Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
I think if one can get the big shuriken 3 correctly oriented, that is likely the best.

It has fins that reach to the base plate, unlike other c type coolers.

Based on the videos and pictures I'm seeing, I don't think the mounting mechanism would allow the cooler orientation to work out well.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
I threw together a post on Reddit that looks at the coolers that should fit without a fan in the case, their specifications, and what I think the best performance would be out of those options.

Based on the information available, the best performing heatsinks for passive cooling, keeping in mind the 55.9mm CPU cooler height limit of the SM550/560 should be:

- Raijintek Pallas (Height and weight)

- Thermalright AXP-100 Copper (Weight and material)

- Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle (Height and heatpipe)

I have the Raijintek Pallas (although not in use now). While it does a really good job of cooling, it is one of the most frustrating coolers to install. The cross-bar slides across the cold plate and is not permanently affixed--so, it's really tough to screw it down with the low heat sink in the way. It's even difficult to attach the fan to the heat sink with the clips. Not to mention the need for low profile RAM...

Last edited:

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
I have the Raijintek Pallas (although not in use not). While it does a really good job of cooling, it is one of the most frustrating coolers to install. The cross-bar slides across the cold plate and is not permanently affixed--so, it's really tough to screw it down with the low heat sink in the way. It's even difficult to attach the fan to the heat sink with the clips. Not to mention the need for low profile RAM...

Raijintek in general has pretty awful mounting mechanisms, it's a shame when their cooling performance is so good.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger do we have renders of the rest? to drool meanwhile :)

Here's the SM580 almost done, SM570 is similar:

From what I understand there was no affordable way to get glass manufactured for this case in the USA so acrylic was the only option.

Correct - if anyone knows a glass fabricator though link us up.

@KSliger Have you considered going even smaller for future products in this line/style?
Possibly something that eschews the SFX PSU entirely for something like the @hdplex 400/800W AC-DC combo units?
Edit:
Conceivably you could shorten the case to something like a 225mm front-back GPU clearance and still have room to mount the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX right alongside the motherboard and a ZOTAC GTX 1080ti mini on the other side. It could make for a really striking, different look with the acrylic side panel.
Or you could could go out to 240mm and fit the HDPLEX 800W DC-ATX. That would still give you enough length to fit an RTX 2070.

I do not know about getting super small, maybe a nice APU case and one in a larger layout of the original SteamBox for lower noise.

Middle ground has a lot of competition with NFC, Node 202, Sentry, Velka, Modivo, etc. and then you're also competing against 1U and 2U rackmounts that are dime a dozen.

I was thinking maybe a console style case in the theme of a semi-passive cooling configuration we tested and what NCase was doing concepts of for a while. Would be 3+ months out at best for these, really want to work on the vertical air cooled and 360mm AIO cases next.

Stuck working on a DPAS DXA2 project right now.

I have the Raijintek Pallas (although not in use not). While it does a really good job of cooling, it is one of the most frustrating coolers to install. The cross-bar slides across the cold plate and is not permanently affixed--so, it's really tough to screw it down with the low heat sink in the way. It's even difficult to attach the fan to the heat sink with the clips. Not to mention the need for low profile RAM...

The Shadow Rock LP is the same, PITA mount was falling apart as I'm working with it. Also they included screws that weren't the same thread as the taps in the mounting brackets.

Really skeptical on the Pallas with an acrylic window though as it makes contact with the side panel. Could heat up, warp, deform, and possibly melt if the cooler is not getting sufficient air flow.

Working on shipping pre-orders today!

If you did preorder you might not see tracking until Friday though as we have a lot to process on top of other orders.

PM or email me if you're in a time constrained situation, will bump you up the queue.

For those that missed it:

http://www.sliger.com/products/cases/sm550/

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
By surface area this cooler wins, also seems like it does not need VLP DIMMS to work based on this image and its square shape

The mounting method I saw on an amazon review made it look like it could only be mounted with the fins perpendicular to where you'd want them for your semi-passive approach. I'd be pleasantly surprised if that wasn't the case however since NFCJosh showed it to be significantly better than a lot of other low profile coolers.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
The mounting method I saw on an amazon review made it look like it could only be mounted with the fins perpendicular to where you'd want them for your semi-passive approach. I'd be pleasantly surprised if that wasn't the case however since NFCJosh showed it to be significantly better than a lot of other low profile coolers.

Sounds like we need a custom mounting bracket!

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I threw together a post on Reddit that looks at the coolers that should fit without a fan in the case, their specifications, and what I think the best performance would be out of those options.

Based on the information available, the best performing heatsinks for passive cooling, keeping in mind the 55.9mm CPU cooler height limit of the SM550/560 should be:

- Raijintek Pallas (Height and weight)

- Thermalright AXP-100 Copper (Weight and material)

- Thermalright AXP-100H Muscle (Height and heatpipe)

@raulnorry thanks for linking the post!

I think if one can get the big shuriken 3 correctly oriented, that is likely the best.

It has fins that reach to the base plate, unlike other c type coolers.

By surface area this cooler wins, also seems like it does not need VLP DIMMS to work based on this image and its square shape:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DutDJMpUYAAAfUn?format=jpg&name=large

Thanks.
The Big Shuriken 3 is a nice looking cooler. I'll pick that one up.
I already have the AXP-100.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Nothing yet, I was going to edit the OP for this thread to be for 550/560 and make a new thread for 570/580. But might just make this one thread about all 4 since they're all so close.

