Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
My SM570 case just arrived (ground shipping still got it to me overnight because there's a good path from Sparks NV to SF) and it is gorgeous and well made, but my plan was an absolute failure. (All links are images)

While it is a great deal smaller than my old case with dual AIOs, I could not make it work. I pulled the hardware out of my old case, installed the waterblocks, then set on getting my radiators to fit. The top was a breeze thanks to the removable bracket, but the bottom simply would not fit. This case is NOT made for a lower radiator. Not one to shy from a challenge, I removed the side of my radiator to get just a tiny bit more clearance and slid it in - scuffing the radiator and case in the process. I was able to reattach the side once it was under the motherboard plate. The lower fan screw holes do not line up to a 240mm rad either. Motherboard was a tight squeeze because it's the kind with the preattached backplate. Just a bit of a shove got it to work. It looks great with hardware, and my massive 1080 Ti FTW3 card even fit, but that was when I hit a wall. That GPU is just WAY. TOO. BIG. There is literally nowhere I could wedge even the smallest pump I own into the case.

I am sad. I dinged up the inside of this too much to exchange it for a 580 and I don't even know if that radiator will ever come out without destroying it. I can't afford to replace the 1080 Ti FTW3 (don't buy this - it's too big) for this project. Now my VR PC is down for the count with my brand new headset offline.

As suggested, cpu pump block should solve your pump problem. I've also contemplated a bottom 240 when I finally receive my case, and I had noted that in the official pics there is a small space (I guesstimate 5mm) between the 2 bottom fans. So I intend to secure that bottom 240 rad with just 4 screws that line up to 1 fan space. That should be plenty for a rad that is sitting at the bottom of a case.

Also, there's not a chance for a fan on top of those rads..even with the xspc tx rad. From my extensive picture pixel peeping and eyeballing, a 25 mm fan leaves less than 5mm of space above it. At most, 30 mm, probably closer to 28 mm space at the bottom under Mobo tray..but PSU side? Looks like a fan can fit, but not a 120. With the 92mm aio adapter, you could theoretically fit a 92 to your 240mm.

Anyway, these are the crazy ideas I have while waiting for my case. I've got some more outside of the box thinking to do yet... ;)

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
My SM570 case just arrived (ground shipping still got it to me overnight because there's a good path from Sparks NV to SF) and it is gorgeous and well made, but my plan was an absolute failure. (All links are images)

While it is a great deal smaller than my old case with dual AIOs, I could not make it work. I pulled the hardware out of my old case, installed the waterblocks, then set on getting my radiators to fit. The top was a breeze thanks to the removable bracket, but the bottom simply would not fit. This case is NOT made for a lower radiator. Not one to shy from a challenge, I removed the side of my radiator to get just a tiny bit more clearance and slid it in - scuffing the radiator and case in the process. I was able to reattach the side once it was under the motherboard plate. The lower fan screw holes do not line up to a 240mm rad either. Motherboard was a tight squeeze because it's the kind with the preattached backplate. Just a bit of a shove got it to work. It looks great with hardware, and my massive 1080 Ti FTW3 card even fit, but that was when I hit a wall. That GPU is just WAY. TOO. BIG. There is literally nowhere I could wedge even the smallest pump I own into the case.

I am sad. I dinged up the inside of this too much to exchange it for a 580 and I don't even know if that radiator will ever come out without destroying it. I can't afford to replace the 1080 Ti FTW3 (don't buy this - it's too big) for this project. Now my VR PC is down for the count with my brand new headset offline.
I feel like I'm going crazy, how did you attach your radiator to the inner grill of the top of the case ? Mine won't come apart and the top grill holes are too small for the screws to fit, so I had to slide them from underneath and screw from the top through the holes...

The top looks like it should separate into another two parts, but doesn't, making accessing the radiator rack/grill impossible except like this:
1. Put screw near "rail" from underside
2. Drop screw into rail, so it's pointing down towards radiator holes
3. Position radiator exactly, and screw from above through grate holes.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Earlier in the thread, I had mentioned to someone who had asked about the Fractal Design "expandable" AIOs

Your talk of expandable AIOs and block-mounted pumps gave me a crazy idea.

That's a DC-LT 2600 with a plexi pump top and a right angle fitting. It physically fits, but there's no way to secure it to the case unless I get REALLY creative with 3D printing. However it is a pump IN THE CASE with fittings going to other directions that FIT. Think that little DC-LT 2600 can run it? It's the same pump in that Eisbaer LT Solo.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Any ideas?

