Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

TheHawk1337

Efficiency Noob
Jul 23, 2018
What is the max GPU width what would fit in the 560? Asking because some aftermarket cards extend past the second slot, causing issues with DAN A4.

talkion

Chassis Packer
Mar 10, 2017
Could you fit a 120mm AIO in the SM560? I don't think @KSliger confirmed that. I would think that most 120mm AIOs are too thick to fit under there. The benefit of the 92mm is both its area and width, plus a 14mm fan option to make it even thinner. But if one could put a 120mm AIO under the graphics card in the SM560, then that's even better, and I'm sold!
I asked him that question on Reddit; here's what he said

"
Vent pattern on the bottom is all wrong for any AIO.

Designed the bottom vent pattern to strictly be for 2x 120mm for the airflow to work with window panels / unvented panels.

Any extra holes in the bottom causes the case to not be positive pressure. Case must have positive pressure to force air through the GPU/CPU/PSU and out the top.

"

I assume it's because an AIO would jut into the space needed for the second fan.

I wonder if a 240mm AIO with one fan (like an A12x25 on the front side) is viable though lol

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Tested the SM550 with the fans removed on my overclocked MSI GAMING Z RTX 2070, and no fan on the 9600K running 4.4GHz using a be quiet! Shadow Rock LP cooler.

Tested aida64 and Superposition at the same (100% GPU and 100% CPU usage)

10 hours straight at <80C

Perfectly quiet, plug in two 120mm fans and that's all the noise this case makes.

Note this does not work with low static pressure fans - will need to use fans like Noctua NF-F12.

I used two Cooler Master fans off my Nepton 280L for this test, these fans do not have a part number, but here's their spec.

Results could be improved with better thermal paste (I use really cheap bulk paste) a different CPU cooler (the Shadow Rock LP has a space block between the heatpipes and the CPU die) and then obviously, de-lid.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Tested the SM550 with the fans removed on my overclocked MSI GAMING Z RTX 2070, and no fan on the 9600K running 4.4GHz using a be quiet! Shadow Rock LP cooler.

Perfectly quiet, plug in two 120mm fans and that's all the noise this case makes.

Is the photo showing the software suite correct that the fans were running at 2500 rpm? That seems pretty high for most 120mm (Noctua ippc-3000's not-withstanding).

Otherwise, awesome to see that the system can stay nice and cool with intake fans only.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Is the photo showing the software suite correct that the fans were running at 2500 rpm? That seems pretty high for most 120mm (Noctua ippc-3000's not-withstanding).

Otherwise, awesome to see that the system can stay nice and cool with intake fans only.

Not sure because the software said 2500rpm regardless of what speed I set them too, it's also 100rpm above what the specs say are possible.

So there will be a distributor for EU region? Any info on the timeline? That's great news regardless!

I would anticipate August to be honest, maybe as late as October if there's any problems. We have to get CE testing done, which is going to take a while.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016

Note this does not work with low static pressure fans - will need to use fans like Noctua NF-F12.

I used two Cooler Master fans off my Nepton 280L for this test, these fans do not have a part number, but here's their spec.

Results could be improved with better thermal paste (I use really cheap bulk paste) a different CPU cooler (the Shadow Rock LP has a space block between the heatpipes and the CPU die) and then obviously, de-lid.
Are you trying to get me to buy a third case from Sliger?!?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
What is the max GPU width what would fit in the 560? Asking because some aftermarket cards extend past the second slot, causing issues with DAN A4.

SM560 could do up to 3 slot cards

SM550 I would only use a 2 slot card

Reactions: Nanook

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Maybe a 5th, 6th, 10th, and 20th too.
Ball’s in your court :)
Would a future rev with pair of fans on the top and bottom (4 120s total), be a possibility ? Or are the pair of bottom intakes sufficient for the passive cooling... have you tried it with top fans in a prototype? (I haven’t fully read the previous 380 posts to check the development process, but I will when I have time :)

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
Would a future rev with pair of fans on the top and bottom (4 120s total), be a possibility ? Or are the pair of bottom intakes sufficient for the passive cooling... have you tried it with top fans in a prototype? (I haven’t fully read the previous 380 posts to check the development process, but I will when I have time :)

The 570 and 580 are going to have two fans on the bottom, and space for a 240/280mm radiator+fans on top respectively. It'd be easy to not use a radiator if staying air-cooled was your preference, but those are the cases to look for!

MoarCoffeePlzzz

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 2, 2015

This 100%. Would love to have the option to put 120's in the top and bottom.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger

Will these be available 3/18 on Newegg.. if not do you have a projected date?

Cerberus on Newegg next week - had too many little problems this week.

These will be on Newegg in probably late April. Want to get all 4 versions done first.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Not sure because the software said 2500rpm regardless of what speed I set them too, it's also 100rpm above what the specs say are possible.

The spec has a variance of 10% so completely normal to be this fast.

Also, Asus has a fan override. At 75c it will crank all fans to 100%, regardless of your settings.

Interesting test, but performance is pretty poor. Two fans screamming at 2500RPM you're pegged at 80C. At least it allows you to use windows though.

There is no delidding a 9600K. They come soldered.

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
The spec has a variance of 10% so completely normal to be this fast.

Also, Asus has a fan override. At 75c it will crank all fans to 100%, regardless of your settings.

Interesting test, but performance is pretty poor. Two fans screamming at 2500RPM you're pegged at 80C. At least it allows you to use windows though.

I thought that after 10 hours of torture test, the temps being less than 80c is fantastic. Maybe negative pressure might fare better, especially this tiny case. If the fan spec is correct, 27dB is audible but not intrusive... perceive sound levels are subjective, IMO I hardly call that "screaming".

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I thought that after 10 hours of torture test, the temps being less than 80c is fantastic. Maybe negative pressure might fare better, especially this tiny case. If the fan spec is correct, 27dB is audible but not intrusive... perceive sound levels are subjective, IMO I hardly call that "screaming".

Have to agree, this is stress testing I am sure normal temps would be much lower.

I am really considering the SM560 and try to passively cool the CPU and GPU, using an Arctic Accelero III.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

DB ratings are quite worthless. In my experience, fans spinning up to 1400RPM is fine. More than that it gets annoying. Most consider 2500 RPM to be loud and highly intrusive, the ones that would care about noise. There are usually few in between, people who don't care at all, and the people who are sensitive to it.

Doesn't really matter 10 hours or 30 minutes. Most air cool system reach equilibrium in like 10 minutes.

Reactions: Gautam

Shinken1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2019

You can indeed delid the 9600k and see just over a 5 degree reduction in temperature.
Intel’s soldering isn’t as good as using liquid metal.

Very interesting test. Personally I would prefer to keep my CPU cooler + GPU fans in place

Last edited:

teodoro

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 8, 2018
DB ratings are quite worthless. In my experience, fans spinning up to 1400RPM is fine. More than that it gets annoying. Most consider 2500 RPM to be loud and highly intrusive, the ones that would care about noise.
Quiet is most certainly relative, but hopefully most people can agree that a given fan at 1000RPM makes substantially less noise than the same fan at 2500RPM. I definitely concur that 80 degrees with fans of that speed are not impressive and wouldn’t be anywhere close to quiet by my standards.

I’m looking forward to some third party tests nevertheless. I wouldn’t be shocked to find that running the 120 intakes at a more reasonable speed combined with conventional gpu/cpu heatsinks + fans results in better temperatures AND noise