Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

KingSpades

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2018
Could someone kindly perform a sanity check for me? I've never tried custom watercooling and I'm wondering if I picked the right parts (Esp for the SM580)

Am I missing something? Is anything incompatible?

j6runner

Chassis Packer
Dec 12, 2019
I am new here and would like to build a Mini-ITX PC.

Parts:
- Sliger SM580
- Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
- AMD Ryzen 3900X
- G.Skill Trident Z Neo DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3600, CL16-19-19-39 (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
- Corsair SF-750W
- Kraken Z63 AIO - 280mm
- Seagate FireCuda 520 SSD ZP2000GM3A002 2 TB M.2 (2280) SSD
- EVGA RTX 2080 TI FTW3

I ordered an SM580 a week ago (density.sk) - I hope that it won't take that long for the delivery.

Regarding cooling CPU: I ordered a Kraken Z63 - is it useful to change the fans with Noctua's? Maybe someone has experience with a Kraken X62 with Noctua's / stock fans?

IIRC NZXTs stock fans perform pretty decenty but I would still replace them with Noctuas. Also I would get a couple of 140mm Noctuas for the bottom. It's also going to depend a lot on personal configuration and testing.

Reactions: UdoG

j6runner

Chassis Packer
Dec 12, 2019
Could someone kindly perform a sanity check for me? I've never tried custom watercooling and I'm wondering if I picked the right parts (Esp for the SM580)

Am I missing something? Is anything incompatible?

Looks fine to me. Dont have experience with that RAD though, so I would just make sure it fits.

j6runner

Chassis Packer
Dec 12, 2019
@KSliger I know you guys are busy and a bit slammed, but I've had an issue with my SM580 and I've been trying to get a response on it. The issue is that I received what appears to be Revision B of the case and I love the quality of the case, but when installing my motherboard (Asus ROG Strix Z390-I) the IO shield on the back does not align with the cutout. The same motherboard fits perfectly in my Fractal Define R6. Other people also appear to have this issue and I found one example on Reddit of a user with Revision A of this case and the same motherboard which appears not to have this issue. It seems like either the standsoffs are too high or the center part of the case was not riveted in the proper spots causing this misalignment. I do not believe it to be a problem with the motherboard as it does fit perfectly in the Define R6. Here are some pictures to show what I am talking about.

Could anyone else with Revision B that has issues with the IO cutout also post here?

Last edited:

SloppyDingo

What's an ITX?
Feb 12, 2020
CORONAVIRUS UPDATES

The factory that make the PCIe risers is closed down until late March / Early April, so we are looking into alternatives. If you go buy a case and it has a different PCIe riser don't be surprised. We are not trying to bamboozle you.

USB/Audio front panel board and cable vendors have not responded for ETA on when they are going to open, this is probably going to be our biggest issue. Will likely launch Console/Conswole without FPIO options for now.

Power switch vendor says he will let me know on when he can return. We have an alternate vendor in Taiwan already producing more switches.

All metal,powder coating, and acrylic is done here in the US. Packaging is also made locally.

I know you have no control over this but how does this affect orders that have already been placed in the last few weeks? Hows your inventory of the above mentioned components?

UdoG

Caliper Novice
Feb 12, 2020
Is it better to mount the power supply with the fan inside (towards the back plate of the graphics card) or outside? If you mount the PSU with fan inside, won't it get the heat from the graphics card? Or it doesn't matter, since the fan blows the warm air out of the PSU?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
OptimumTech hit some good points about the vent pattern, and I'll admit those were concerns of mine during design.

Obround was put in for where people would potentially be mounting parts, going to remove the rear obround pattern and change the internal front pattern to rectangles. Should look better. I've only seen one person actually use the rear for a pump mount, and given everything else done to the case they would have had no problems drilling their own holes. See no reason to keep the rear obround pattern.

Bottom rectangle pattern was chosen for maximum airflow and minimal turbulent noise. No changes to this other than I might make the SM560 able to accept 140mm fans in the future.

Top round pattern was chosen due to handle, originally had a rectangle pattern similar the SM550. Working on a prototype that has a new rectangle pattern.

For the radiator compatibility, here's a big question for everyone:

Would anyone be interested in us providing an option to purchase an Asetek 280mm radiator (no RGB or anything fancy like LCD/software) with two Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.Black.swap fans as a kit at a discount when purchasing the case?

Price would be competitive with NZXT / Corsair / Coolermaster 280mm AIO offerings, around $140~$150, but again - no RGB and you get the worlds best fans.

Might also make this Noctua / Asetek radiator combo standard for our SM570 in 240mm, SV590 in 360mm, and start bundling a 92mm slim with our 92mm AIOs.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Would anyone be interested in us providing an option to purchase an Asetek 280mm radiator (no RGB or anything fancy like LCD/software) with two Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.Black.swap fans as a kit at a discount when purchasing the case?

Price would be competitive with NZXT / Corsair / Coolermaster 280mm AIO offerings, around $140~$150, but again - no RGB and you get the worlds best fans.

Might also make this Noctua / Asetek radiator combo standard for our SM570 in 240mm, SV590 in 360mm, and start bundling a 92mm slim with our 92mm AIOs.
When you say Asetek 280mm Radiator, you mean 280mm AIO (i.e. with tubes and pump block)? I would think including bundles in every case with watercooling would be awesome since outside of a few folks doing custom loops, most people are probably slapping 280mm/240mm AIOs in the SM580/570 respectively and shipping it w/the case and Noctua fans would be awesome. Swapping out fans for Noctuas with Corsair and NZXT AIOs are very common and so avoiding that would save money right there.

Only thing I'd mention is that on the 240mm radiator you won't have the Chromax option if you want the best performance, currently the Noctua 120x25mm Chromax fan is the previous generation fan. The new one (which is really really good) is only available in brown at the moment.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
When you say Asetek 280mm Radiator, you mean 280mm AIO (i.e. with tubes and pump block)? I would think including bundles in every case with watercooling would be awesome since outside of a few folks doing custom loops, most people are probably slapping 280mm/240mm AIOs in the SM580/570 respectively and shipping it w/the case and Noctua fans would be awesome. Swapping out fans for Noctuas with Corsair and NZXT AIOs are very common and so avoiding that would save money right there.

Only thing I'd mention is that on the 240mm radiator you won't have the Chromax option if you want the best performance, currently the Noctua 120x25mm Chromax fan is the previous generation fan. The new one (which is really really good) is only available in brown at the moment.

Sorry, yes on full AIO, not a radiator.

See here: https://www.asetek.com/gamingenthus...ngdiy/cpu-cooling/gen6-mainstream-cpu-coolers

Saving money was my main thought, that and not having to deal with RGB is a bonus. RGB is fun, but the software is all buggy spyware and cable management is problematic enough in SFF cases witout a RGB controller to contend with.

I'll have to pick up some of the fans to test and compare performance, think it should be a negligible difference.

Worst case maybe offer both fan options? I just have a feeling >75% of people will go with black.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I'll have to pick up some of the fans to test and compare performance, think it should be a negligible difference.
It's not. Noctua themselves made a chart for this too. It really is that good.

But yes I think the whole concept is 100% a good idea to include the AIOs as an option, regardless of what you do with the fans. Truth be told anyone can buy fans, not everyone can buy those Asetek rads in OEM form for a discount - that's where your economies of scale would be most helpful.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Hell I’d buy the AIO with Noctua fans from you guys by itself. I swap all the fans to Noctuas on those anyway ?

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017

Would have been interested at the time I got my sm580 and saved myself the trouble of trying to fit the EVGA CLC280 in there with its perpendicular tube geometry.

However, I did some testing with NF-A14s, Arctic Bionix P-14's, and Noiseblocker E-loop 140s, and found both the Bionix and the E-loops to out perform the A14's in noise and temps at the same RPMs for those interested.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
However, I did some testing with NF-A14s, Arctic Bionix P-14's, and Noiseblocker E-loop 140s, and found both the Bionix and the E-loops to out perform the A14's in noise and temps at the same RPMs for those interested.
At which RPMs did you test? I'm using two A14s on a 280mm radiator at ~1000rpm at load and I wish they were quieter :( If the Bionix and E-loops outperform, can you run them lower RPM and do they get quiter?

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
At which RPMs did you test? I'm using two A14s on a 280mm radiator at ~1000rpm at load and I wish they were quieter :( If the Bionix and E-loops outperform, can you run them lower RPM and do they get quiter?

I tested at 600, 800 and 1000 RPMs. The E-loops were the quietest across the board and had the best performance by ~1-2 C at every speed, however be warned they are 28mm thick instead of 25mm which doesn't cause fitment issues on the CLC280 rad but if you have a thicker rad you'll want to measure first. The A14's were quieter than the Bionix at 600rpm, about the same at 800, and louder at 1000, but the Bionix was giving me better performance at 800 RPMs by about 2C and at 1000 RPMs by ~3C (comparable to the E-Loops but louder). For the price, I was very impressed by the Bionix and ended up sticking them on the bottom of my sm580 in exhaust with the E-loops in push exhausting through the rad.

mweis

Trash Compacter
Jan 2, 2020
this was the reason for me to swap the nf-a14s for nf-a12s with the 140mm adapter, which is a lot better

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
The E-loops were the quietest across the board and had the best performance by ~1-2 C at every speed, however be warned they are 28mm thick instead of 25mm
Interesting that they're 28mm thick, I'll have to see if that causes a problem.
this was the reason for me to swap the nf-a14s for nf-a12s with the 140mm adapter, which is a lot better
At that point why not just go with a 240mm radiator then? Is there a benefit to 280mm rad + 240mm of (ducted) fans?