Never been a fan of Corsair's stock fans. Of course their ML fans are nice, but overpriced. Noctuas will be an improvement over stock, but if you want to save cash you can find other good 120mm fans for cheaper, e.g. Arctic F12 come to around $6 or less a fan in a 5 pack. Supposedly they aren't very reliable, but I don't recall having any issues with them (though admittedly I do rebuilds and new builds too often to test long-term reliability of fans); there are enough reviews on Amazon and elsewhere to get some idea and draw your own conclusions on this, though. They aren't the highest static pressure fans, either, but good enough from testing I've seen and my own experience (at least on Arctic's own Freezer AIO) and very quiet. Also great to have extra on hand when you need a case fan (and don't want to sacrifice a Noctua :p).

Last edited:

Polski03

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
I just bought the ASRock Phantom Gaming board this morning with a 9700k at Newegg as the 9700k just dropped to $350 on sale. Combo subtracts extra $15, I believe there was a 9600k bundle as well.

Why the ASRock board?
  • Best VRM
  • Thunderbolt 3 (only 20gbps but better than a sharp stick in the eye)
  • Lots of IO
  • Two m.2 slots
According to Buildzoid and OptimumTech it's the only sensible choice for z390 itx.

EDIT: Added citation links for the two reviews
Damn I was looking for the i5 9600k with the phantom gaming motherboard.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16TZR (B-die, 16GB) or F4-3200C16D-32GTZ (non B-die, 32GB) for a rendering machine with a 3700X? They're both at the $150ish range so I'm not really sure which to go with.

Depends a lot on what you're editing. If it's at 1080p the 16 gigs of B-die will probably give you optimal performance. If you do 4K editing though, the performance bump you'll gain from slightly faster RAM will pale in comparison to what you'll lose from simply not having enough. If it's in your budget, 32GB of B-Die RAM can be gotten for not too terribly much more at $238. That's about a 50% increase in price for a 100% increase in capacity over the 16GB B-die kit.

Wolt87

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 25, 2019
First of all, apologies if this has been asked or if the info is otherwise available in pics I might have missed.

For owners of any of these cases with windowed side panels, do you have any concerns with PSU ventilation? By my estimation there's barely a centimeter, if that, between the PSU and the side panel?

Could someone give a rough estimate of how much space there is between the two?

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
First of all, apologies if this has been asked or if the info is otherwise available in pics I might have missed.

For owners of any of these cases with windowed side panels, do you have any concerns with PSU ventilation? By my estimation there's barely a centimeter, if that, between the PSU and the side panel?

Could someone give a rough estimate of how much space there is between the two?

The only problem I've seen anyone report with PSU temps so far is one owner who found that having the PSU fan facing the GPU compartment resulted in the PSU being hot to the touch. I haven't seen anyone report issues while having it face the panel.

Reactions: Wolt87

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Your talk of expandable AIOs and block-mounted pumps gave me a crazy idea.

That's a DC-LT 2600 with a plexi pump top and a right angle fitting. It physically fits, but there's no way to secure it to the case unless I get REALLY creative with 3D printing. However it is a pump IN THE CASE with fittings going to other directions that FIT. Think that little DC-LT 2600 can run it? It's the same pump in that Eisbaer LT Solo.
Would you do us all a favor and test it out? I don't know if the DC-LT pump can push water through two radiators, a CPU block, and a GPU block. I have seen people online do it successfully, but talking to support at Aquatuning they seem to recommend no more than one radiator and two blocks. Even if you are unsuccessful mounting it in the case, I would love to know if that pump has enough juice to push two rads and two blocks.
That exact pump is indeed what is in the eisbaer LT.

Reactions: Bioforce

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Would you do us all a favor and test it out? I don't know if the DC-LT pump can push water through two radiators, a CPU block, and a GPU block. I have seen people online do it successfully, but talking to support at Aquatuning they seem to recommend no more than one radiator and two blocks. Even if you are unsuccessful mounting it in the case, I would love to know if that pump has enough juice to push two rads and two blocks.

I'd be interested in this as well. I would imagine that pump is probably similar in performance to what's on my Silent Loop 280. It would be great news to see someone successfully run a full loop with an AIO pump.

LSDemise

Caliper Novice
Jun 7, 2019
Glad for you! I played a ton of Skyrim and Fallout on Rift, but the control mappings for Index are unplayable for both at the moment and Bethesda is ignoring those games (and never even released FO4 DLC for the VR edition) so I don't expect much there. Arizona Sunshine, Space Pirate Trainer, Budget Cuts, H3VR (Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades) and SUPERHOT are all fun VR games.

It's funny: I have a big sit-down gaming rig and a VR rig because I don't have space to play VR where I have my desk and I don't have space for a desk where I play VR and in the San Francisco bay, it's cheaper to have two PCs than it is to have a bigger apartment.

Haha I’m in the same boat. My gaming/music production set up is in the basement, but if I did VR there I’d punch through the ceiling, so my VR space is upstairs. Two PCs was just easier and gave me an excuse to build. Real shame on Skyrim controls for index tho.... I just bought that last week. Haven’t modded/booted it yet so I guess I’ll wait. I’ve been playing Audica and Superhot for the time being.

