bit) and my setup would definitely be struggling to keep water temps acceptable. Not to mention an overclocked 2080Ti or similar. I'm not in the "water temps above 40C are unacceptable!" camp, but it's still a good idea to keep your loop at reasonable temperatures if you want to minimize the need for maintenance. I definitely wouldn't ditch my 120mm rad if I had a choice - a setup like that would likely work, but it wouldn't be very good.

Tl;dr: a 360mm leaves you room for slower fans while still maintaining okay water temperatures.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I feel like we have very similar principles on case design Sliger, cos I always end up wanting to buy every case you show off here haha

I actually scribbled down a similar concept to this one time, although I think it was flipped with top routing cables and was designed to take 2 x 360mm radiators, but I think your design makes much more sense... Which makes sense since you do this for a living XD

It's niche, and I don't know if 360mm AIO's offer that much more potential cooling over a 280mm AIO and the potential cooling the SM580 offers since it's also got the benefit of bottom mounted fans aiding the radiator's fans.
I would say a double 240/280mm radiator support would be better but I get the point here is for AIO support to cool a high powered work station level CPU with a single 360mm AIO cooler without requiring a custom loop, so I won't say that.

The only thing that niggles me, is there aren't really ITX based systems that require a 360mm radiator.
That's more like Threadripper and X299 and there's only a single ITX board between both of those platforms - I know you have Cerberus, but would there be ways to incorporate M-ATX into this type of sandwich tower design? Without essentially just making a MachOne I spose...

IgnoranceIsTheEnemy

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 15, 2019
Very interested in this. I appreciate its probably got the least demand out of all of the cases KSliger is putting out at the moment, but is there a rough eta on this?

Also, I saw the bottom, with that raised pedestal base, and immediately thought it would be an excellent place to put one of these for a custom loop, assuming the dimensions fit:

https://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-...lphacool-eisdecke-dc-lt-dual-plexi-top?c=2718

Skullassfreak

Cable Smoosher
Apr 19, 2019
Will this have TG panels as an option? Also are there mounting points for a 3.5" drive and a DDC/D5 pump? Really considering this to replace my Evolv shift

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Will this have TG panels as an option? Also are there mounting points for a 3.5" drive and a DDC/D5 pump? Really considering this to replace my Evolv shift

Unfortunately will be nothing for window panels on this case, will only be one set of panels with vents as shown in renders.

We just cannot get good pricing on glass in the US anywhere we tried. Even with an order of 2,000 glass panels they wanted $50 a piece. Was like an f-off type quote.

Very interested in this. I appreciate its probably got the least demand out of all of the cases KSliger is putting out at the moment, but is there a rough eta on this?

Also, I saw the bottom, with that raised pedestal base, and immediately thought it would be an excellent place to put one of these for a custom loop, assuming the dimensions fit:

https://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-...lphacool-eisdecke-dc-lt-dual-plexi-top?c=2718

This case is likely to be a July/August type deal at best.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
@KSliger What thickness of radiator is shown in the render? Also, are there any plans to include brackets/mounting holes for pump/res combos? I was thinking that a 360mm should be more than enough to cool both the CPU and GPU assuming that you can get distribution hardware of the custom loop to fit. Any chance you could do a drawing with some dimensions like the SM series when you have some free time?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Was thinking the same thing regarding pump mounting for custom loops.

Would you be able to mount a DDC or Pump res above the PSU?

Also would there be options for PSU orientation?
I would have thought orienting the PSU on its side would make more sense since all SFX PSU's are the same width but vary in length and you could just run the pass through up the inside of the front panel?

anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Jun 23, 2018
@KSliger Do you have a height estimation on the sv 590?
I am building a home office and will install some cabinets above the desk.
Thanks in advance!

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger Do you have a height estimation on the sv 590?
I am building a home office and will install some cabinets above the desk.
Thanks in advance!

It will be 19" tall!

@KSliger What thickness of radiator is shown in the render? Also, are there any plans to include brackets/mounting holes for pump/res combos? I was thinking that a 360mm should be more than enough to cool both the CPU and GPU assuming that you can get distribution hardware of the custom loop to fit. Any chance you could do a drawing with some dimensions like the SM series when you have some free time?

Let me get closer to the final design and I will be happy to do this!

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2019
There is an air cooled version! Same as the SM560 3slot GPU case, but is around 10.8L. Called SV560 - will post it later in this thread once I get a nice exterior figured out for both that and the 360mm version.

