Log Cerberus X - The "Dark Horse" - Liquid Cooled Ripper/3090/3080

SoloLeveling

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Nov 14, 2021
Hello SFF Community! Looking to share with you one of the fun builds I did recently incorporating all the thermal giants like the Ryzen Threadripper 3970x, RTX 3090 and RTX 3080!

Here is my initial CAD mockup.

You will see a bit of a difference between the CAD and the actual build in terms of which ports the soft tubing actual connects into. I didn't check at the time the manual for which port was inlet and outlet on the EKWB parts, was more concerned about spacing and clearances for all the components.

You may have noticed that the sliger doesn't actually have that front hex pattern grill, but I got that laser cut to allow for maximum airflow!
This is the result after getting it laser cut, there was a bit of deformation but overall worked fine. I realize in the images above I was using 25mm thick fan, but that was because I was waiting for the 15mm ones to arrive.

Also I had the side panel extended using a laser cutting method; however it came out really distorted as expected since the metal is thinner for the side panels. To make up for that mistake, I had the clear panel that you can get with this case milled with slots, I forgot to take a picture for that.

Components List:

• CPU : Ryzen Threadripper 3970x
  • Mobo : Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus PRO Wifi
  • GPU Top : EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 XC3 Ultra Gaming
  • GPU Bottom : EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
  • RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GBs
  • M.2 NVMe : Samsung 980 PRO PCI-E x4 NVMe M.2 SSD, 2TB
  • PSU : Seasonic Prime 1300W 80+ Platinum

Liquid Cooling List:

• Pump + Res : Maelstrom D5 V2 Series [50mm Reservoir]

Blocks:​

• EK-Quantum Vector XC3 RTX 3080/3090 D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
  • EK-Quantum Vector XC3 RTX 3080/3090 D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
  • EK-Quantum Vector XC3 RTX 3080/3090 Backplate - Nickel [2x]
  • EK-Scalar Dual 2-slot - Acetal
  • EK-Quantum Velocity sTR4 D-RGB - Full Nickel

Sensor:​

• Alphacool Temperature Sensor (G 1/4)

Radiators:​

• Hardware Labs - Nemesis Black Ice - 240GTS [2x]

Fittings:​

Most of the fittings can be seen in the images above as I am sure everyone here is familiar with EKWB and Coolance, but the exact parts are as follows.
  • EK-Quantum Torque 6-Pack STC 10/16 - Black Nickel
  • Koolance 90 Degree Low Profile Adapter (G 1/4)
  • EK-Quantum Torque Rotary 90° - Black Nickel
  • EK-Quantum Torque Extender Static MF 7 - Black Nickel
  • EK-Quantum Torque Extender Static MM 28 - Black Nickel
  • EK-AF T-Splitter 3F G1/4 - Black Nickel
  • EK-Quantum Torque Plug w/Badge - Black Nickel
  • EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 15,9/9,5mm
Thermal Compound : Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut
Coolant : EKWB CryoFuel Clear

Testing!

Well the results are in for the new Liquid Cooled Ripper. I had ran several tests trying to kill the system, but it appears that the beast has been tamed. A part of the setup included spending a good amount of time optimizing the fan & pump curves to react to the system accordingly, so each system in the future will need to be manually tuned. Please note that there was no overclocking done and no under-volting done, everything is stock except for the fan curves. As for the tests done to the computer, they are as follows:
For those interested in power consumption, the power results are as follows read directly off a power meter, the GPU power can be seen in the terminal running watch nvidia-smi. It should also be noted that the system was a bit more stable on 460 Drivers over 470 Drivers.
  • 32 & 64 Thread Dumps ~ 440W
  • 1080p Extreme & 8k optimized ~ 520W
  • Combined 1080p Extreme + 32 Thread Dump ~ 720W
Hope you guys enjoyed :D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Really impressive build!
Still amazed with 64 threads..;)
Would you have some picture with ATX PSU installed?
What screen are you using? it seems to be 32:9 as far as YT video is reporting..:)