Reactions: thoughtfix

cmill

Caliper Novice
May 21, 2019
Well I came here to celebrate that I got my tracking number... then I heard the news about the H115i RGB not fitting... I got the H115i RGB Platinum so maybe there is a chance? It has squared off corners though so it's not looking good

Guess I'll find out in the next few days if it fits, or if I can make it fit without modding things

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Well I came here to celebrate that I got my tracking number... then I heard the news about the H115i RGB not fitting... I got the H115i RGB Platinum so maybe there is a chance? It has squared off corners though so it's not looking good

Guess I'll find out in the next few days if it fits, or if I can make it fit without modding things

People have suggested that mounting it in a pull configuration with the fans between the case and the radiator would allow it to be mounted.

Reactions: cmill

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019

I'm worried about that too. I'll report back with the results and already have that Eisbaer Solo LT ordered anyway.

Reactions: ermac318

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
Wow, I'm loving all this creative water cooling work, this stuff is awesome! I'm also looking forward to seeing how performance is with double rads, one set of fans, and a AIO pump.

I've got bad news though, even with the side panel off my stupid Powercolor RX580 still reaches 85C within seconds under gaming load and begins throttling. I tried undervolting and it did NOT like that at all, even dropping from 1100mv to 1075mv immediately caused the outputs to freak out. Before the Sliger, I had this GPU in an NCase M1 with fans directly on it, and it throttled even then, so it's just a shite cooler on this GPU.

To counter balance that crappiness, my DDR4 3200MHz CL16 kit of E-die memory is 100% stable at 3733MHz CL 18 with the fabric clock set to 1867 MHz for that sweet, sweet 1:1 ratio. I ran Prime95 memory testing overnight on 14/16GB of memory and didn't have a single error, while the average temp on the Asetek 545LT was 65C for the entire duration of the run, with the max temp getting up to 82C.

Reactions: rfarmer

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Wow, I'm loving all this creative water cooling work, this stuff is awesome! I'm also looking forward to seeing how performance is with double rads, one set of fans, and a AIO pump.

I've got bad news though, even with the side panel off my stupid Powercolor RX580 still reaches 85C within seconds under gaming load and begins throttling. I tried undervolting and it did NOT like that at all, even dropping from 1100mv to 1075mv immediately caused the outputs to freak out. Before the Sliger, I had this GPU in an NCase M1 with fans directly on it, and it throttled even then, so it's just a shite cooler on this GPU.

To counter balance that crappiness, my DDR4 3200MHz CL16 kit of E-die memory is 100% stable at 3733MHz CL 18 with the fabric clock set to 1867 MHz for that sweet, sweet 1:1 ratio. I ran Prime95 memory testing overnight on 14/16GB of memory and didn't have a single error, while the average temp on the Asetek 545LT was 65C for the entire duration of the run, with the max temp getting up to 82C.
You aren't the only one with issues with that card. Someone on Reddit fitted the Accelero Xtreme IV on an RX480 (should be compatible between the cards, they are essentially the same). If you have an SM580 with 3 slots for graphics, you should fit that cooler fine.

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
You aren't the only one with issues with that card. Someone on Reddit fitted the Accelero Xtreme IV on an RX480 (should be compatible between the cards, they are essentially the same). If you have an SM580 with 3 slots for graphics, you should fit that cooler fine.
I already have a Morpheus II sitting around that I tried and failed to fit onto the card...maybe I should look into selling that off and getting an Accelero instead. But at the same time, I don't really want to put more money into a card that I definitely want to replace.

Last edited:

Polski03

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
No no, I got the top off, but the top looks like it should separate into another two parts, but doesn't, making accessing the radiator rack/grill impossible except like this:
1. Put screw near "rail" from underside
2. Drop screw into rail, so it's pointing down towards radiator holes
3. Position radiator exactly, and screw from above through grate holes.
I saw how you managed to mount your radiators. I'm curious to see how someone with the 280mm radiators get mounted. It doesnt seem that there is a way to removed the mounting bracket. Not an issue for me since I'm only mounting a 240mm up there anyway

Reactions: Alexnader

tuanster1119

Caliper Novice
Mar 14, 2019
I already have a Morpheus II sitting around that I tried and failed to fit onto the card...maybe I should look into selling that off and getting an Accelero instead. But at the same time, I don't really want to put more money into a card that I definitely want to replace.

Yikes, sorry to hear that your temps are still high without the panel on. It seems that AMD cards tend to run warm and the 5700 and XT seem to continue that trend. I was constantly stressing about temps when I had a Asus Strix Vega 64. I tried replacing the fan with 15mm Noctuas, and messing with fan curves. Eventually I gave up and sold the Vega 64 and went with a 2070. Wow what a world of difference, the card ran cooler overall, was quiet and hit all its boost targets. While the 2070, at the time, was not a great value proposition the efficiency was worth the added cost for me.