Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Thatoe

Cable Smoosher
Sep 15, 2018
@Nanook How did the 2080 Ti XC fare with the unvented/window panel?

Also, judging from the picture, BS3 limits RAM height? My Trident Zs won't fit then...

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
@Nanook How did the 2080 Ti XC fare with the unvented/window panel?

Also, judging from the picture, BS3 limits RAM height? My Trident Zs won't fit then...
The 2080ti XC (alight auto OC, can’t remember what magnitude of OC) gets about 80c with windowed panel, and 70s without panel. I predict mid 70s for the vented panel. Will confirm next week.

I believe Trident Z will not fit with the BS3.

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
One thing I saw in the photos was that it looks like you have power cables between the fan and the heatsink? That could be disrupting the air flow before it gets to the BS3, maybe try moving those around and see if it marginally helps? Other than that, yeah, passively cooling a 100W+ TDP chip is going to be difficult.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
One thing I saw in the photos was that it looks like you have power cables between the fan and the heatsink? That could be disrupting the air flow before it gets to the BS3, maybe try moving those around and see if it marginally helps? Other than that, yeah, passively cooling a 100W+ TDP chip is going to be difficult.
Yes that the 8pin EPS cable. It’s sitting on the perimeter of the 120mm fan, so it shouldn’t impact airflow too much.

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
@KSliger - any chance you'll make vector files available for the SM550's acrylic window for those of us looking to customize? I saw you posted a technical drawing a few pages back, but I'm not familiar with the measurement method being used (seems kinda like ordinate, but not quite - forgive my ignorance). Would really appreciate a vector file (.eps/.ai/etc.), or direction to further information of the measurement method of the drawing.

Reactions: Sahaj

Thatoe

Cable Smoosher
Sep 15, 2018
@wsgroves looks like Trident Z on your build fit because the cooler is rotated 180 degress compared to Nanook's build where the cooler hangs over the RAMs.
I wonder if the BS3 will fit in the same orientation as yours in ASRock Z390...

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
@Thatoe you are correct. It fits in the orientation I have it. I am using the Intel mounting bracket because it is the only way to allow the fins to be vertical on am4. Normally you cant use the Intel bracket but the BS 3, oddly enough, has the same extra bracket that comes with their Fuma cooler. The normal mount will work but not with the taller ram.it's been awhile since I tested it but it will work with Corsair lpx.it clamps down on the memory some and puts the cooler and a little bit of an angle but it works. It's really hard to find a cooler to use with am4 because vertical fin placement is rare.

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017
Appreciate the detail you early adopters are bringing to the thread. Still pondering the best choice for a semi-passive build... I wonder how the Cryorig C7G (upcoming graphene variant) would look and perform without its fan? Hrmm.

Oh, and @KSliger, I know you're probably still hard at work on the 570 and 580... But any updated thoughts on the handle top? :)

Reactions: Bioforce

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
@KSliger Any chance you can do thermal testing with a blower-style GPU, like a Pascal Founder's Edition card? I'm wondering if the intake on the blower will have sufficient clearance to get enough air, and whether the negative pressure created by one would mess with the upward airflow too much.

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
@KSliger Any chance you can do thermal testing with a blower-style GPU, like a Pascal Founder's Edition card? I'm wondering if the intake on the blower will have sufficient clearance to get enough air, and whether the negative pressure created by one would mess with the upward airflow too much.

I'm not Ksliger, but I'll be running testing with a SM550 and a FE GTX 1080; both with a solid side panel and a ducted one to isolate the air path for the GPU. See my a50 review for my ducting "philosophy". IMHO this will be the best performance for the case, since it essentially removes the GPU (sans heat from backplate) from the thermals of the case. All the while without having to worry about turbulence from the side panel affecting the efficiency of the GPU cooler.

Last edited:

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I'm not Ksliger, but I'll be running testing with a SM550 and a FE GTX 1080; both with a solid side panel and a ducted one to isolate the air path for the GPU. See my a50 review for my ducting "philosophy". IMHO this will be the best performance for the case, since it essentially removes the GPU (sans heat from backplate) from the thermals of the case. All the while without having to worry about turbulence from the side panel affecting the efficiency of the GPU cooler.
So to be clear - you have a vented side panel next to the GPU? What about the all-closed configuration with only updraft fans on the bottom?

EDIT: Went and looked at your thread, very cool! I'm hoping however that I wouldn't need the vented side panel, and hoping that the GPU would still get enough air. Based on the thermal testing with an open air cooler, it seems like this doesn't matter (window vs vented for GPU) but I'm curious if that changes for the blower card.

Last edited:

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I am at my wits end with these Strix B450-i boards btw. First one has front panel usb problem. Second one had random disconnect usb problems. This one was DOA and didnt recognize cpu. Put the old one back in with usb issues as Amazon are being pricks atm.

rjeftw

Trash Compacter
Feb 4, 2019
I am at my wits end with these Strix B450-i boards btw. First one has front panel usb problem. Second one had random disconnect usb problems. This one was DOA and didnt recognize cpu. Put the old one back in with usb issues as Amazon are being pricks atm.

Man, that's rough. Thinking of swapping to something else?

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
EDIT: Went and looked at your thread, very cool! I'm hoping however that I wouldn't need the vented side panel, and hoping that the GPU would still get enough air. Based on the thermal testing with an open air cooler, it seems like this doesn't matter (window vs vented for GPU) but I'm curious if that changes for the blower card.

Keep in mind that ducted is much different than vented in terms of concept and performance. With a properly constructed duct, you can expect temps similar to a free air workbench (or better if you optimize airflow) since whatever you're ducting does not interface with the hot/turbulent case air. Free air GPUs are a bit more difficult to duct since they have more fan area, but can still be done. That being said, ducting blower cards are easier since the fan area is small. Ducting was pretty ghetto in the past, but with 3d printing and CNC cutting, it's much easier to construct custom ducts that perform very well.

I'm also curious to see if there is a way to better force air over the large CPU heatsinks people are using without a mounted fan. Simply putting the heatsink in the general path of airflow isn't an optimal way of getting air THROUGH the heatsink, especially with densely packed fins. Fin spacing has a direct correlation with ability to cool with less directed airflow, which is why the old Scythe Ninja did so well. More to check out once my case gets here.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
@devinkato I think, at least in my case, the BS 3 cooler in the Strix b450i is a perfect match with my fans. It literally rests on the fans and there is no where for the air to go except through part of the heatsink at least.
@rjeftw I am just getting another replacement and waiting for the new boards to release

I tried the l9i for a few mins before the board decided to die. Fan was pretty loud. Not sure if I'll test it again or not.
I should add that I slapped on a Arctic fan made it taller. It was relatively close to the plexiglass so maybe it was having trouble getting air.

E0000B6FAF25838

Caliper Novice
Mar 28, 2019
@devinkato I think, at least in my case, the BS 3 cooler in the Strix b450i is a perfect match with my fans. It literally rests on the fans and there is no where for the air to go except through part of the heatsink at least.
@rjeftw I am just getting another replacement and waiting for the new boards to release

I tried the l9i for a few mins before the board decided to die. Fan was pretty loud. Not sure if I'll test it again or not.
I should add that I slapped on a Arctic fan made it taller. It was relatively close to the plexiglass so maybe it was having trouble getting air.

Just got my Strix B450i from Amazon the other day. Haven't hooked it up yet, cause I was just gonna wait for the case, but now you've got me nervous. I'll have to hook everything up after work tomorrow.

Reactions: wsgroves