Log Sliger SV540 Full Custom Loop

r3load3d

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
Haven't seen anyone install a full custom loop in this case yet, so I thought I'd start a log for my upcoming build. Just ordered all the parts (including the case), here's the list. I'm based in Australia so I probably won't have all the parts for a few weeks at least :(.

- Sliger SV540 Obsidian Black with minimalist panels
- Magicool 280mm x 28mm thick radiator XSPC EX280
- 2x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax 2x Thermaltake Toughfan 14
- Alphacool DC-LT v2 with Eisstation 40
- EK Quantum Velocity AMD Nickel + Acetal
- Barrow Full Cover Block for Colorful RTX 3080/3090
- EK Classic black fittings with ZMT tubing and an Aqua Computer G1/4" inline temp sensor.

Hardware installed will be the following. I already own all of this, it's currently installed in an air cooled Ncase M1:

- Asus ROG Strix B550-I
- Ryzen 5 5600X
- Colorful iGame Geforce RTX 3080 Ultra
- 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
- Corsair SF750

I also have a Geforce GT710 lying around which should help troubleshoot any riser compatibility issues if I update or reset the BIOS. Hopefully Sliger or a third party will have compatible gen 4 cables available soon, so far I haven't seen any that are compatible with the mounting holes of the ADT riser. If anyone is aware of one, please let me know and I will order it.

Last edited:

80ishplus

Efficiency Noob
Oct 13, 2019
Haven't seen anyone install a full custom loop in this case yet, so I thought I'd start a log for my upcoming build. Just ordered all the parts (including the case), here's the list. I'm based in Australia so I probably won't have all the parts for a few weeks at least :(.

- Sliger SV540 Obsidian Black with minimalist panels
- Magicool 280mm x 28mm thick radiator
- 2x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax
- Alphacool DC-LT v2 with Eisstation 40
- EK Quantum Velocity AMD Nickel + Acetal
- Barrow Full Cover Block for Colorful RTX 3080/3090
- EK Classic black fittings with ZMT tubing and an Aqua Computer G1/4" inline temp sensor.

Hardware installed will be the following. I already own all of this, it's currently installed in an air cooled Ncase M1:

- Asus ROG Strix B550-I
- Ryzen 5 5600X
- Colorful iGame Geforce RTX 3080 Ultra
- 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
- Corsair SF750

I also have a Geforce GT710 lying around which should help troubleshoot any riser compatibility issues if I update or reset the BIOS. Hopefully Sliger or a third party will have compatible gen 4 cables available soon, so far I haven't seen any that are compatible with the mounting holes of the ADT riser. If anyone is aware of one, please let me know and I will order it.
Hi,

I've actually been trawling around the internet for SV540 custom loops and haven't found any yet. I'm based in Australia as well and I have just received my SV540 (White) in the mail. I'm going to have a crack at a custom loop and it looks like we are going to be using a lot of similar parts. If we run into any road blocks maybe we can bounce ideas of each other. I don't come to SFF Network all that often, but you can DM me on instagram any time. I'm still on the fence regarding the pump res combo.

r3load3d

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
Hi,

I've actually been trawling around the internet for SV540 custom loops and haven't found any yet. I'm based in Australia as well and I have just received my SV540 (White) in the mail. I'm going to have a crack at a custom loop and it looks like we are going to be using a lot of similar parts. If we run into any road blocks maybe we can bounce ideas of each other. I don't come to SFF Network all that often, but you can DM me on instagram any time. I'm still on the fence regarding the pump res combo.
Yeah sounds good, I would definitely be interested to see your build. My case shipped yesterday, so my build is still at least a couple of weeks away.

I'm hoping the new DC-LT 2 is quiet enough, if not I'll see if I can fit something bigger. Mainly went with this option because I know it'll fit in a few different spots with a reservoir.

r3load3d

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
Got all my parts earlier this week and finished putting together the build. Everything went smoothly apart from the Barrow GPU block install, mainly because the instructions are not specific to this block and very basic, so it took a couple of mounts to work out exactly where screws and washers needed to go to get a good mount on the GPU and a flat, secure back plate with all screw holes filled.

I also changed a couple of parts. Ended up using an XSPC EX280 radiator, mainly because the ports are towards the edge of the radiator, which allows a bit more space for tubing and fittings plus cleaner tubing runs. It's also a low restriction radiator. Also decided to give the new Thermaltake Toughfan 14 a go due to some good reviews.

I haven't done any extensive testing at this stage, however some initial testing with a loop of Heaven 4.0 (after a 30 minute heat soak) resulted in a max GPU temperature of 56C and CPU temp of 73C. This is with the GPU at 1900Mhz, 900mV and the CPU running PBO with a -15 offset. After a 10 minute Cinebench loop, the CPU hit 79C. Max water temp was 43.5C during the Heaven loop with the fans at 1250RPM. Ambient temp was 27C (Australian summer...).

I'm also very impressed with the DC-LT v2 and Eisstation 40 reservoir. Inaudible unless you put your ear to the case (as quiet as the fans at 500RPM) and performs well. I think a large part of this is that the pump is hanging off the GPU and not mounted to the case at all, so there's no vibration transfer. Was also very easy to fill and bleed, all I had to do was lay the case on its side, top up with a funnel and let it run for a while to get most of the air bubbles out.

Also pretty impressed with the Thermaltake fans in terms of performance, although I haven't tested against other popular fans such as the NF-A14 or Arctic P14. I do much prefer the cable solution Noctua uses, with the fan plug on the fan with an included extension cable. The Toughfan cables are very long for SFF and a bit of a pain to cable manage.

Also want to give a shout out to Sliger and their great customer service. Originally they sent my case with the slotted (standard) side panels instead of the minimalist panels I ordered. Due to the cost of international shipping to return them, they offered to send me an additional set of minimalist panels free of charge. Because of this I thought the least I could do was test both panels to see if there was a performance difference. So I ran a 30 minute Heaven loop with the panels off, then fitted the minimalist panels and ran for 20 minutes, then fitted the standard panels and ran for another 20 minutes. Didn't set a constant fan speed so as well as the water temperature I also recorded the fan speed at the conclusion of each panel test. Results:

No panels: 41C at 1075RPM
Minimalist panels: 43C at 1200RPM
Standard panels: 43.5C at 1250RPM

I was expecting a larger difference between the two panels, which is the main reason I ordered the minimalist panels in the first place. It's possible the difference would be larger with lower static pressure fans and/or higher fan speeds. Because the difference is so low I might actually stick with the standard panels as I think they look slightly better. Hopefully this helps anyone with a similar config who can't decide between the two.

Very happy with the case overall. Good size, small footprint on my desk, easy internal cable management, and I like that all the cables are hidden at the bottom. Also like the radiator at the rear, which should help a little bit with perceived noise levels compared to a front or side mount, plus no hot air blowing over the desk. The other option I considered was the Meshilicious, and while I like the mesh panels I don't like the idea of having to use right angled cables or adapters. DisplayPort is temperamental enough as it is, I imagine my VR headset (Reverb G2) would have a fit with a right angle adapter. The only thing missing in my opinion is front (or top) panel USB. Edit: And also a PCI-E 4.0 riser!

Photos:

Last edited: