Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

3dl1r

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 6, 2019
So, does anyone have any information when the cases will be available in density.sk website ? I wish the site labeled their products with prices so i could decide whether it is worth waiting

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Hey gang, after days (literally spent the whole day) thinking, evaluating, and pulling my hair out on my next moves, I decided that I should suck up the extra $200 and abandon my Sentry case to switch to an SM550 case.

Now, what do you all think? Is this a wise decision? My reasoning is that the SM550 though cost an extra $200 would have the thermal capability and space to support better graphics card. It also helps with future upgradability compared to the Sentry.

I was thinking of getting the Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT. Do you think it will fit? Height and length wise, it fits, but the width is 46.5mm while the SM550's max width is 50mm. Just scared it will be too close to the sides so it will be too loud.

What is the extra $200 coming from? Shipping/customs? If you are in EU our distributor density.sk should be up this month, might save you a bit to order through them?

The Pulse will fit no problem, the 50mm max size is only our advised size and the actual size it fits is a little bigger.

So, does anyone have any information when the cases will be available in density.sk website ? I wish the site labeled their products with prices so i could decide whether it is worth waiting

Aiming for end of this month, but best to contact them directly for an estimate.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Primochil radiators will fit in the SM580 no problem. That pump should fit just fine too!
I don't mean to be a pest asking for this, but any kind of guidance on custom loops would be appreciated. Several months ago you stated you were going to provide some examples and so forth, and in the intervening time I've seen a few custom loops posted on here, but they've all been enormously challenging for people. Some guidance on pump positions, recommended reservoirs, radiators, etc, would go a long way in making things simpler.
Will be changing the SM580 to be 14mm wider, this allows almost any 280mm radiator I can find on the market. 8mm of this will be to the CPU side so that there is a total of 63mm height for CPU pump block, GPU side will 6mm more for additional airflow.
I'm hoping the changes you're making to the SM580 are designed to make custom loops easier. Sadly I just received the LS280 HWLabs Radiator to make sure it would fit in everything, but I guess I could always use that on the bottom if you're anticipating dual-280 loops in the case. Where do you anticipate pumps and reservoirs mounting in the new SM580?
I would have to make the middle rib mount on screws to do this. Concern is of course that those screws could strip. I'll look into it.
I think this would be a great option for people, as it would also solve the AIO issue in the bottom of the case as well. By removing the spine you could more easily mount AIO tubes around the spine and that would open up Hybrid GPUs with 120mm CLCs along with a 280mm radiator on the CPU. This would actually be useful as well on the SM570, with a 120+240 configuration.

polarium

Trash Compacter
Aug 31, 2019
@polarium

The vents are shaped in a way that even if a fan is directly up against the side panel, it doesn't make more noise.

Damn that's really neat, smart thinking by the Sliger guys.

What is the extra $200 coming from? Shipping/customs? If you are in EU our distributor density.sk should be up this month, might save you a bit to order through them?

The Pulse will fit no problem, the 50mm max size is only our advised size and the actual size it fits is a little bigger.

Ah I mean an extra $200 for the SM550 compared to the Sentry hahaha ? . Glad to hear the Pulse will fit, and it's cool that you can max out the 50mm max size!

Last edited:

Ariamella

Trash Compacter
Aug 19, 2019
SM580 v2 -- your input is needed!

I need everyone feedback on the SM580 v1 - only what you didn't like and think could be improved!

Will be changing the SM580 to be 14mm wider, this allows almost any 280mm radiator I can find on the market. 8mm of this will be to the CPU side so that there is a total of 63mm height for CPU pump block, GPU side will 6mm more for additional airflow.

Will be changing the handle mount / radiator mount bracket to be reversible so there isn't a correct direction to install it, had a few complaints of it being installed backwards and having to rebuild the system to get the handle to mount.

Adding one more screw to the PSU mount bracket in the front of the case so that it doesn't wiggle as much. Might remove one of the screws that attaches PSU mount bracket to the middle spine.

I am also removing the 2x rear plastic caps & 1" round holes for custom loops as I have not seen a single person use them.
Ideally some of the radiator mounting space in the top shifted to the bottom, plus a little extra height so there's 55mm of space top and bottom for rads and fans. Oh, and glass instead of acrylic.

Reactions: CountNoctua

sarcosis

Case Bender
Jul 23, 2019

I need everyone feedback on the SM580 v1 - only what you didn't like and think could be improved!

Will be changing the handle mount / radiator mount bracket to be reversible so there isn't a correct direction to install it, had a few complaints of it being installed backwards and having to rebuild the system to get the handle to mount.

Adding one more screw to the PSU mount bracket in the front of the case so that it doesn't wiggle as much. Might remove one of the screws that attaches PSU mount bracket to the middle spine.

I am also removing the 2x rear plastic caps & 1" round holes for custom loops as I have not seen a single person use them.

First off, I love the case. It was as sturdy and easy to work with as expected. A few thing I could suggest:

1. The motherboard IO shield input was a little big for mine. My IO shield fit ok, but it didn’t snap in place like it did on my other cases so it was kind of a pain to get the mobo to mount since I had to juggle the shield and mount it at the same time. Overall, not too much of a pain, but one I didn’t expect.
2. A manual would have been great and I know that’s in the works, but I think if you had a listed sequence of installation for components, that would go a long way. I was able to figure it out, but I’ve built many computers and planned the sequence out in advance.
3. The most important part is to rethink the 2.5” mount on the front of case. I had a few issues:

* First, it’s placed at just the right place (slightly offset of the middle) that I can’t fit anything (like a Corsair Commander Pro) above it or anything below it. I think if you found away to adjust it, that would help solve that problem.

* Second, I found the 2 bay 2.5” nearly impossible to use with 2 SSD’s without an adapter. I am using a SF600 Gold and with the way the SATA connectors are hooked up, I couldn’t find a way to get both connected and be able to close the front. I did one drive to the top and one drive to the bottom and while I was able to get both plugged in, I couldn’t get the front to close. I know that Pslate has a SATA power connector to solve this, but it would be nice to not have to get it. Perhaps if you moved the place to mount the 2.5” bays or change it to 2 2.5” bays instead of a single double thick 2.5” would solve that so we could route different cables to it.

* Third, I don’t find much value in the thumb screws for the 2.5” bay. There was too much tension for me to remove them using my fingers. I ended up using a screw driver. I also think if you are at the point of dealing with these SATA drives, you will probably already have a screwdriver since you are probably planning to either remove or install a SSD, so it’s not necessary. It’s a good thought, but I don’t quite like the trade offs. For example, with the 2.5” bay, I tried to put a 2.5” SSD facing down on the inter most (closest to the bottom of the mount) and the score interfered with the SATA connector. I couldn’t get it to fit. I had to move it to the top of the bracket to get it to work. If it was just another screw, I would have been able to mount it.

Hope these help. Happy to help and to give feedback on other ideas or clarifications.

Blizzbray

Efficiency Noob
Jul 22, 2019

Is there a rough release windown on when V2 will be ready? if its a month or 2 i'll likely wait to order till then. But if its closer to 6 I May not!

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Has there been issues with installing an EVGA GM PSU to the bracket on SM570/580? I had clearance issues with the power cord insertion housing.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Is there a rough release windown on when V2 will be ready? if its a month or 2 i'll likely wait to order till then. But if its closer to 6 I May not!

I would think maybe Black Friday-ish for V2, really hunting for ideas right now to improve or anything I can do. Maybe make a rev V1.1 rather than a V2 for now.

Reasoning is I still have a lot of inventory to work through, could use a Black Friday coupon to clear out remaining V1, and I have a lot of new cases (6 or 7 total) I want to get out before end of year.

Has there been issues with installing an EVGA GM PSU to the bracket on SM570/580? I had clearance issues with the power cord insertion housing.

I have heard of this issue, but I lost the post regarding it. If you can post a picture of the issues I will make this fix immediately.

V2, eh? Aside from the promised handle... How about pearlescent paint options?

We EOL'd the red to start offering more color choices, what color are you thinking?

First off, I love the case. It was as sturdy and easy to work with as expected. A few thing I could suggest:

1. The motherboard IO shield input was a little big for mine. My IO shield fit ok, but it didn’t snap in place like it did on my other cases so it was kind of a pain to get the mobo to mount since I had to juggle the shield and mount it at the same time. Overall, not too much of a pain, but one I didn’t expect.
2. A manual would have been great and I know that’s in the works, but I think if you had a listed sequence of installation for components, that would go a long way. I was able to figure it out, but I’ve built many computers and planned the sequence out in advance.
3. The most important part is to rethink the 2.5” mount on the front of case. I had a few issues:

* First, it’s placed at just the right place (slightly offset of the middle) that I can’t fit anything (like a Corsair Commander Pro) above it or anything below it. I think if you found away to adjust it, that would help solve that problem.

* Second, I found the 2 bay 2.5” nearly impossible to use with 2 SSD’s without an adapter. I am using a SF600 Gold and with the way the SATA connectors are hooked up, I couldn’t find a way to get both connected and be able to close the front. I did one drive to the top and one drive to the bottom and while I was able to get both plugged in, I couldn’t get the front to close. I know that Pslate has a SATA power connector to solve this, but it would be nice to not have to get it. Perhaps if you moved the place to mount the 2.5” bays or change it to 2 2.5” bays instead of a single double thick 2.5” would solve that so we could route different cables to it.

* Third, I don’t find much value in the thumb screws for the 2.5” bay. There was too much tension for me to remove them using my fingers. I ended up using a screw driver. I also think if you are at the point of dealing with these SATA drives, you will probably already have a screwdriver since you are probably planning to either remove or install a SSD, so it’s not necessary. It’s a good thought, but I don’t quite like the trade offs. For example, with the 2.5” bay, I tried to put a 2.5” SSD facing down on the inter most (closest to the bottom of the mount) and the score interfered with the SATA connector. I couldn’t get it to fit. I had to move it to the top of the bracket to get it to work. If it was just another screw, I would have been able to mount it.

Hope these help. Happy to help and to give feedback on other ideas or clarifications.

I checked a few IO shields I have and did not see this problem - these are from a mix of Jetway, Supermicro, Quanmax, ASRock, and Gigabyte motherboards - if anyone else sees this problem please let me know what company the IO shield is from. The cutout is to the ATX specification, I might need to trim it in a .010" on every side or so.

The 2.5" mount was not as thought out as it should have been, I will give you that. Will move it around with this feedback considered, will give some thought to changing it use screws instead as well as that would get it out of the way of the connector on certain positioning. Other thing is maybe just change the SSD holder entirely on all 4 SM cases, as it's not that great on any of them.

I really appreciate the depth of this feedback too, if anything else bugs you feel free to post it here or email me ksliger@sliger.com.

Same holds true for anyone else, I like specific feedback no matter how minor it seems.

Not worried about GPU fitment (reference length card with waterblock at just under 17mm) but a reservoir that is 52mm thick that I want to squeeze between the GPU and side panel.

Between the GPU and side panel, or between the GPU and front of case?

On side panel that might wind up making this case really thick, I'll see what I can work out to allocate space better, but that might be tough to go that wide as it quickly becomes the size of Cerberus.

Ideally some of the radiator mounting space in the top shifted to the bottom, plus a little extra height so there's 55mm of space top and bottom for rads and fans. Oh, and glass instead of acrylic.

Cant' do glass with the handle and current mounting mechanism, and price on glass is crazy expensive with the necessary holes and temper.

2x 280mm I will probably loop back around some day for an SM590 or possibly something based on the popular case mod people do to the Cerberus case to get 2x 280mm in it.

Right now focused on the SV series which is 360mm radiator + room for pump/res, then will be making a few lower priced entry level SFF cases to pull in the crowd of people that want SFF but have a budget in the $99 to $149 range. Consider this a strong potential case after those.

Ariamella

Trash Compacter
Aug 19, 2019
2x 280mm I will probably loop back around some day for an SM590 or possibly something based on the popular case mod people do to the Cerberus case to get 2x 280mm in it.

Right now focused on the SV series which is 360mm radiator + room for pump/res, then will be making a few lower priced entry level SFF cases to pull in the crowd of people that want SFF but have a budget in the $99 to $149 range. Consider this a strong potential case after those.
Damn, I was hoping for 2x280mm rad support in the SM580 cause it requires relatively light work, considering you're already gonna make it wider.

Reactions: ermac318

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017
We EOL'd the red to start offering more color choices, what color are you thinking?

Hey, don't go crazy for me --- I'm going to perhaps make a run at the V2 late this year. I'm holding out for a handle and just blew some money on audiophile crap!

That said, something white with a pearl/purple/blue tinge would be cool, if I decide to go all out with colors and a decal.

Meanwhile, hey, I swear I've read all 154 pages of the thread over time, but it's easy to forget --- how high do the feet go? Do you recommend any replacement feet that could go something like 2-3" high?

I just had an idea to mount a Mayflower ARC DAC/amp (read: audiophile crap) under the case, front and center... Which is probably a terrible idea, especially considering I was all-in on the passive cooling way back when.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Hey, don't go crazy for me --- I'm going to perhaps make a run at the V2 late this year. I'm holding out for a handle and just blew some money on audiophile crap!

That said, something white with a pearl/purple/blue tinge would be cool, if I decide to go all out with colors and a decal.

Meanwhile, hey, I swear I've read all 154 pages of the thread over time, but it's easy to forget --- how high do the feet go? Do you recommend any replacement feet that could go something like 2-3" high?

I just had an idea to mount a Mayflower ARC DAC/amp (read: audiophile crap) under the case, front and center... Which is probably a terrible idea, especially considering I was all-in on the passive cooling way back when.

I believe the stock feet are 12mm (half inch). Cheapest readily available set of feet I've found is 1.6 inches or 38-39mm (RubberFeetUSA), but they are round feet and not square, and I feel they ruin the aesthetic. 2-3 inches is TAAAALLL, too

@KSliger don't want this to become a color request thread buuutt.... ultrasonic blue (a Lexus paint color) prismatic powder equivalent would be so cool! I don't know if there are any plans to change the other base colors, but I'd like to see a blacker black (prismatic powder's ink blank?) and a titanium color

Nugget

Trash Compacter
Mar 9, 2019
@KSliger don't want this to become a color request thread buuutt.... ultrasonic blue (a Lexus paint color) prismatic powder equivalent would be so cool! I don't know if there are any plans to change the other base colors, but I'd like to see a blacker black (prismatic powder's ink blank?) and a titanium color
I think you can request a custom color if you email them after you've ordered your case (@CountNoctua can verify that). Managing all the panel options is a big pain for them, but I'm not sure if that applies to painting the panels as well.

Reactions: CountNoctua