Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Polski03

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
Spend more to get a Z270 ITX serverboard or recrtified, there is very little performance gain for switching to a 9700K or 3700X.

Will be spending $250-$300 on it, but better than $500 for new CPU + MB for almost zero performance gain - throw the difference into a better GPU.
Pretty loaded question @Polski03 . How far are you downsizing? Im my particular case, I like the SM560 a lot. If you are going to use something that size, to me, it makes a heck of a lot of sense to stick to one of the 65 watt tdp parts like the 3600 or 3700x. They are simply much easier to cool than the higher watt tdp counterparts.
Certain games like Far Cry 5 start to show some limitations in a 6 core so I decided to go back to a 8 core cpu in the 3700x. I had a 2700x but found it too hard to keep cool with the small coolers like the Noctura L9a. I downgraded to a 2600 and it was miles easier to keep cool and stays quiet. Quiet is my main factor anymore in hardware.
You have to determine exactly what you want out of it. I could easily upgrade to a SM580 case and go all out, I simply don't need to with the 3700x.

@KSliger is right. To me however, I rather spend some more to get a lot of updated tech and a cool running cpu, rather than dumping that kind of money on a old system. Its older and still good, but there won't be any room to move up again in the future. z270 is a dead end chipset.
I would look around for some deals on ebay. I'm sure lots of ppl getting rid of 2x Ryzen processors, and even new ones were on hella good sales.

On a different note, I hope everyone who celebrates it had a great 4th.

Better GPU isnt needed to me as I already have a 2080ti and I ordered the SM580. Also I'm not a fan of buying used and couldnt find any refurb z270s besides with the pricing of those used boards it almost equaled to a new i5 or ryzen 5 with a new mobo.

Star316

Cable Smoosher
Mar 23, 2019
Also, if you're using an AIO you most likely will need a dedicated header for the pump. So in that case you would need at least two. One for the 4 fans and one for the pump.
Hey, I am also planning to use the X570i Gigabyte motherboard.

So if I were to go with a AIO setup in the SM580, would it be recommended to plug the pump into the CPU header and connect all the other 4 fans in the case to the header splitter? I am also using 4 Noctua fans (Chromax), will I run into any noticeable issues?

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
You can plug a pump into the cpu fan header. Possibly have to turn off a no cpu fan warning in the bios though. Varies by manufacturer. May have to adjust the speed also.
Like Bio said, you possibly could run 4 fans off of one header, as long as the 4 fans don't exceed what the connector is capable of.
I personally would not. Very useful to at least be able to control them as two sets. Anxious to know exactly how many ports the gigabyte has.
I would return it immediately if it does indeed only have 2 usable.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018

So if I were to go with a AIO setup in the SM580, would it be recommended to plug the pump into the CPU header and connect all the other 4 fans in the case to the header splitter? I am also using 4 Noctua fans (Chromax), will I run into any noticeable issues?

The 140mm Chromax fans have an input current of 0.13 amps. Most motherboard headers max out at 1 Amp as far as I know, but I think Gigabyte's max out higher than that since they advertise them as "hybrid" headers that can run pumps too instead of having a dedicated pump header like some boards do. You should be OK plugging them all into one header with a splitter so long as the splitter is good quality and has a high amperage rating. At this point it is unclear to me how Gigabyte has their fan headers laid out, but if it does only have two headers, one being for the CPU fan and the other being for the case fans, I would personally plug the pump into the case fan header, and the fans into the CPU fan header since they are technically your CPU fans. Since you will probably be keeping your pump speed constant, but setting your fans to react to CPU temps, I would think it would make more sense to have them monitored on the CPU fan header.

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
You can plug a pump into the cpu fan header. Possibly have to turn off a no cpu fan warning in the bios though. Varies by manufacturer. May have to adjust the speed also.
Like Bio said, you possibly could run 4 fans off of one header, as long as the 4 fans don't exceed what the connector is capable of.
I personally would not. Very useful to at least be able to control them as two sets. Anxious to know exactly how many ports the gigabyte has.

I ended up cancelling my order from Newegg. kinda got cold feet and all that after reading/viewing ryzen 3000 reviews.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

I would get something like this fan splitter from Newegg, SATA powered and PWM. You will probably want all 4 case fans running at the same speed anyway and this makes sure you have enough power for all of them.

3dl1r

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 6, 2019
I also have been watching the reviews, seems like intel is still best gaming platform. I am not interested in gaming, but the applications that i use most of the time are dependent on single core performance. I was not aware of this fact when i built my pc more than 1 year and a half ago with ryzen 7 1700x and radeon pro wx 7100. I thought the number of cores was important. No issues apart that i had to RMA g.skill flarex 2400mhz ram modules and at the meantime i took team dark pro c14 so that my mind would be at peace. I got rtx 2080 strix OC edition when it launched as the radeon pro wx7100 was not meeting my expectations. Long story short, now i have a professional GPU lying around altogether with flare x ram memory modules. The thing is that i don`t need to utilize a 750w pc for daily tasks. If a core i5 is better for cad work than an octa core ryzen, i thought that building am even smaller pc with a 450w psu at most inside a small case, would also look good on the desk. So, what do you think, should i build an intel platform or go on with ryzen ?