Man, I just recently found you on Reddit and I'm honestly amazed at how involved you are with the community; props. We actually talked on Reddit on a similar subject, just needed to join and keep posted on the rest of the development. I also have a question.

I'm intrigued in the SV560 for the same reasons I'm interested in the SM560, and will certainly pick up one of the two. My main draw is the support for three slot GPU and a relatively small footprint of the SM560/SV560 at 11L/10.8L respectively. However I'd really like to know if you can give me an idea as to the air cooler height limit on the SV560. I understand that making it too big would throw some problems into the design, but the 55mm limit on the SM560 is honestly the only reason I didn't buy it already. After all I want to be able to cool some of the upcoming powerful cpu to be released; something about a lot of power in a small package.

P.S. Ideally [though possibly unlikely] a max heatsink height [though in this upright design its probably width?] of 125mm would allow the use of the Noctua NH-U9S which can be fitted to take two of their 92xmm92mmx25mm fans without increasing the height. This would certainly put the case in a place of its own. It would have it be just 5mm less than the Ncase M1, but with a design that may lend itself better for airflow and satisfy unmet needs. More importantly it would allow the use of more power hungry chips to folk that would rather not deal with AIOs.

On a side note, a friend has the Shift from Phanteks, which suffers thermally despite having some pretty good cooling and components. Do you know what in this design [SV560] could make it easier to maintain better temperatures than on the Shift? The overall shape is similar so I'm sure you have drawn some form of comparison and tried to improve on it. Thanks again!

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
This is a sandwich design. You are looking at 190-200mm width to accommodate three slot and 125mm cooler.

If you need more cooling, go to the version that accept water cooling.

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2019
This is a sandwich design. You are looking at 190-200mm width to accommodate three slot and 125mm cooler.

If you need more cooling, go to the version that accept water cooling.

Yea, I can see what you mean. Is there any appreciable increase from the 55mm seen in the SM560 that could be accomplished in this SV560 without compromising the design? The 115mm from something like the C14S is probably too much as well. The next smallest thing from the 55mm I can think of is 70mm, which opens up the possibility of a couple of Scythe and Noctua coolers. Would you say 70mm cpu height still compromises the design? It would still provide better cooling than its smaller SM560 while providing the choice of a slightly better cooler.

Edit: Namely the Scythe Big Shuriken 3, Noctua L9x65, and Noctua C12S @ or below 70mm

Secret-Misthios

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2019
Also a bit unrelated to my previous comment, but I'd like to contribute ideas to this cool project if they are of use.

Is the bottom end of the case meant to be populated or kept empty? If one could place either two 120mm or 140mm in exhaust, wouldnt that help thermals further? If the radiator is set to exhaust as well as potential fans at the bottom of the case, the negative pressure would force cold air through the vents on the side panels to cool the inside further. That seems to make sense to me, but I'd like to know if isnt the case, why not.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019

peartato

Minimal Tinkerer
May 29, 2019
I am def in the market for a tower itx, but at 19" tall it is pushing it for me. I understand this height is necessary if the purpose is to include a 360mm radiator, but I wish it were a tad smaller!

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Size creep up for adding support for the 240mm + 120mm AIO configuration.
This size creep also required flipping the case for stability, heavier end to the bottom.
SFX or SFX-L PSU orientated to draw air from middle of case, and exhaust out rear through radiator

Spot in bottom for pump/res that sacrafices bottom HDD / SDD mount.

Storage options:
2x 3.5" HDD + 1x SSD on bottom frame (optional + 3x 2.5" SSD on bracket)
or
1x 3.5" HDD + 3x SSD on bottom frame (optional + 3x SDD on bracket)
or
5x SSD on bottom frame (optional + 3x SDD on bracket)

The top cover is held on by ballstuds, easy to pop off and access your motherboard ports. No need for front IO board or tipping case over to plug in a USB.

Side panel are not ballstuds, held on by screws. Reason for this is I want to try and offer grained and anodized aluminum side panels, clear coated rusted steel panels, and powder coated color options all in one.

Optional base plate.

Still working on it's shorter sibling the SV540, will be air cooled only.

QUESTIONS FOR YALL

Is the venting looking ok? I think the bottom row of vents on the lower trim part needs to be reworked.

Also not sure on the flange that wraps around from the front... might make it a bit longer onto the side panel to even things out.

Any components or other ideas?

Any feedback or ideas are welcome, this is still a month or more out from prototype.

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
what is your plan vents for the Radiator side?

Radiator on the back is almost complete open, plan is to use the radiator itself as the vents. There are small holes meant for zip-tie of cables to run ddown the back as well.

Reactions: chyll2