Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

cmill

Caliper Novice
May 21, 2019
What is everyones thoughts on the USB C / USB A / Audio front panel board?

Between the tariff increase and now AMD and Intel unable to agree on a USB header standard we are considering dropping the front panel board entirely and cutting the price on the cases $10 each.

Let me know your opinion.

I honestly would prefer just the on/off button and nothing else. I was planning on not putting the logic board in the case anyways.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Thank you!

Seeing what we can do to get it changed to both USB C and USB A go to a single 19-pin header on the old style USB 3.0 header. This will work with both Intel and AMD.

Might not have the full speed of SS+++ 3.2 G3+ or whatever BS but I'm so annoyed with USB consortium at this point who cares.

WGD118

Cable Smoosher
May 21, 2019
I personally feel like a front USB port is crucial and I personally prefer the fastest one possible.

For me the reason being that I use the front USB port for flash drives and if I am transferring a large file the speed and time it takes matters. So the faster the front port the better, in terms of USB-C I don't see the point I would only use it for charging my phone and even in that situation I don't think it would be rated for enough amps. As for a front audio port I feel like we have all moved to USB for audio unless you are an audiophile in which case you wouldn't use a 3.5mm.

So if you wanted to drop down to 1 front USB port with support for the newer USB standards that seems like the best option.

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Yeah, I definitely use my front panel USB slots and front panel audio a fair amount for headphones. I'm waffling between the Cerberus and 580 right now and the lack of front panel audio on the Cerberus is a little advantage for the SM series cases for me anyway.

Reactions: Talyrius

1s44c

Caliper Novice
Mar 30, 2019
Personally I feel that front audio is pointless, as any audio quality becomes an unknown quantity once you add the front audio with unknown cable quality, as well as unknown port quality. USB ports are nice to haves, but they are not necessary.

Reactions: Mango and Bioforce

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019

Between the tariff increase and now AMD and Intel unable to agree on a USB header standard we are considering dropping the front panel board entirely and cutting the price on the cases $10 each.

Already posted on Reddit so don't count me as a double vote, but I'd be good with just 2x USB 3.0 Type A ports, no 3.5" audio needed. It's not an issue of AMD or Intel agreeing on a standard, you can see some AMD boards like the Asus C8I have the USB 3.1 header (see it just above the right-angle SATA ports). It's an issue of people choosing to include it or not. Right now, most desktop peripherals are USB-A, whereas mobile is really coalescing around USB-C, so I'm fine with forgoing Type-A on my desktops for a few more years. Maybe USB4 will sort everything out nice and tidy.

Seeing what we can do to get it changed to both USB C and USB A go to a single 19-pin header on the old style USB 3.0 header. This will work with both Intel and AMD.

Might not have the full speed of SS+++ 3.2 G3+ or whatever BS but I'm so annoyed with USB consortium at this point who cares.
USB A+C with the single 19-pin USB3.0 header standard would be fine, too, if that's readily available and easy to implement.

Given the choice of having Front IO and not having it, I'll take the IO. But right now the 3.1 + 3.0 + HD Audio headers are a lot of cables for little benefit when most boards can't use them yet.

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
Realistically speaking, what do you guys have that utilizes USB 3.2 that is so critical that you could never tolerate to use 3.1 or reach around back/get a hub? I'm perfectly content with USB 3.1 or even 2 speeds, especially on a front panel.

While I prefer Type C as it's the port of the future, as well as for aesthetics, I'm fine with Type a or nothing.

I'm also fine with it just being a clean slate, just please keep the cut-outs to break it up a little.

Chimpee

Cable Smoosher
May 23, 2019

For 10 bucks, I would keep it and would better if you can include a type C header. Don't care much for front panel audio, never use it.

roscoejp

Chassis Packer
Mar 28, 2019
My vote would be for the USB A+C with the single 19-pin USB3.0 header.
Hard to find any ITX AMD boards with the new front panel connector and it severely limits mobo compatibility if you want to actually utilize all of the front panel ports.
Right now the USB C port is just taking up space (on AMD boards) - at least if you used the old header we could use it for charging or peripherals.

arjan2856

Cable Smoosher
Jul 16, 2018
I'd be happy with just a power button and keep the case design clean. These USB ports are a mess. If you really need front USB get a hub with the appropriate ports you require. Front audio pretty much useless.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I like having a couple of USB ports, but I don't think I've ever used front panel audio. 10 bucks seems like a pretty small fraction of the overall case, that I'd rather have it than not at that price point.

Reactions: Bioforce

TheLobsterHatMan

Cable Smoosher
May 20, 2019
My vote would be for the USB A+C with the single 19-pin USB3.0 header.
Hard to find any ITX AMD boards with the new front panel connector and it severely limits mobo compatibility if you want to actually utilize all of the front panel ports.
Right now the USB C port is just taking up space (on AMD boards) - at least if you used the old header we could use it for charging or peripherals.

I agree 100%.

Mango

Trash Compacter
Apr 10, 2016
My vote is either front panel USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A (+ Type-C if possible) or no front panel I/O at all.

Front panel audio is questionable due to internal wiring and EMI especially in a small case. Rear panel audio at least has direct traces on the motherboard but my preference would be using my own USB DAC. I really don't see the convenience of front panel audio when you only need to plug in your headphones & mic once into the back and never think about it again.

As for USB, support the fastest protocol as possible so that the case is futureproof. Many high-end motherboards are including a rear USB 3.1 Type-C port nowadays so if it had to go from the front panel, it wouldn't be a huge loss. Only a few devices really use Type-C (phones, battery packs) though I am starting to see some high-end monitors using DP-alternative mode via USB Type-C for display and power. In those cases, a front panel Type-C port would be necessary if for some weird reason you can't or don't want to use a DP or HDMI cable.

Talyrius

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2018
Is it possible to leave the choice up to us by making it a configuration option? I realize it's more cost effective to go with a single solution. However, for the people that have a board with the new USB header, they'd probably be willing to spend extra to take advantage of the extra speed/power it brings. Utilizing the new header is more expensive than just using the old one, so those who need/want it should bear the extra costs. Additionally, by making it modular, if and when we upgrade to a board that has the new header, we can simply order the other IO module from you and swap it out.

Regardless of which option you decide to go with, I still think keeping a single USB Type-A and Type-C port is the best solution for the foreseeable future. I definitely want to keep the 3.5mm audio jacks. They're such a convenience, why does everyone always want to do away with them!? A lot of motherboards include op-amps that improve front/rear audio or both. I'd hate to lose access to such a feature.

Reactions: 1s44c and Bioforce