Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
Got my case. Here is my reddit post (kinda empty, but has the huge album of 60+ photos and still going).

edit: Sorry guys, had no clue I linked to just a picture and not the whole album. Fixed now.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountNoctua

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16TZR (B-die, 16GB) or F4-3200C16D-32GTZ (non B-die, 32GB) for a rendering machine with a 3700X? They're both at the $150ish range so I'm not really sure which to go with.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Max out the board with 32GB day one is my advice. Especially for a work machine. C16 3200 is fine and for real work I go with quantity first as far as Ram goes.

my 2c

Reactions: CountNoctua

Polski03

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
Got my case. Here is my reddit post (kinda empty, but has the huge album of 60+ photos and still going).
I only see the one picture in the imgur link. I also have the i7-7700k but im going to switch to the i5-9600k since i cant find a good itx mobo to go with it and I am not getting the ryzen only because I do not want to deal w/ the early adopter issues people are going through atm.

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
Max out the board with 32GB day one is my advice. Especially for a work machine. C16 3200 is fine and for real work I go with quantity first as far as Ram goes.

my 2c

Gotcha. So Ryzen 2's infinity fabric isn't really dependent on RAM speed and timings anymore? The system will be used for light/medium rendering.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I just bought the ASRock Phantom Gaming board this morning with a 9700k at Newegg as the 9700k just dropped to $350 on sale. Combo subtracts extra $15, I believe there was a 9600k bundle as well.

Why the ASRock board?
  • Best VRM
  • Thunderbolt 3 (only 20gbps but better than a sharp stick in the eye)
  • Lots of IO
  • Two m.2 slots
According to Buildzoid and OptimumTech it's the only sensible choice for z390 itx.

EDIT: Added citation links for the two reviews

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Gotcha. So Ryzen 2's infinity fabric isn't really dependent on RAM speed and timings anymore? The system will be used for light/medium rendering.

There have been a few sites testing Ram speeds/timings on Ryzen 2 but personally 3000 or better c16 or better.I would wager that only in bench marking would most anyone notice a difference. Just my opinon based on personal experience.

Here is an interesting thread on [H] where a guy tested ram on a 3600x in gaming.

https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen...s-2133-2400-2933-3200-3733-4000-4200.1984369/

I feel that having the fastest possible ram is nice but a bit overblown as the right amount of ram followed by stability and finally speed is what I look at for projects and workloads that take a while and crashing is not an option.

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
I only see the one picture in the imgur link. I also have the i7-7700k but im going to switch to the i5-9600k since i cant find a good itx mobo to go with it and I am not getting the ryzen only because I do not want to deal w/ the early adopter issues people are going through atm.
Fixed link, sorry about that.

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
Hey @KSliger how are we supposed to attach the radiators to the "under frame" if the top grill doesn't come off ? I've found a way, but it's a complete and utter nightmare of balancing and screwing through the grill after pre-putting the srews into the guidelanes ... I must be doing something wrong here.

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Hey @KSliger how are we supposed to attach the radiators to the "under frame" if the top grill doesn't come off ? I've found a way, but it's a complete and utter nightmare of balancing and screwing through the grill after pre-putting the srews into the guidelanes ... I must be doing something wrong here.
The top grill comes off. There are two screws behind the front panel near the top and two more on the upper corners in the back with the side panels removed.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Just curious if anyone who is still waiting got tracking numbers today? I wasn't so lucky...

I haven't either, but I also requested cancelation of my order and am still waiting for refund..I mean if it hasn't shipped yet, there's no reason why I shouldn't take advantage of the quakecon coupon ..

Reactions: Rmorrison

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
My SM570 case just arrived (ground shipping still got it to me overnight because there's a good path from Sparks NV to SF) and it is gorgeous and well made, but my plan was an absolute failure. (All links are images)

While it is a great deal smaller than my old case with dual AIOs, I could not make it work. I pulled the hardware out of my old case, installed the waterblocks, then set on getting my radiators to fit. The top was a breeze thanks to the removable bracket, but the bottom simply would not fit. This case is NOT made for a lower radiator. Not one to shy from a challenge, I removed the side of my radiator to get just a tiny bit more clearance and slid it in - scuffing the radiator and case in the process. I was able to reattach the side once it was under the motherboard plate. The lower fan screw holes do not line up to a 240mm rad either. Motherboard was a tight squeeze because it's the kind with the preattached backplate. Just a bit of a shove got it to work. It looks great with hardware, and my massive 1080 Ti FTW3 card even fit, but that was when I hit a wall. That GPU is just WAY. TOO. BIG. There is literally nowhere I could wedge even the smallest pump I own into the case.