2mm thick

After searching the thread for mentions of the SM580, I don't see any talk of an ETA. I see the 550 is up for preorder though. Will the 580 and others be arriving in time for the launch of the new AMD chips? The SM580 seems like it would be a strong match for the higher TDP chips.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
After searching the thread for mentions of the SM580, I don't see any talk of an ETA. I see the 550 is up for preorder though. Will the 580 and others be arriving in time for the launch of the new AMD chips? The SM580 seems like it would be a strong match for the higher TDP chips.

The 560 will be available for preorder by Monday next week

Plan to have the 570 and 580 done by 4/5 and preorders up by 4/26.

Hello Ksliger,

Congratulations so far on your design. Something I'm going to order right away when the larger ones debut. Do you have any concepts for the SM560?

Will have pictures done by hopefully Friday night, worst case Monday!

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
The 560 will be available for preorder by Monday next week

Plan to have the 570 and 580 done by 4/5 and preorders up by 4/26.

Will have pictures done by hopefully Friday night, worst case Monday!
That's magnificent. Thank you for the fast reply. Seeing the Cerberus was actually what got me interested in the whole SFF craze to begin with, so it's great to see another design from you guys coming out just in time for my new PC build. In particular it's great to see more SFF designs supporting 3 slot GPU's.

Reactions: KSliger

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019
Here's the SM580 almost done, SM570 is similar:

Correct - if anyone knows a glass fabricator though link us up.

I do not know about getting super small, maybe a nice APU case and one in a larger layout of the original SteamBox for lower noise.

Middle ground has a lot of competition with NFC, Node 202, Sentry, Velka, Modivo, etc. and then you're also competing against 1U and 2U rackmounts that are dime a dozen.

I was thinking maybe a console style case in the theme of a semi-passive cooling configuration we tested and what NCase was doing concepts of for a while. Would be 3+ months out at best for these, really want to work on the vertical air cooled and 360mm AIO cases next.

Stuck working on a DPAS DXA2 project right now.

The Shadow Rock LP is the same, PITA mount was falling apart as I'm working with it. Also they included screws that weren't the same thread as the taps in the mounting brackets.

Really skeptical on the Pallas with an acrylic window though as it makes contact with the side panel. Could heat up, warp, deform, and possibly melt if the cooler is not getting sufficient air flow.

Working on shipping pre-orders today!

If you did preorder you might not see tracking until Friday though as we have a lot to process on top of other orders.

PM or email me if you're in a time constrained situation, will bump you up the queue.

For those that missed it:

http://www.sliger.com/products/cases/sm550/
Thank you so much for the update, greatly appreciated! Now eagerly waiting for EU release to build 2 monsters, air cooler for travelling and AIO for the workstation at home.

Reactions: al007 and KSliger

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I see that the SM550 is 9.7 liters. What do you anticipate the volume of the other cases to be? I'm especially interested in the volume of the largest one, the SM580.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Based on the 580 looks, will there be some cable management space inside the case front panel ?

Yes, and some room for fitting the water cooling tubes there so they don't have to make awkward / ugly right angle hard turns across the top of the power supply like they do in the Ophion Evo.

I see that the SM550 is 9.7 liters. What do you anticipate the volume of the other cases to be? I'm especially interested in the volume of the largest one, the SM580.

SM550: 9.7L, 335mm x 139mm x 208mm

SM560: 11L, 335mm x 159mm x 208mm

SM570: 15.5L, 357mm x 150mm x 289mm (might increase a small amount)

SM580: 16.5L, 357mm x 160mm x 289mm

hwangmihee

Efficiency Noob
Mar 20, 2019
Yes, and some room for fitting the water cooling tubes there so they don't have to make awkward / ugly right angle hard turns across the top of the power supply like they do in the Ophion Evo.

SM550: 9.7L, 335mm x 139mm x 208mm

SM560: 11L, 335mm x 159mm x 208mm

SM570: 15.5L, 357mm x 150mm x 289mm (might increase a small amount)

SM580: 16.5L, 357mm x 160mm x 289mm

Everything looks good. Can't wait for the production photo and subsequent preorder for the 560!

madmaxx890

Cable Smoosher
Mar 21, 2019
@KSliger Thanks for all of the updates! I've got a preorder in for the 550 and have started to stockpile parts. I'm hoping to use the Pallas cooler mounted on the Strix Z390-I but I'm worried about one part of the fit - and hoping you can confirm a measurement for me.

The Pallas only fits in one orientation and overhangs the edge of the board by about 26mm to the tips of the heat pipes. Is there a gap that wide in the 550 between the motherboard and PSU or should I be looking for a different cooler?

If it fits, it's going to be paired with 2 nf-f12's. I'd be happy to do any testing if others are curious once the case arrives.

Reactions: Sahaj

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
I almost forgot, what about ram height for those using aio? I have Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro and it is a bit tall for rgb ram.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Love the SM580 - support for 4 140mm fans including a 280mm radiator is the kind of thing I've been waiting for!

So many people just prioritise the absolute smallest enclosure when it doesn't always make sense with the higher TDP of modern enthusiast CPU's and the growing size of modern enthusiast GPU's.

Will keep a close eye on the Sliger store at the end of April for the SM580 - any estimates on international shipping (specifically Australia)? Something similar to the Cerberus I'm assuming - but thought I'd ask.