Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

3dl1r

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 6, 2019
The Phoenix MLC is all end of life, as the EK modular products always end up. They killed the Predator, then the Phoenix, now they've also killed Fluid Gaming (their Aluminum stuff). I would not suggest buying anything EK that isn't either a CLC or a standard copper-based watercooling part.

I spent a really long time being chicken about watercooling, worrying about doing a custom loop and trying to convince myself that these modular systems (like the Eisbaer/Eiswolf from Alphacool or the Phoenix from EK) would be a solution, but your problem is your tubes are going to be too long and with chunky QDCs in the middle that take up space. In the end, if you want to watercool in a 280, it's never been easier with the new Aquanaut pump/block or the Alphacool Eisbaer LT pump block. You'll be much happier doing it yourself rather than using kits.

If all you're after is a 280 CLC for the SM580, there are lots of better options, like the new EK 280 AIO or the Fractal Design Celcius+ 28 Dynamic.
I hav read in a review that ek 240 aio is difficult to fit in the gigabyte z490 itx ultra due to vrm heatsinks... i would happily go for custom build, but i intend to move it around and i can guess it will be a lot more expensive

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I hav read in a review that ek 240 aio is difficult to fit in the gigabyte z490 itx ultra due to vrm heatsinks... i would happily go for custom build, but i intend to move it around and i can guess it will be a lot more expensive
You can go for alphacool eisbaer.

Reactions: 3dl1r

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
They look awesome. one of them looks like a ncase m1 but bigger, with enough clearance for that noctua heatsink. It may be not the smallest case in town, but you can do a reaaaaly silent rig in there

Reactions: rfarmer

srekal34

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2019
Well they mention the S610 and S620, so maybe the S620 can?
In the reddit post there are detailed specifications for both. S620 is basically bigger NR200 that can handle Noctua D15, S610 is the smaller version, that can only fit U9S. At this price, I think it's a missed opportunity.

Reactions: Kit

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
In the reddit post there are detailed specifications for both. S620 is basically bigger NR200 that can handle Noctua D15, S610 is the smaller version, that can only fit U9S. At this price, I think it's a missed opportunity.

Yeah I agree now, i'm not sure why you would buy it over a NR200 as it will surely cost 2-3x more and the design doesnt seem as efficent unless you're madly into air cooling?

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
I would rather have SM550 v2 and SM570 v2.
I am sure SM550 can be made with movable internal config, so bigger GPU or CPU Cooler can fit. And SM570 can be optimized a little more, so it can easily take two 240 slimmer rads, instead of one bigger on top. The same with the internal config.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah I agree now, i'm not sure why you would buy it over a NR200 as it will surely cost 2-3x more and the design doesnt seem as efficent unless you're madly into air cooling?
That's the main issue. NR200 took Bitfenix Prodigy/Phenom place back to 2013. From now, NR200 has become reference point (design, volume and price).

Meanwhile, arrival of beefy GPU like RTX 3080 or RX6800Xt is hurting a lot Dan A4 or Ghost S1, limited to 2 slots GPU with vertical exhaust...and with some troubles with pcie Riser that struggles to move to Gen 4 (whereas Gen 5 and 6 milestones are in sight...Gen 5 for Zen 4)

On CPU side, Intel is out for SFF for now due too power hungry chips with no benefit vs Zen 3...except as heater...:)

I foresee some noticeable changes in SFF world..;)
  • 3 slots GPU, 140mm tall (basically RTX 3090 compatible) is becoming a must
  • Easier cable management
  • Less noisy cpu cooling
  • More Motherboard choice (extension up to ATX)
  • More vertical design as new consoles are clearly heading that way

I expect more case from 10 to 14 liters to accomodate all that...and avoid NR200 direct comparison.