Right now i am in favour of ryzen 3600 as it is only 65w, whereas intel 9600k is 95w. What do you think?

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I ended up cancelling my order from Newegg. kinda got cold feet and all that after reading/viewing ryzen 3000 reviews.

Really? So far most people have been pretty happy with the reviews. They generally smoke the 9900K in anything multithreaded and are nearly on par for anything single threaded, all while having nearly 1/3 the power draw at full load when comparing with the most power hungry of the Ryzen 3000's. Given how cool these run compared to the 9900K it shouldn't be too much of a task to overclock them to make up the difference in single threaded performance.

3dl1r

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 6, 2019
Better GPU isnt needed to me as I already have a 2080ti and I ordered the SM580. Also I'm not a fan of buying used and couldnt find any refurb z270s besides with the pricing of those used boards it almost equaled to a new i5 or ryzen 5 with a new mobo.
My principle is that later platforms are better. But, in such case, I think you should keep the 7700k. I have been looking at a lot of reviews and 7700k is one crazy fast cpu. I wish i was not so obsessed with cores back then when i built my pc.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Right now i am in favour of ryzen 3600 as it is only 65w, whereas intel 9600k is 95w. What do you think?

Make sure you keep in mind that Intel basically lies about their TDP's. AMD measures TDP at the rated boost clocks, while Intel measures their TDP at BASE clocks. This means that Intel's TDP's are realistically two or more times higher than what they claim. This is why the AMD 3900X draws nearly 1/3 as much power under load as a 9900K despite having a "higher" TDP rating.

Polski03

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
My principle is that later platforms are better. But, in such case, I think you should keep the 7700k. I have been looking at a lot of reviews and 7700k is one crazy fast cpu. I wish i was not so obsessed with cores back then when i built my pc.
Yeah I knew when I got it but it's really hard to find a z270 itx mobo right now since they dont make them and everyone else is charging $300+ for a used one

3dl1r

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 6, 2019
@3dl1r I would not run a rtx 2080 with a 450 watt psu.
[/QUO
TE]
No, i will keep the system i have intact. I am going to build another system with radeon pro wx 7100 which is a 150 w gpu , also it is a single slot card, basically it is a rx 480 but has ISV certifications (don t know what they are but amd assures drivers are optimized for CAD applications.
I think a sliger sm550 is great for me, so i could easily carry it from home to office or else. I wish the handle issue it has is solved soon.

3dl1r

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 6, 2019
Make sure you keep in mind that Intel basically lies about their TDP's. AMD measures TDP at the rated boost clocks, while Intel measures their TDP at BASE clocks. This means that Intel's TDP's are realistically two or more times higher than what they claim. This is why the AMD 3900X draws nearly 1/3 as much power under load as a 9900K despite having a "higher" TDP rating.
I have almost decided, i might get a ryzen 5 3600 and pair it with a good itx board, ryzen 7 3700x is great but i already have a system with 16 threads, i need mostly the single core speed

Star316

Cable Smoosher
Mar 23, 2019
Unfortunately, it seems like the X570I Aorus only has 2 fan headers according to this video:

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I saw a thread on reddit about some bios issues on x570 are affecting the boost clocks. I don't have the thread handy.
Thanks for the update on the Gigabyte itx. Sad.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I saw a thread on reddit about some bios issues on x570 are affecting the boost clocks. I don't have the thread handy.
Thanks for the update on the Gigabyte itx. Sad.

I'm rather curious about this as well. All the reviews I've seen show that they can't get the 3900x past 4.3 GHz most of the time, but none of the reviewers actually address WHY. I heard that AMD didn't release the fully optimized BIOS until the last minute to prevent leaks, but did they seriously not provide them to reviewers? Were they NDA'd into simply not addressing the poor boost clocks?

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
It's just weird to me that none of them really talked about it. I think it's a pretty damn big deal that the chips aren't hitting their rated boost clocks.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Yea it for sure is pretty odd @Bioforce . It seems though that will at least be fixed quickly. Someone flashed to an earlier bios and that mostly fixed the boost issue, but not the hwmonitor errors. It does look like the benchmark scores will go up if this was happening to all of them though.

dfsaqwe

Cable Smoosher
Jun 12, 2019
I'll get some layout ideas running and post some renders, there's a few spots to fit a pump or a pump/res.

For the Apogee drive I could probably CNC a replacement top plate to reduce the height on it to fit, or will talk to Swiftech if they can do it OEM.

haha i think the renders would suffice for now :) thanks for the reply.

for the apogee though, from: http://www.swiftech.com/ApogeeDrive2.aspx#tab3
heatsink would have to be 6mm. think that would be enough?