I am sad. I dinged up the inside of this too much to exchange it for a 580 and I don't even know if that radiator will ever come out without destroying it. I can't afford to replace the 1080 Ti FTW3 (don't buy this - it's too big) for this project. Now my VR PC is down for the count with my brand new headset offline.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
My SM570 case just arrived (ground shipping still got it to me overnight because there's a good path from Sparks NV to SF) and it is gorgeous and well made, but my plan was an absolute failure. (All links are images)

While it is a great deal smaller than my old case with dual AIOs, I could not make it work. I pulled the hardware out of my old case, installed the waterblocks, then set on getting my radiators to fit. The top was a breeze thanks to the removable bracket, but the bottom simply would not fit. This case is NOT made for a lower radiator. Not one to shy from a challenge, I removed the side of my radiator to get just a tiny bit more clearance and slid it in - scuffing the radiator and case in the process. I was able to reattach the side once it was under the motherboard plate. The lower fan screw holes do not line up to a 240mm rad either. Motherboard was a tight squeeze because it's the kind with the preattached backplate. Just a bit of a shove got it to work. It looks great with hardware, and my massive 1080 Ti FTW3 card even fit, but that was when I hit a wall. That GPU is just WAY. TOO. BIG. There is literally nowhere I could wedge even the smallest pump I own into the case.

I am sad. I dinged up the inside of this too much to exchange it for a 580 and I don't even know if that radiator will ever come out without destroying it. I can't afford to replace the 1080 Ti FTW3 (don't buy this - it's too big) for this project. Now my VR PC is down for the count with my brand new headset offline.

What's the thickness of the rad on the bottom? The XSPC TX240 is only 20mm thick, and I bet that's your only chance of getting a rad+fans under there. That said, if you're just hoping to have air drawn through from the upper fans, I wish you luck...

If you're trying to salvage your build - go grab the Alphacool Eisbaer LT (solo) pump/block combo. You can only buy the pump/block itself in the US, as an "AIO" made with it isn't available due to Asetek patents (as far as I can tell). That should solve your pump problem as long as you can solve your reservoir problem with using the upper rad as your res.

On a semi-related note...

Earlier in the thread, I had mentioned to someone who had asked about the Fractal Design "expandable" AIOs and I said that they weren't good enough because they're Asetek based. I was only partially correct. The Fractal Design Celsius family are Asetek-based. It appears in territories outside the US, there is a Fractal Design Kelvin family, and these are essentially rebranded Alphacool Eisbaer LT units (they look absolutely identical save the logos and fans). I thought for a minute this was my ticket to getting the full expandable AIO here in the states but sadly the Kelvins don't appear to be available here, same as with the Alphacool Eisbaer LT kits.

So for those not in the States looking to use the Kelvin S24 in an SM570 or SM580 build, that should handle a GPU block added to the loop with no problem. My apologies for potentially misinforming people!

Last edited:

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019

I really was hoping the sm580 could fit a bottom radiator. the 580 is 6.1 inches that comes out to 154.94mm the evga hybrid cards come with a 120 aio that has a radiator 154mm long. i was thinking of chopping one sideof the case to fit the radiator in sideways but ive had too many hassles already with this build.

im also jealous that you got your case. im also in the bay area.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
What's the thickness of the rad on the bottom? The XSPC TX240 is only 20mm thick, and I bet that's your only chance of getting a rad+fans under there. That said, if you're just hoping to have air drawn through from the upper fans, I wish you luck...

If you're trying to salvage your build - go grab the Alphacool Eisbaer LT (solo) pump/block combo.

That's an EKWB slim 240 on the bottom that will run without fans. I am going to pull air up through the bottom to the top and use 3D printed bits so the only intake is through the bottom. It won't be as efficient as a double-thick 240mm, but will be much better than a single 240 with two sets of fans. You were a step ahead of me - I already ordered the LT Solo from modmymods and hope to have it early next week. Even my DC-LT 2600 with the mini reservoir top is too big for this case with that massive 1080 Ti FTW3 card in there. If there was a short 2080 Ti with a waterblock available, I'd be tempted to get that instead and give my brother a massive upgrade over his 1050 Ti that I sent him last year. Still have to figure out if I can even run a reservoir in there since it won't be above the pump, but I'll work on it even if I have to fill it sideways or use a little bit of tube as a res.

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
Exactly what I've been trying to say. The hot air rises concept doesn't really apply with computer cases with fans.

Where and how did you get a deal for thst AIO again? This is the best Corsair 240mm AIO among their choices, right?

@All
If I buy a Corsair 240mm AIO and replace their fans with Noctua ones, will I get significantly better cooling performance?

If so, can I use the included fand as bottom case fans for the SM570 and be golden instead of buying more Noctua fans that will just act as bottom case fans? Trying to save a little bit of money here.

Any ideas?

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
The top grill comes off. There are two screws behind the front panel near the top and two more on the upper corners in the back with the side panels removed.
No no, I got the top off, but the top looks like it should separate into another two parts, but doesn't, making accessing the radiator rack/grill impossible except like this:
1. Put screw near "rail" from underside
2. Drop screw into rail, so it's pointing down towards radiator holes
3. Position radiator exactly, and screw from above through grate holes.