Very interesting period of time as it's another step in SFF world..:D

Reactions: Fitchew and rfarmer

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
I really like the SM580 and the Cerberus and if I lose patience waiting for Waha's Meshy-boi or riba's N-ATX, I will most likely go for the SM580

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Ref 6800XT - will it fit? It should, taking spec measurements into consideration.
In SM550? Could be...let's wait for exact measurements. If it's 2.5 slots (50mm thick) exactly it could fit using my small mod on vented panel (check my signature).

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Ref 6800XT - will it fit? It should, taking spec measurements into consideration.
RX 6800XT (and also 6900XT), reference card dimensions are : 267 x 118 x 48 mm
Such, good news, SM550 and SM570 are fully compatible with them..:)

SM550 with Zen 3 + RX 6900XT will pack tons of power...:D

Reactions: rfarmer

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
So ... Reference AMD 6800XT does fit in Sliger SM550. Kinda ...

For a start I should apologize - I don't have enough pictures to show the whole process and the issues. With my two littles you either act quickly or you are out of time. I will try to be detailed enough with words.

The short answer is YES - Reference AMD 6800XT fits in Sliger SM550. It fits even without any modifications, but you are better off with 1 particular.

Installations issues:
  • The top stud insert does not allow fitting the card at all. In order to install the card, you should remove the top panel and also unscrew the PCI-E holder. Then you insert the card from the top, fit the PCI-E slot onto the card and then position them both properly in order to screw the PCI-E holder again.
  • The card fits JUST below the stud insert, however the bottom rivet holding the insert pushes the card towards the internal of the case. As a result of this the card sits at an angle you have the following issues:
    • The mount at the rear of the case (don't know it's name actually) does not lay flat and the screw holes are off - you can't screw the holder to the case
    • As a consequence of the above, mounting the PSU cable plate is almost impossible. One screw gets it, but the other not. You can fit both but with a lot of force and screwed just a little
    • Because of the angle the GPU sits, the clearance between the back of the GPU and the spine of the case, where the 8pin connectors are, is (even) smaller. Any less bending cables (in my case, custom) push the GPU more from that point outwards so it does end up sticking out of the case and side panel cannot be mounted.
    • The top panel needs a lot of force to get in and you can only screw it at the back - the front holes are misaligned.
    • Inserting the front plate is quite hard and it is misaligned
    • There is obviously a lot of force distributed through the case and the GPU because of the bend
    • The HDMI slot (which is the top one) might be blocked by the case
  • As I said - custom cables are out of question without modding anything. Granted, I have the most stiff scenario - MDPC-X sleeving + 16AWG wires. Probably stock Corsair SF cables will fit

All of the above can be (almost) solved by removing the bottom rivet of the insert. But don't do it like me - I sanded it off (almost) while the rest of the HW was in the case. Obviously flying metal dust is a bad idea ... Fortunately, I type from this machine now ...
After some sanding (and cutting with the pliers), it looks like this. Note that it is not flush and it might be still touching the GPU, but I couldn't do more give the circumstances:

This solved almost all issues - the case assembles properly, I was able to screw the back mount on the case (note that because of the not perfectly flush rivet, the screw hole was a little off, but with some force, all aligned properly). I was able to mount the PSU cable as well a close the top panel properly.

The issue with the PCI cables was also almost solved - I only had to remove the cable combs and spread the wires next to each other. Due to the stiffness they still push the GPU a bit, but not enough - the GPU does not touch the side panel:

As you can see by the shadows, I pulled it off. The card really JUST fits (49.75mm spec VS 50mm clearance) but this rivet should go away.

Will I do it again? Yes - the feeling when you power up the system is nice.

Sadly, as I said, I didn't have time for fancy pictures, so here is one less-fancy:

Didn't have time to do thermals and stuff, but single run of 3DMark reports around 2200mhz core with the case on the GPU side next to a wall.

P.S. In case someone wonders - photos were taken with last years flagship Note 10+. Since my Note 4, 5 years ago, cameras didn't really move.
P.S.S. Will re-read the post for typos and stuff tomorrow ...