Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Yea it for sure is pretty odd @Bioforce . It seems though that will at least be fixed quickly. Someone flashed to an earlier bios and that mostly fixed the boost issue, but not the hwmonitor errors. It does look like the benchmark scores will go up if this was happening to all of them though.

That raises another question. Are newly purchased X570 mobo's coming with the latest BIOS with the proper optimizations, or will we have to update the BIOS?

kevindd992002

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 19, 2018
I was wondering if you guys can still hwlo me with my pending questions before I bite the bullet on the SM570:

1. For an AMD board, the 19pin front panel connector is the correct choice. Is this true for all X570 AMD boards?

2. What's the best SFX PSU for the SM570?

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I was wondering if you guys can still hwlo me with my pending questions before I bite the bullet on the SM570:

1. For an AMD board, the 19pin front panel connector is the correct choice. Is this true for all X570 AMD boards?

2. What's the best SFX PSU for the SM570?

1. From what I've been told by others, there is no X570 board which supports the Type-C connector. So yes, the single 19-pin connector is the correct choice for X570.

2. "Best" is hard to say as it will depend on your requirements. Overall I would recommend the Corsair SF750 or the SF600 depending on your power requirements. If you're running a 2080 or 2080 Ti and/or if you plan to overclock it may be a good idea to do the SF750.

Last edited:

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
1. From what I've been told by others, there is no X570 board which supports the Type-C connector. So yes, the single 19-pin connector is the correct choice for X570.

2. "Best" is hard to say as it will depend on your requirements. Overall I would recommend the Corsair SF750 or the SF600 depending on your power requirements. If you're running a 2080 or 2080 Ti and/or if you plan to overclock it may be a good idea to do the SF750.

Also worth noting that the platinum rated versions of Corsair's SF series PSU's come with individually sleeved cables. If you're doing windowed panels, they look much nicer.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I assume they will not come with the updated bios that fixes the issue so a flash will be in order.
I would go with the Corsair SF750 if you don't mind spending the extra.

nes

Efficiency Noob
New User
Mar 5, 2018
Hi @KSliger,
Thank you for all your work and involvement with the community. It's been great following the evolution of this case.

I'm planning on getting a SM550 for my next build, but I really want the handle. Will the handle kit be compatible with an existing SM550 or will it require a newer version of the case? I'm wondering if I should get the case now to take advantage of the discount or wait until the handled version comes out.

Thanks!

Reactions: Sahaj and raulnorry

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018
Hey @KSliger, is there a timeline for the 550/560 handles? To finish out my Sliger build, I need to get the handle, a bifurcated riser, AIO adapters, and 2x vented side panels (Red or Black) but I was kinda hoping to get them all at once.

Reactions: nes

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Hey @KSliger, is there a timeline for the 550/560 handles? To finish out my Sliger build, I need to get the handle, a bifurcated riser, AIO adapters, and 2x vented side panels (Red or Black) but I was kinda hoping to get them all at once.

I'd get the case now, not planning another coupon till Black Friday. (Will be a coupon for Quakecon but will be a % and not be as much of a discount on 550/560 as this one is.)

Hi @KSliger,
Thank you for all your work and involvement with the community. It's been great following the evolution of this case.

I'm planning on getting a SM550 for my next build, but I really want the handle. Will the handle kit be compatible with an existing SM550 or will it require a newer version of the case? I'm wondering if I should get the case now to take advantage of the discount or wait until the handled version comes out.

Thanks!

Handles are still a work in progress for the 550/560 and most likely will be an August thing. Will require a new sub-top metal bracket. Difficult to make the existing handle work with the 550/560 due to the possible handle screw stabbing the riser issue.

