Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
What do you need a PCIe 4.0 riser for? I asked this same question and quickly realized it was irrelevant. PCIe bandwidth on GPUs is complete overkill at the moment. You don't need even 8 lanes of PCIe gen 3 to run any single GPU at full speed. All PCIe4 is good for at the moment is IO like SSDs that can actually saturate their links, and the only reason this becomes relevant to SSDs is because the M.2 form factor only has enough traces for 4 lanes, so M.2 slots are doubling in speed. If they were PCIe-attached in 8x or 16x slots, the jump to PCIe4 would be irrelevant.

Also, the PCIe Bifurcation case makes all this even more messy. The Bifurcation risers I believe need two cards running at the same PCIe speed to function properly, so I don't think you can even do one 8x slot at PCIe gen4 and one 8x slot at PCIe gen 3, but who knows since the whole "standard" is poorly documented.
So don't get wrapped around the axles on PCIe4 risers. The only place it seems to matter right now are on M.2 SSDs, and generally speaking these don't need risers.

It's not a matter of need. I simply have no reason not to use a PCIE 4.0 cable.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Maybe is the same PCI riser... I don't know...

EDIT: Confirmed!!! Is the same or compatible

Those are the same risers currently in the SM cases. So either they found a way to make these work with 4.0, or that seller is full of it.

Hi @Alur .

Jun, 3rd talk with @KSliger by email and said me that send to Spain have cost likely $80...

Can you check what it is now?

Reactions: JaPeMo

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I wasn't aware of changes being needed to a riser to support 4x but I do remember it being said the current one that ships with the case was not compatible. That being said, if a current riser would work at 4.0x8, it's still the same as 3.0x16.
I don't care about the riser at this point in time. I bought the case before 4x was available. I'll get a cable when I need it.
No big deal.
Also, not discounting the fact that maybe someone else cares. =)

Edit
Here is a link I found talking about cooler compatibility on the upcoming x570 boards. Doesn't look good as we thought was the case and apparently, Asus itx boards will be delayed a month after x570 launch.

Last edited:

WGD118

Cable Smoosher
May 21, 2019
BAD NEWS: price on the SM cases had to be increased due to tariffs on the risers and front panel boards (cannot find a supplier outside of China for these) and the % requirement that NewEgg will take.

SM550 is now $219

SM560 is now $229

SM570 will be $259

SM580 will be $269

GOOD NEWS: FREE US SHIPPING (and international rates should be substantially cheaper!)

Example shipment to UK for an SM560 decreased from $54 shipping to $21.

UPS should be an option for international customers shortly as well.

Ouch, I think it might be getting out of my range at this point, especially when you add another $20 for the handle, well that is a bummer.

JaPeMo

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
Those are the same risers currently in the SM cases. So either they found a way to make these work with 4.0, or that seller is full of it.

Can you check what it is now?

OMG!!!!! This price for SM560 is COOOL, for SM580 don't up much more...

JaPeMo

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
@KSliger I think that, you must put riser like a option. I said why...

I dont said for PCIe 4.0.

I said for prices and export/import taxes buyer must paid

For example, in Spain buyers can buy same riser. If case come without riser, cases declared price for taxes is lower, the price for taxes is lower. Buyer paid lower taxes... I better.

I think that is better by this problem...

This is only a suggestion and recomendation to down price declared taxes to export/import your cases...

?

When you insert SM580 to buy in your web?

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I recall Ksliger saying that the front USB ports would likely use a 3.0 connector for both. I'm unfamiliar with all the new USB standards. If I use a motherboard with a USB 3.2 header, will I require an adapter, or are the headers backwards compatible?

LSDemise

Caliper Novice
Jun 7, 2019
I recall Ksliger saying that the front USB ports would likely use a 3.0 connector for both. I'm unfamiliar with all the new USB standards. If I use a motherboard with a USB 3.2 header, will I require an adapter, or are the headers backwards compatible?

I was thinking about this too, I have no idea what headers are needed for what situation. I’m getting the x570 I aorus pro wifi which says it has a “Rear USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C™ Header”. I think that would work for the case usb c port? But it says rear so I’m not sure if that’s just an internal port.

Will have a handle!
Yaaaayyyyy!

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Will the SM570 be shorter in height than the Ncase M1 ?

No it is considerably taller, but much more narrow.

Depends on the motherboard, so we will offer either front panel for selection on check out.

@KSliger I think that, you must put riser like a option. I said why...

I dont said for PCIe 4.0.

I said for prices and export/import taxes buyer must paid

For example, in Spain buyers can buy same riser. If case come without riser, cases declared price for taxes is lower, the price for taxes is lower. Buyer paid lower taxes... I better.

I think that is better by this problem...

This is only a suggestion and recomendation to down price declared taxes to export/import your cases...

?

When you insert SM580 to buy in your web?

I could make it an option but will only save you maybe $5?

Very soon!

Ouch, I think it might be getting out of my range at this point, especially when you add another $20 for the handle, well that is a bummer.

Even with the free shipping? What country you in?

Reactions: Sahaj and Talyrius

XFC3

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2019
@KSliger To any Sliger associates,

Is there any option to pre-order the SM580 as of now? Or do we currently have to wait for it to be available in store?

Thanks in advance

Scoobth

Case Bender
Jun 16, 2019
@KSliger

I noticed a number of people ask about high end cpu cooling... What possibility is there in the future of adding another side panel variation for the SM550/560 which has a "raised" or "bulging" side to allow for larger CPU coolers? (maybe another 15-20mm over MB area)

Sell it as an optional panel like the rest?

Reactions: 1s44c

ghancock792

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 17, 2019
@KSliger

I noticed a number of people ask about high end cpu cooling... What possibility is there in the future of adding another side panel variation for the SM550/560 which has a "raised" or "bulging" side to allow for larger CPU coolers? (maybe another 15-20mm over MB area)

Or could make a "side hat" like Loque Ghost tops/bottoms...?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger

The 550 and 560 are going to stay pretty much as is. The vertical version of this layout, SV540, will be for 70mm tall CPU coolers. There's also the SV590 for 360mm AIOs. (for that sweet SFF 3950X).

@KSliger To any Sliger associates,

Is there any option to pre-order the SM580 as of now? Or do we currently have to wait for it to be available in store?

Thanks in advance

I hope to have the SM570 and SM580 pre-order page up by the end of next week. Pushing all our effort right now to get caught up on SM560 production that is behind.

all SM560 orders are delayed and expected to ship on 6/21

For everyone that bought an SM560 they are delayed until Friday, had a problem in production that will be fixed by Thursday. This new batch of SM560 will have a few fixes for better airflow and card mounting, plus adding support for the upcoming 2x 3.5" HDD or 120mm AIO bracket (requires ITX GPU).