Happy that you all are here to get your feedback & input. =]

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
@KSliger I don't mean to re-post a question, but in case you missed it... Do you know yet if the panel style from the SM570/580 is going to make it to the SM550/560? That, plus the option to order without an I/O has me very excited for a future build. :)

blakedabarbarian

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2019
@KSliger My SM560 came in the mail today man. So good, I'm so excited to build in this case, MOBO & CPU come tomorrow, then I'm just waiting on some Pslate cables. One question about the ssd bracket though, the screw that holds the bracket down gets in the way of the sata power connector? Do you have any suggestions on how to mount/route sata cables for two drives?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger My SM560 came in the mail today man. So good, I'm so excited to build in this case, MOBO & CPU come tomorrow, then I'm just waiting on some Pslate cables. One question about the ssd bracket though, the screw that holds the bracket down gets in the way of the sata power connector? Do you have any suggestions on how to mount/route sata cables for two drives?

Flip the drive around so you are reading the back, connector will line up with the gap on top or bottom next to the thumb screw.

Will need "straight in" style SATA and SATA power cables, none of the that 90 degree connector nonsense.

@KSliger I don't mean to re-post a question, but in case you missed it... Do you know yet if the panel style from the SM570/580 is going to make it to the SM550/560? That, plus the option to order without an I/O has me very excited for a future build. :)

No IO is coming to the 560, but 550 still has lots of inventory with IO I need to use up.

For panels, really can't say right now, maybe? Depends how popular it would be and how sales go, might be a good way to refresh the case line around November.

Reactions: Brude27

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Yea it for sure is pretty odd @Bioforce . It seems though that will at least be fixed quickly. Someone flashed to an earlier bios and that mostly fixed the boost issue, but not the hwmonitor errors. It does look like the benchmark scores will go up if this was happening to all of them though.

I’m curios to see if these issues will affect performance on X470 and b450 boards. Most reviews show close to parity on X570 vs 470 now. Basically are the newer bios X570 boards going to pull ahead ? The b450 boards not get the bios love? Thinking of the 3700x and Asus b450i or 3600 on my existing AsRock B450 itx. SM570 case.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Hard to say @TheHig . I would not think the current boards would be affected with the bug but who knows. I am going to use my Strix x470 for the time being. I may grab the Strix 560 but we shall see. My 3700x will arrive tomorrow. I will try to keep an eye on it's boosting.

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Interested to see how it goes for you @wsgroves

I have a Microcenter locally so 50 off the board with a Ryzen 3k cpu. Not sure how long that will run. I don’t NEED a board since I already have the AsRock b450 but the Strix B450 for 109 is pretty strong. 2 m.2 slots is the main selling point for me. — already have a few drives.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I believe that if you populate both m.2 slots, it drops the gpu to 8x. I could be wrong but I think that is what it does on my x470 itx.
That's about the only reason I would buy a x570. To get two full speed m.2 slots. Does not matter then if it drops the gpu to 8x.
I am glad I don't live close to a microcenter. I did when compusa used to be around. Way too easy haha.

edit. Interesting article. I am not sure at this hour what to make of it.

Last edited:

jar555

Case Bender
Jul 9, 2019
@KSliger Are there any dust filters for the sm550 vented sides? Demcifilter only seem to have the top and bottom filters. If not, what is the length and height of the vented sides?

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
edit. Interesting article. I am not sure at this hour what to make of it.

Interesting. It seems AMD is having more than a couple teething issues with the new chips/chipset. I'm curious how much of this is due to the motherboard itself forcing higher powerdraw. some manufacturers design their motherboards to trick the CPU into thinking it's drawing less power than it is so that it pulls more and thus boosts to higher clocks by default. A shady practice, in my opinion, and one that could be causing these results if they felt that Ryzen 3000 chips had more room to be juiced than previous generations.

LSDemise

Caliper Novice
Jun 7, 2019
All these X570 issues are giving me cold feet, and I don’t have anything taking advantage of pcie 4. I’m considering getting a x470 board instead and asking Microcenter to flash it and saving some money.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
All these X570 issues are giving me cold feet, and I don’t have anything taking advantage of pcie 4. I’m considering getting a x470 board instead and asking Microcenter to flash it and saving some money.

Personally, I'm just holding off until later in the month before making any decisions. It will be about a week before Silicon Lottery has binned Zen 2 chips in stock anyway, and I'm hoping by then we'll have some more answers.